Wanted to switch but it wasn't meant to be, Ebay Fraud

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Yomama, May 28, 2003.

1. Yomama macrumors newbie

Little while ago I posted at Thinksecret.com forum about my switch to Apple and purchase of a G4 dual 1.25 GHZ on Ebay. I was really excited but I got dissapointed real soon. Here is what happend.

On April 25th 2003 I purchased an Apple G4 Personal Computer at EBay from seller "faded6662005".

The item was priced at US $1,699.00 and had no bids. I contacted Mr. Divin asking him if he would agree to sell the item for US $1550 including shipping. He agreed to the price and I sent him the money via Paypal.

After I paid he wouldn't reply to my emails and didn't close the auction. It took me several e-mail’s with the subject "Paypal Fraud Department" in order to get a response from him saying he couldn't figure out how to close an auction. He closed the auction 30 min later. Several hours later I searched for his username and found he was selling the same computer again on a different auction. I contacted him via e-mail and he told me it was a mix-up. I didn’t feel comfortable and asked him for his phone number, he told me he doesn't give out personal information over the internet.

I got suspicious and contacted Paypal fraud department informing them of my situation. The representative at Paypal told me to file a complaint and Mr. Divin would have 10 days to show them a tracking number or an shipping receipt. At the same time they also informed me it would take up to 30 days to get my money back. I asked if I should inform my credit card company and he told me to wait 30 days and see if Paypal could recover my funds. However, that same day I contacted Mastercard and told them my situation but I was told once again to wait 30 days before submitting this letter.

In the meantime I had several e-mail conversations with Mr.Divin and he came up with all kinds of excuses. - He had to wait until the money cleared his Paypal account. - He couldn’t remember what item I had purchased - He was working 12 hour days at Oregon Canadian lumber - He would send it out next week - Paypal closed his account and he wouldn’t ship the item and that I should leave him alone.

I contacted Paypal several times regarding my claim. I noticed I had a pending reverse transaction of US $1,489.25 from Mr. Divin’s account to my account. During the 5 or 6 times I contacted Paypal I was told my claim was under investigation and it would take 30 days.

On May 27th I received an email from Paypal stating the following:

“PayPal has concluded our investigation of your buyer complaint. Case ID: Transaction Date: Apr 24, 2003 Transaction Amount: -$1,550.00 Seller's Email: Seller's Name: Jesse Divin Our investigation has determined that the seller is at fault, and we have recovered your funds. $18.47 has been credited to your account. This is the maximum amount we were able to recover. Please allow up to 5 days for this adjustment to be reflected in your account. We appreciate your business, and regret this experience. “

I contacted Paypal and asked them what happened to my money. The representative told me that $18.47 US was all they could recover and that my claim was still under investigation. I was extremely shocked to hear that this was all they had accomplished in 30 days.

The End

Anyway this is my story. Sorry couldn't switch. I'm back with windows. I guess I have to save up for a while.

2. smada macrumors member

19 DOLLARS? Is mastercard going to do anything about it?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I hope you contacted the credit card company, always contact the credit card company "within" the fraud window, even if everyone tells you they are "working on it"

Paypal and the companies on the other end always want to burn through the chargeback period so the money isn't taken out of their pocket.

4. Yomama thread starter macrumors newbie

RE:

I did contact Mastercard as well as

1) Mail Fraud w/ US Postal Service
    2) National Fraud Information Center
    3) FBI's Internet Fraud Complaint Center
    4) Federal Trade Commission
    5) Better Business Bureau

I haven't heard back from either one.
    So will see what happens. I also have an auction at Ebay with the same letter and the subject "**FRAUD** - Be aware of Jesse Divin "

5. evil macrumors 6502

man. im really sorry about what happened to you. i hope some more will come your way in regards to this whole mess.
    i would try and complain to everyone imaginable in paypal. how the hell could they recover 18 dollars of it?
    also, did you notify ebay as well?
    is this guy still auctioning things off?

6. Yomama thread starter macrumors newbie

RE:

I noticed later he was selling Imac's with parts Apple didn't manufacture. I don't know if he changed his username but I'm sure if he is a scammer he knows how to get around the system.

