wanted to get MX 900 but seller said it was not mac-compatible...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bluemoon, Aug 29, 2004.

1. bluemoon macrumors member

Aug 2, 2004
    can someone help me out on this one? i visited this forum and tot there were many reccomending the logitech MX 900 bluetooth mouse... so i was happily goin to like goin to buy it today when i ask the salesman and he said that it's not compatible...:( sigh.... can someone clarify this? i saw the box and true to his words, nothing said of mac compatiblity. i am from singapore here so not sure if the MX 900 is the one which you guys have been talkin about around here... the package comes with this bluetooth hub thing etc etc... will really appreciate advice on this..thanks in advance...^^
  2. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2001
    Europe (EU)
    It's not compatible.

Check logitech's website and see for yourself.
  3. bux macrumors regular

Apr 22, 2004
    "Not compatible", but still... it works on the Mac =)
  4. bluemoon thread starter macrumors member

Aug 2, 2004
    hmmm... so i suppose i will be better off waitin for the new BT mac mouse den.... oh well... guess i will stick with my old wired mouse for the moment.... hee...
  5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    It's really a shame Logitech doesn't fully support this mouse. It would be next to effortless to slap together some Mac drivers, and they'd make a ton of money. I have the MX700 and love it, and would buy the MX900 in a heartbeat if it had proper drivers. I'm sure many other people feel the same way.
  6. Pass2Yao macrumors member

Aug 26, 2004
    Avondale Estates, GA
  7. Too Many Toys macrumors member

Dec 8, 2003
    Midwest, USA
    I'm using the MX 900 with a G5 iMac with no problems. Even mapped some of the buttons for Expose.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to get the forward/back buttons working with a browser?
  8. Digital_Gary macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2004
    Until Logitech releases drivers, I don't think you'll be able to. I have been using an MX900 with my powerbook since they started shipping them. OS X just sees it as a basic bluetooth mouse. The scroll wheel, right and left buttons work like any 2 button mouse with scroll. Like Too Many Toys said, you can map the extra buttons for Exposé which for me are much more useful than forward and back buttons.
  9. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    Can you say Chi-City??
    I use this mouse and i too thought not having full Mac support would be a problem. But i find now that having Expose buttons is a lot more useful than using them for a browser or what not.
  10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    As others have said, it works just fine, as do other BT mice that "aren't mac compatible." You just can't map the extra buttons for anything other than exposé functions.

So I guess it depends on how you define "working."
  11. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Oct 23, 2004
    Phoenix AZ
    From what I've heard people say, and from what I've seen it is.
  12. mrpaperknife macrumors member

Nov 8, 2004
    Louisville, the Derby city
    additional question to those of you using the mx900

I use the mx900 on my ibook g4. My ibook has the built-in bluetooth card but I was wondering, and maybe some might know, if the logitech bluetooth charger/"wireless hub" works on a mac?

If so, I might not buy any future macs BTO.

I would test this myself, but I wouldn't know how to issolate the built in card from the external.

13. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    I have used the MX900 for 6 months now on a Powerbook, and now on a Powermac.

You can program the buttons for Expose functions, but not to serve as "Back", "Forward" in web browsers.

This mouse rocks, I recommend it highly.
  14. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    for back and forward for web browsing, check out mouse gesture plug-ins for firefox. depress right-click and move in the direction wanted. i have found Optimoz Mouse Gestures to work the best.
  15. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    Not to turn this thread into a marketplace but... I have an MX900 for sale with box and all disks if anyone wants to buy it - used only a few times - I found I don't need it - i preffer to use my wacom tablet as an input device. $50.00 + shipping/obo - PM if you're interested and I can email some photos.
  16. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2004
    Forget the MX900. If you don't care about having a little recharging station hooked into your Mac, then go with the MX1000. It has the same amount of buttons as the MX900 (and the MX700, and the MX500, and the MX510), but it included a scroll wheel that tilts to go sideways, as well as fricken laser beam instead of an LED on the underside.

It's the most precise mouse on the market, even though it is wireless. It's wireless technology that it uses is fasted than USB, so there is no problems whatsoever.

And it's cheaper than the MX900 (I think).