Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snicker71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
Hi all, about to make the switch, will be going to my local apple store in a couple of weeks to pick-up a MB 2.0 C2D white (stock). However there is one thing I need help with. Sorry if this has been asked before, I have searched the forums on this subject, but have'nt yet found a satisfactory answer. I want to get a wireless router that includes a usb print server for use with my samsung ml-1510 laser printer. I currently connect to the internet via a adsl usb modem, so I would like a router that includes a adsl modem if possible, but I'd settle for a seperate one (ethernet) if I have to. I' m in the UK and would appreciate any help you could give. Thanks in advance.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Apple Airport Express should work, unless you need an enet LAN port (2nd enet port) or some of the more advanced routing features of the Airport Extreme Base. I'm using the Extreme Base as a bridge on my LAN, and it's serving a Brother 2040 laser over USB.

There are a lot of 3rd party wireless routers, but honestly don't know of any particular model with a USB printer server (not to say there aren't - I've just not been paying attention...)

snicker71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
wireless router help.

Thanks for replying.
As for the APE, i've heard they tend to burn out after about a year of use, and Apple won't do anything about it, so i'd like to try something else.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Thanks for replying.
As for the APE, i've heard they tend to burn out after about a year of use, and Apple won't do anything about it, so i'd like to try something else.

Like most posts of problems, I'm pretty sure that's the exception, not the rule. Mine's been running for over 2 years, 24/7. Never touched it since original config. It's been through many power outages, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.