Wanting to learn more on Linux.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iQuit, Jul 31, 2005.

1. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

I am using a Mac and want to run Linux on it by emulating or however but I don't know what Linux Version to get, there are soooo many just like RedHat, I want a easy and free one with a nice GUI and not just a text Interface. I have heard about Mac to Mac but what do you recommend? thanks.

2. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Are you going to run it through virtual pc or going to set up your mac to boot it and/or mac os x?

3. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

I am going to use OSX and hopefully run it through OSX.

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

This question comes to mind. Is there such a thing as Virtual Mac? That would be ideal for this.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

considering that OS X kernel is darwin (free bsd with some Mach stuff) which is unix i.e. linux like. it is basically the same thing. newbies won't notices the differences. the only difference is OS X has a nice aqua gui and can run x-windows as well. you can also install KDE, one the standard GUI for linux on OS X, as well as compile many other linux packages.

i don't believe there is a linux emulator for os x. it would be kind of pointless because many of the libraries they share are the same. if you really want to run linux dual boot a PPC verison. http://linuxiso.org has many different PPC ISO.

6. vniow macrumors G4

Well, there's this but things are pretty unsupported, it looks good for an alpha although I haven't tested it yet.

7. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

[​IMG]
    Looks promising. Why don't you try it out iQuit, and tell us how it works :D

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A word of warning: Mac on Mac doesn't work in Tiger.

9. witness macrumors 6502

Yes I noticed that when I tried to use it. :(