Wanted: note-taking app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Evangelion, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Evangelion macrumors 68040

I use both Linux and OS X. And one of the things that is sorely missing in OS X, is a decent app to take notes. Yes, I have looked around. Sidenote? Annoying and obtrusive. Mori? Complicated. Tinderbox? Doesn't look like an app I'm looking for. VoodooPad? Costs mucho money and looks too complicated. There just doesn't seem to be simple and straighforward tool for taking notes in OS X. Make that a _free_ app that is simple and straightforward. A zero-hassle app that just works.

What am I using as a benchmark here? Tomboy. That is the kind of app I'm looking for. In Linux/GNOME it works like this: There's an icon in the taskbar. You click on it, and you get a menu with all your notes listed in there. Want to open an existing note? Just click on one of the existing notes. Want to create a new note? Just click on "Create a new Note". How do you save notes after you have typed them? Just close the editing-window, and they are automatically saved. It's so simple and un-obtrusive. It doesn't seem like rocket-science, yet such an app is sorely missing in OS X :(.

2. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Here, I just came across this today at Digg.com and not only did it help me but it will help you.

http://theappleblog.com/2007/01/22/note-taking-application-faceoff/

let us know what you go with!

also, take note of the comments at the bottom there are a lot more recommendations of note taking apps that follow apple blog's.

Personally, i really like xPad and it is now freeware.

3. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

That was actually the inspiration for my question :). Apps mentioned there cost money and seem overtly complicated. As to stickies.... They would be all over the place, not elegant at all.

4. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Well the first app on the list, Journler, is absolutely free, and though i havent used too much of it, i find it to be a fairly solid note taking application.

5. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I would recommend Journler. It's free for personal use. I've used Journler more and more recently, and I think it would perfect for notes, logs, journals (duh!), etc. You can also make audio or video entries with Journler.

Journler

6. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

It does seem interesting, but it seems so... complex. It seems like overkill. A whole window full of toolbar-buttons, columns, calendar, folders, tabs... Journier looks like notes, email, calendar and journal all rolled in to one. I would like to get something simple and easy to use. But I'll give Journier a shot, thanks for the suggestion both of you :).

7. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

What do you guys think about myNotes? Apart from the fact you have to pay for it, do you think it's good? I've tried it out, but what do you guys think?

8. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Btw I'm also looking for a Notetaking App for school. I don't mind if you have to pay for it, but which would be best? Also would these be good for essay writing?

9. indiean macrumors member

Try notational velocity, which is free, or trapper keeper (which lives in your menu bar).

as far as taking notes for school, I'm trying to figure out the same thing!

10. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Last year I used Word with the notebook layout to take notes in class. I have recently found a program called Notebook, which you have to pay for, but it seems to be an actual digital notebook, complete with contents etc.

I'm thinking of using this for notes and then Pages to type up Essays this year.

11. LeningradCowboy macrumors newbie

LeningradCowboy

12. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

VoodooPad. Perfect. Based on the idea of data storage as a wiki - fantastic linking, simple yet powerful. You'll make connections between notes and organize it like the web.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not everything can be free, sometimes you have to pay for the quality apps. :rolleyes:

that said, there are many many options out there for taking notes, and they just about all have free trial periods. download and play around with them. just because they look 'complicated' doesn't mean that they have to. don't judge an app based on screenshots. try it. since you know what you want you're best option is to try out a multitude of them and see what works for you.

14. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

My vote goes to viJournal. Basically a daily journal-ing software. Works well. Pretty simple.

15. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3