Wanting to leave the US

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, May 30, 2006.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey guys. I've finally had it. I need to get out of the US. I would like to relocate to either Germany or Canada (preferably Montreal or Quebec. And yes, I know enough French to get by). I am a Senior Art Director in advertising and I have some professional acting experience as well. Anybody here willing to sponsor me in Canada or Germany? ~Shard~ or Diatribe you guys come to mind right away as far as advice goes, but hey I'm open anything. Help me out.

I had a realization last night after seeing a spectacle I NEVER want to see again. Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston went to a Cubs game here in Chicago. Afterwards, they had the premiere of their new film at the Music Box Theater. I happened to be near the theater at the grocery store and I must say- I have never seen so many idiots in my life. I mean, come on! It wasn't Madonna, Bowie or God! I think all the bleach in the US was used on the heads of every girl in front of the theater and the street was blocked off due to the crowd. It was a parade of fools. Now, I realize the empty-headed exist everywhere, but the US has more than our fair share!

Don't get me wrong- I love Chicago. But it's going down the tubes fast. When I moved here 14 years ago, there were no corporate coffee shops, restaurants or yuppies. Now it's a Starbucks, Gap or McDonalds on every damn corner and yups everywhere. I moved here to get away from that crap! My beloved city is turning into Disneyland.

Having traveled across the US, it's becoming increasingly apparent to me that everywhere is becoming the same, even NYC (Manhattan, the island of white people). Los Angeles is still semi-OK, but I don't want to live there- too damn hot and you have to have a car.

So -any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

BTW- this is not a joke. I'm quite serious.

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I have done extensive traveling over the years and trust me, The US in no way holds a monopoly on idiots. I have seen people even more stupid then Americans believe it or not. Everywhere in the world is starting to look the same.

From 1993 to 1998 I worked as a designer for Planet Hollywood. I was on the road for almost 9 months out of each year. Europe, Canada, South Pacific, Scandanavia, Asia. Ive been almost everywhere aside from Africa ans South America. The only difference I saw from place to place was the view and the language. People are basicly the same the world over.

I found lots and lots and lots of idiots in Quebec!

I found Germanys population to be very nice but eerily bitter and with a touch of a superiority complex (as with most of europe). A lot of the landscape in Germany could be mistaken for New Jersey mostly due to the modern construction as a result of extensive bombing in ww2.

Dont get me wrong, I have met some extraordinary people around the world but no more then I have found here in the US.

Also, there are plenty of ethnic groups in Manhattan. Where did you go to see only white people?

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah but, are all those places invading other countries whenever they want? (sorry I didn't mention that complaint above) Plus, I can get married in Canada. And Manhattan? Please! It's nothing like it used to be. It was awesome in the 70s and 80's. Now it's yuppies galore. Boring as hell. Been to Times Square lately?

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

lee,

as a non-expert here, I would say your easiest bet is to find a Canadian company that you would be well-qualified to work for. Seek them out, and see if they are willing to sponsor you - they will take care of most of the paperwork and expedite your entry.

Good luck.

5. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Cool! Thanks!

7. Queso macrumors G4

Sorry to hear it's not working out where you are Lee. Any idea of whereabouts in Canada or Germany you're thinking? Major cities again?

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Do you like to work weekends, nights and holidays with no compensation? If so, this is the place for you.

I love Berlin. Quebec City or Montreal would be good too. But could deal with Toronto as well.

9. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Whoa... did I blink and miss the last 1.5 years?? ;)

10. Queso macrumors G4

Fine choices. You obviously like the winter :) I take it you speak German.

11. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Oops! Brain fart:eek:

Corrected.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I would have to learn German. I do know enough French for Quebec though.

To Freeny- I've been to all the places you mention as well. I'm sorry but, we here in the US do not appreciate culture or the arts like people in Europe and Canada do.

And yes, there are morons everywhere. I mentioned that in my original post. I'm just looking for moron-reduction. :)

13. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Eh if ya do make the move to Canada let me just say Welcome! :)

Calgary's a good distance from Montreal, but the more skilled people we get in Canada the better.

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

15. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Times Square is a tourist trap. Bad example. Try another one.

The US did not invent invading countries whenever they want. And we are hardly perfecting it.

16. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I live in Montreal. Quebec is a beautiful and charming City but depending on what you want to do for a living, Montreal might be a safer choice. Let me know if I can help in any way.

17. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I have 3 friends from San Francisco that have moved to Amsterdam and they love it there.Seriously thinking about it myself.

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- can you point me in the direction of some good emigration resources? You too dornoforpyros.

19. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

ah... so you can watch crowds of people gawk at david hasselhoff instead?

gimme a break, it's a corporate world these days, you're not going to get rid of it...

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry man, I visit NYC on a regular basis. I spend most of my time on the Lower East Side, which in my opinion is one of the last cool places on Manhattan. And it's still just a bunch of white people. Trust me, there is no comparison to how it used to be 20 years ago.

21. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Just be sure you are not being jaded by the "Select" people you meet from around the world.

If you are referring to Europeans/foreigners who are visiting the US you are only being exposed to those who are able to afford the travel. these people tend to be more educated and worldly. You would be very wrong to assume all foreigners are this way. Every country in the world has its own equal percentage of morons, idiots and rednecks.

If you are referring to foreigners you meet while traveling to their countries, you are only being exposed to the open minded few that are interested.

Trust me, I understand your disgust with stupidity but moving to another country wont necessarily solve that.

Ive lived here for 18 years and while I find the city to be nicer, safer and cleaner, It is still just as diverse as it was in 1988.

22. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I'll do some diggin'. I'll keep updating this post as I find more info:

Check here first (Welcome to Canada, what you should know).
    Migrate to canada website
    Living in Montreal The low cost of living in Montreal.
    Montreal tourism (Info on climate, taxes, transportation, etc…)
    Workopolis (Largest Canada-based online job site)
    Currency converter. i.e.: How much your dollar is worth in Canada.
    Montreal Employment Agencies (Yellow pages).
    Montreal Employment Agencies (Websites).
    Montreal nightlife
    Cultural Life
    Montreal: From Gay to Z
    Gay Friendly Montreal (Some info.)
    Montral WebCam (Have a peep.)

23. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

i wanna like live in madagascar or new zealand or something...

24. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ok, maybe I'll just go shoot myself.

One thing I've learned from naysayers such as yourself is- There IS always a better place to live. You just have to go find it.

People in Ohio used to tell me- "Oh every place is the same, it's just bigger or smaller". So untrue. When I moved to Chicago 14 years ago, it WAS so much better than where I came from. And got into a profession I never could have gotten into there. I think I've just outgrown the US and it's crappy attitudes- especially towards gays.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sadly, I think you are right. You'd have to move to a third-world country to have any hope of escaping globalization.