Wanting to switch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gujar, Mar 22, 2004.

1. gujar macrumors newbie

I am a long time windows user recently came across mac and was really impressed (quality, easy of use and sheer enjoyment of using). I am looking to updgrade my laptop so seriously considering switching to Mac. Was doing some research and came across this web site (www.xvsxp.com) that I think gives unbiased opinion. It compares OS x vs. XP and points out strengths and weakness of both systems. X scores higher than XP (724 vs.627) but people who are considering switching may want to take a look in terms of OS what is important to them.

I have couple questions and will really appreciate feedback.

1. If Apple comes out with new powerbook in next few months will the price of existing powerbook go down?if it will then by how much? What is the historical trend?

2. Are there any issues using Office Mac? I am heavy user of Office and it is very important to me.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

1. Yes, the price will come down. However, I'm always surprised they don't come down by more. You'll save a couple hundred, probably not much more than that. My preference is to buy the cutting edge machine and then keep it for years. I've got a Ti400 that is now over three years old (I ordered it an hour after it was announced). I still get great use out of it, but I'll probably upgrade to a G5 when it comes out. Then my wife will get the old Powerbook and the kids will get our Rev A iBook.

2. I think the biggest issues with Office are with Outlook. Entourage doesn't quite cut it. However, my understanding is that with Office 2004, a lot of these deficiencies will be addressed. For Excel, Word, and to a lesser extent PowerPoint, the compatibility is seamless.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

1. i agree with the prev. poster. usually, leftover prev. generation machines get moved over to the refurb section and gets sold either as "new" or "refurb." but they are a couple hundred dollars off at most. don't expect some miracle drop in prices. what you see about now is about what you will have to pay. i also agree with the prev. poster that it's usually worth it to just buy the newest when it's updated and keep for good...

2. office v. X has been working flawlessly for me for over a year...

4. hughdogg macrumors member

Springfield, MA - Birthplace of Basketball
    Have used Office on Mac and multiple different PC versions (95, 98, 2003) without any issues in Word, Excel or Powerpoint. Haven't used Entourage, but most folks say it is the weak link.

Only issue I have had is with one button mouse. I right click a lot in Excel on the PC, and had a bit of an adjustment. (Until I bought a two button mouse).

Good luck with the switch, I wish I could use the Mac at work but unfortunately I am chained to a Dell box...

Cheers,
    hughdogg

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I use my Powerbook at work in a Windows environment. I have Office for Mac and this works seamlessly with my colleagues, who use the Windows version. We use Exchange server at work and Entourage can connect to it without any problem (expect I cannot access other users schedules).