Wanting advice for upgrade options for iMac purchase...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HomerJSimpson1, Jan 24, 2007.

1. HomerJSimpson1 macrumors newbie

I'm planning on purchasing a 20 inch iMac in the near future and was looking for some advice on the possible options that would be of value (memory, HD size, processor speed, video memory). Any advice would be appreciated.

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Adding RAM is always helpful. The iMacs come with 1 GB now, which is the real minimum that OS-X needs. Up that to 2 GB if you are going to be using things like Photoshop or Office that are not yet Universal. Drive size depends on how much you plan to store. Photos, music and movies take up a lot of space. Documents don't. Video memory (VRAM) on a 20" is useful if you plan to drive a large external monitor but doesn't help much with games.

What are you buying the machine to do?

3. HomerJSimpson1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Planning on using it for home photo and video editing along with web page building. Not really into games. Is the processor speed make a big difference on the 20" model?

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Definately go for the 2GB RAM if you are going to do anything that will benefit from it (which you are) and I myself went with the stock HD, because I don't need any more space, but I also went for the processor upgrade and the video card upgrade. I don't recomend the processor upgrade unless you have the money. I find it a good investment to get a faster computer, but for those who can't afford it is a good idea to hold back.

I definately recomend the video card upgrade, because it is one of the cheapest things you can upgrade on the iMac, and you can't upgrade it later, so just do it. It's a good investment for the money. Hope that helps.

5. xlosltove777 macrumors member

17'' iMac Regrets

I find myself kind of upset that I couldn't upgrade the HD and you could always use more RAM. I find 1GB adequate while converting video, with safari, iTunes, iChat, iPhoto, iCal, Pages, Azerues, and more all open. But you looking my RAM usage I could probably benefit from more. But I got my iMac as a birthday present, I can't really complain that it didn't come with any of the extra options. And I do find the graphics card sufficient for running games like The Sims 2 and Civilization 4 at full settings , you probably won't need to get the better video card I think.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Do you have the GMA 950 model or the X1600 model? But I do think the OP should upgrade his card, taking it that it is only like 70 dollars, yet it can add something like a year onto your machines life (it will be able to handle new OS's that have better graphics)

7. xlosltove777 macrumors member

I got the x1600, I was very scared of the GMA 950 and game-play.

I guess it does depend on how long he wants to have it, by the time the x1600 is so antiquated I think it would be worth getting a whole new computer anyway. I see mine lasting three years easy. My brother in the PC world is using an x1300 and it's fairs very well(even with Vista Beta !)

8. Boxer macrumors regular

They pretty much stated it. When purchasing a new system my theory is if I have a tight budget, to upgrade the Processor first, knowing I can usually always upgrade the HD and memory later and do it myself. In most cases with the macs upgrading the Chip is not an option.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would recommend going with extra RAM before any of the other upgrades HomerJSimpson1 (unless you know that you need more than 250GB of HDD space- in that case go for the larger drive). :)