wanting a MacBook - my dilema

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by phuong, Oct 19, 2006.

1. phuong macrumors 6502a

i finally found an excuse to buy myself a MB.
    i'll choose between black/white, 1.83/2.0 and how much HDD later. right now the most important thing to me is, i want 2GB ram

the thing is, however i config it, Apple will give me a pair of ram (2x256, 2x512, 2x1024) which leaves me no spare slot for extra rams.

a 2x1GB kit for MB from Crucial is $334

-if i get 2x256 and replace them with Crucial ram, the 2x256 pair will probably be a waste cause i dont think anyone would buy them. if i would list them on eBay i think i would waste my listing fees.

-so, one option is to get the 2x512 pair because they're sellable. these are $90 plus whatever the price of the 2x256 pair. so ass soon ass i receive the MB, i sell those rams and buy the 2x1024 for $334 from Crucial.

-the most convenient option is, of course, the 2x1024 pair, from Apple, but it is $450 plus whatever the price os the 2x256 pair.

what do you think i should do?

2. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

it depends what you want to do.

do the third party but quality ram, make sure it has the lifetime warranty. or buy from apple. make sure it has applecare. and get 3 years of warranty. pay more for apple ram also.

you will have extra ram left over, but spend less in the end.

if that is a concern, you can also buy a macbook which is refurbished. look on apple.com's store.

beware it is rumored for new macbook's and macbook pro's coming very soon.

so if you want the latest, it will be updated, but if not, the also great macbooks which are old model, or refurbished ones, will be a great value at a reduced price.

your choice.

3. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

i dont mind about getting the latest model. so the rumors dont affect me.
    the refubs do, however, because i want to make sure the backlight is in good condition.

Crucial ram is pretty reputable.

all i want now is to get 2GB of ram, without paying unneccessary money.

4. YoNeX macrumors regular

YoNeX

I got a 1GB stick (Patriot) for $85 a couple of weeks ago at my local Frys. Prices were floating between $80~100 last I checked. Corsair are like $95 and Kingston are about $100. People have been claiming higher prices, so these prices may be a lot higher.

Still deciding whether or not to buy another stick or not.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you don't want to pay extra, don't buy it from Apple. Save the 2x256 sticks in case you have to send the computer in for repair.

6. reflex macrumors 6502a

This sounds like a lousy option. You'll pay extra for the 2x512MB without any guarantee that you'll be able to sell them at a reasonable price.

I'd go with the standard 2x256MB and replace that with the Crucial ram.

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Remember that if something goes wrong with your computer, Apple won't fix it if it doesn't have Apple RAM in it. So I would keep the Apple RAM instead of selling it.

I would've suggested getting 1GB from Apple since it's only $100 (or $90, if you've got the EDU discount) but they only offer 2x512 instead of 1x1024.

I think you should just pay the extra $100 and buy from Apple to avoid any selling troubles and whatnot. Also, if something goes wrong you don't have to worry about switching the Crucial RAM back to Apple RAM again, etc.

8. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

What?

That's absolutely not true. Adding 3rd party Ram does not invalidate the Apple warranty. If there's a RAM problem, chances are that they will not REPLACE 3rd party RAM that is bad, but they will certainly NOT refuse to fix the computer.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you ONLY have 3rd party RAM installed, Apple will not service your computer.

10. kevin1182 macrumors member

They did for me...

My Macbook got sent in for service about a month ago with its aftermarket 2 gb of memory inside. It was not a problem at all, and the genius told me that they would test and verify it was not the ram causing the problem, and after that test was finished they would move on and check for other possible problems. At least that is the experience I had, maybe it varies...

Kevin

11. aquajet macrumors 68020

Third party RAM doesn't invalidate your warranty, even if all of it is third-party memory. This of course doesn't mean Apple is obligated to replace faulty RAM not supplied by them, which surely they would never do.

12. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, back to the topic.
    so, do you think it is beneficial to get the MB with 2x512, and then sell them right away for, say, 100, and buy 2GB from Crucial?

the reason i keep mentioning Crucial is because i'm in Canada, and Crucial seems to be the only reputable ram maker who would ship to Canada.

btw i forgot to mention i'm eligible for student discount. (from Apple)

13. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

Why would you pay for an upgrade, and then sell it at, probably, less money then it cost you to upgrade it ? I bought my macbook with the stock ram, 2 x 256, and I replaced them with 2 x 1 GB from OWC ( and , yes ,i'm in canada too, #1 service :) ) and I kept the 2 x 256 *in case of*.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

After asking the staff at the London Apple Store about selling my iMac with only third party RAM and them getting very worried it IS an issue. Apple require some 1st party RAM in the computer, if you jump up and down and make a fuss I'm sure they would oblige as it's probably breaking the law for them to do that. Basically don't sell your Apple RAM and you'll be fine, you'll also find that when Apple updates the Macbook that 1st party RAM prices will be more palatable (see the Mac Mini and iMac).

15. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Not true

Completely not true. I've had three laptops repaired, all with third party ram. It's never been a problem. Sure, they might blame it on the third party stuff, but they'll fix the computer (but not, of course, replace my third party ram).

16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope...

Whoever told you that is lying or ignorant. It's simply not true.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The laptops (assuming they aren't intel) come with RAM on the logic board already, this qualifies the requirement.

18. stefan15 macrumors regular

Buy the 2gb of ram, but keep the 2x256mb from Apple; just in case you need to send it in for service (throw the Apple ram back in). Don't buy ram from Apple. Not bad for 2x512mb but way overpriced for 2x1gb.

19. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

I have no idea what you mean by this. Are you talking about the non user serviceable, built in ram in 12" powerbooks and some iBooks?

Well, duh.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes. So if you have those and have service them with only third party RAM apple won't care.

21. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

So you're saying you took your computer completely apart and replaced the ram that's soldered onto the logic board?

22. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

you are right. i think i was confused. afer all, the 2x256 aren't worth too much.
    oh and i just tried to google the OWC you mentioned (cause i never heard of them) and found http://eshop.macsales.com/
    is that OWC you were talking about? it looks like they have a much better price than Crucial. i'm not sure about their qualities and reputation though..

oh, je viens de Quebec aussi (i'm from Quebec too)

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I almost think you guys just made this up. :p Or maybe you're talking without any experience with this whatsoever, and telling us this as opinion.

Apple will fix your computer with 3rd party RAM installed. However, when sending it in for repairs, I'd put the original 2x256 MB of RAM back in place and send them that configuration instead. This is in case of theft or logic board replacement. It's likely that nothing would happen if you were to send in your system for repair with 2 GB of RAM installed, but it's just a precaution.

Also, OWC is very very reputable, and while Crucial/Micron RAM is good as well, they're not a trustworthy company (ie: dynamic pricing scheme on their website).

24. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I just installed the OWC 2GB kit yesterday and am very happy with it. My order was promptly handled. I agree the only good reason for putting the original RAM back in is to avoid Apple lossing your 2GB 3rd party (not likely but mistakes happen). Another reason for keeping the standard RAM rather then trying to sell it is if you upgrade to new laptops in a relatively short term. That way you can transfer your 2GB to the new laptop and sell this laptop with the original Apple RAM. Of cource this will only work if you get a new laptop every year or so, at least before the Macbook or pro is revised with a different type or speed of RAM

25. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Datamem.com or OWC ( macsales.com) are highly recommended retailers for quality Apple Guaranteed and tested lifetime RAM.

You can also buy Crucial generic DIMMS through NewEgg.com, but without any Apple compatibility guarantee.