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Do this

Get the guys IP address. Contact him and get it some how. I would track him down if I were you and get all his personal information. Find someone close to the guy and tell them to go down there. I would be pissed as hell.

But what are YOU thinking?
    First- Does he have feedback

Second- What is up with his name (fraud name)

Third- You should have gotten his information before you sent the cash. I would never send cash to a guy when I only had his email.

The list can go on and on. When prices are really flexible like that its probly going to be a fraud. When someone says you can buy it for 1600, and then say "Need to sell it now, I will sell it for 1200 shipped!" Its a fraud!

8. mathew macrumors newbie

I feel pretty badly for you - I would really hate for that to happen to me.

Here is what I was able to find out:

According to his auctions, his e-mail address is: faded6662003@yahoo.com

A lot of people don't put two and two together, but people can have a public profile on Yahoo!

You can find his at: http://profiles.yahoo.com/faded6662003

Based off this, I could assume the following:

a) He is really smart, uses the same code name everywhere, and put false info on his public yahoo profile.

OR

b) He is pretty dumb, and he doesn't think anyone will look up his Yahoo! profile.

I'm going to guess B, since he has some stupid stuff on his profile, and if he were smart, he would have serious stuff that wouldn't scare anyone away.

Based off that, I think it might be safe to think his name if Jesse Divin.

Also, notice his location is listed as Beaverton.

A quick search on Google reveals only one Beaverton - Beaverton, Oregon.

Another search ( Using USSearch.com ) for Divin living in Beaverton Oregon shows a Constance L. Divin - supposedly 47 years old....

A shot in the dark, but she would be old enough to be his Mom if he really is 21. It also shows that there are Divins in the area.

I'd suggest calling the Beaverton, OR police dept. and just check and see if they know of a Jesse Divin - Can't hurt if you've already contacted all the other listed agencies.

http://www.ci.beaverton.or.us/departments/police/

Hope some of this is of some help, and isn't too far fetched.

-Mathew

9. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Nice work mathew

I say call... tell his mom what he has done. Seriously.

Even if you don't get your money back, you can make his life difficult.

arn

10. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I tried to look up the last name "Divin" living in Beaverton on Superpages.com, but it didn't find anything, nor did it find any "Divin" in nearby areas. Either:

a) Unlisted number

b) Not real name

EDIT: Searching for "Divin" nationwide yielded 165 results. I can't investigate any of them further because I'm not over 18 and can't see his Yahoo! profile. Also, I don't see why he'd use his real name and not real location.

It's a real shot in the dark, but here's the link:

http://directory.superpages.com:80/...&PI=1&STYPE=WS&WF=&WL=Divin&T=&S=&search=Find

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

yeah.... actually, if you call Information for Beaverton, OR. There is no "Divin".

:)

arn

12. pmac933 macrumors newbie

There are other people on Ebay who have done business with him. Maybe you can try contacting them and see if they can give you a mailing address. Hopefully, it will not be a drop box. That being said, I wonder if the USPS would give you a name of a PO Box leasee in a case such as this.

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

dude, that's a bummer that you lost all that money. but i guess all you can do is like Arn said - keep tracking him down and "make his life difficult."

14. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

You should post negative feedback and get his account suspended (he only has 8 positives), doing this obviously has advantages and disadvantages.

AppleMatt

edit: My mistake he's already gone

15. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Yeah do what pmac933 suggested, contact (all the) other eBayers (who have sold to him) and tell them what has happened, you might get a shipping address, which you can put together with matthew's stuff above, and really start to get somewhere.

AppleMatt

16. Datazoid macrumors regular

Well....here's what I've got so far. Assuming he isn't lying, there is a gym (straight blast gym http://www.thomasbrown.net/straightblastgym/page.asp?section=index) that teaches Jeet Kun Do (in his profile) in beaverton, OR. In addition, Pacific University www.pacificu.edu is very near Beaverton, and they have an online directory of students, but you must be a student to view it. In addition, his quote seems to be that of a "Samuel Johnson"...

17. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Places to look for help

http://www.fraud.org/

http://paypalsuit.com/

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/ua-outside

http://news.com.com/2100-1017-842240.html

http://ecommerce.internet.com/news/news/article/0,,10375_2211651,00.html

http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/1470291

http://www.techtv.com/cybercrime/internetfraud/story/0,23008,3370214,00.html

In short, if you use eBay to buy something, use a legitimate escrow, NOT PAYPAL. Paypal is owned by ebay, and is not regulated like a bank. They can do, more or less, whatever they want, to whomever, at any time.

Before you get to serious about this, remove all funds from your paypal account, because it can be frozen for no reason! :mad:

Good luck :)

18. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

Man that sucks; I hate it for you. I was really paranoid when I bought my Airport Base Station a few weeks ago, but everything turned out OK. Threads like this make me think twice about buying anything from eBay especially anything over $200. I recently read about a website run by a cop called ebayerswhosuck.com or something like that - kind of like an "e-vigilante" group; they might be able to help you track him down. . .

19. Moopy Sac macrumors member

I hate to see someone soil such a cool website such as ebay. I can't imagine this joker is using his real name, but if he is, I found some more info for you. Hope it helps a little.

Jesse B Divin
    DOB: 6/3/81
    2385 195th Ave SW
    Beaverton, OR 97006

Additional household member: Connie, born 1956

This address was last updated 2/12/03

20. djtet macrumors regular

hey there...i really feel sorry for you and your situation. it's hard for me to believe that people get away with this kind of fraud. you would think that someone would be able to do something, especially the credit card company or paypal. i've been recently surfing the ebay pages for a used emac or imac, but not having much money, i really don't want to bid on such a high priced auction. mainly because i am nervous about getting screwed! i really hope you get you $ back...

21. Yomama thread starter macrumors newbie

RE:

Thank you guys for your help.
    I'm wondering if I could find out where he is working.

I contacted the Police department in Beaverton.
    They took my information and gave me a case number.

Anway. I found the wbsite http://www.ebayersthatsuck.com

22. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Just out of curiosity...anyone out there have significant enough experience to know the absolute do's and dont's one should follow on eBay from both a seller and buyer standpoint?

I've taken the eBay plunge a couple times and thank god, not been screwed. My girlfriend and I have a couple iBooks (1 ea.) that we were considering putting up, but we don't want to get taken for a ride. I assumed Paypal was the best route as a seller.

Does anyone have a list they could post for us to reference in the future?

Best of luck to you, Yomama. I hope you nail the guy.

Literally.

To a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

23. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I have accounts on eBay, QXL and eBid. I used to have an account on Yahoo! Auctions before it ended. I buy and sell frequently.

Things to look out for are:

- Recent name changes/recently registered users.
    - A feedback profile that has only buy transactions in it, all from a long time ago.
    - A feedback profile with entries filled on the day of auction close.
    - If they are a seller, have they been selling, eg, macs before? It is iffy when someone who sells only books suddenly lands a 17" PowerBook on eBay (hijacked account).
    - No picture (no photo, not a website image)
    - Dodgey description, eg, "Brand new 12
    " PowerBook, I really love the light up keyboard on this."
    - A listing that contains an email address at the top or bottom.
    - Sellers that no nothing about the product when asked, I had one guy give me PC specs for a Mac I asked about.
    - Sellers that refuse to give you their details, eg, address and number.
    - SELLERS WHO REFUSE COLLECTION (big one, unless they have a good reason)
    - Also something I've noticed is sellers listing refurbs as new, this is fraud, don't accept it.
    - Finally use your gut, if you have any doubts, don't bid, there will be plenty more to bid on in a couple of days!

If I think of any more I'll post them.

AppleMatt

24. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I recently read an article about how eBay Fraud is rampant. That users sign up multiple accounts and give themselves stellar feedback. So contacting other buyers isn't necessarily a fool proof method. I can't believe Paypal couldn't return your money. What good is the service if those are the results.

You may want to chat with a lawyer. You may be able to take PayPal to small claims. Not that I agree with suing anyone, but it seems clear that they screwed up and the service is flawed.

25. elpinchegringo macrumors newbie

go to your credit card company. They should refund 100% of the difference between what you lost and what PayPal refunded. Then their lawyers will go after PayPal and young Mr. Divin.

Or you could show up on his doorstep with baseball bat in hand.