Wanting to Upgrade to OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Warp Coil, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Warp Coil macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2002
    MD, USA
    Okay, so I've been mulling over this decision for a while now... I'm debating whether or not to upgrade to OS X. I have reservations about it slowing down my system or causing more headaches than its worth.

I've got a PowerMac G4 466mzh with over 1 gig of RAM and a 30GB HD. I'm running OS 9.1 (9.1 and 10.0 came pre-installed when I purchased the computer). I had been running 9.2 but my computer started giving me trouble in recent weeks.... it would freeze up/crash. It was quite puzzling and no real solution was ever found. But the problem has cleared up for the most part (it still ocassionally gives me trouble but not like it had been). In trying to figure out what was wrong with the computer I ended up re-installing my 9.1 software. I have a "Previous System Folder" on my hard drive now - should I get rid of that?

Would it be a good idea to upgrade to 10.2? Do you think it's worth making the upgrade given the age of my system? And if I should upgrade, what is the best way to go about doing it? I've got the CD... aren't there a couple of different ways to install the 10.2 software? I remember hearing that one option is to archive your existing system? Is that the way to go?

After the update I'll also want to use OS X native applications as much as possible. The idea of switching back and forth between OS X and Classic seems annoying (and potentially slow). I've got Office 98 and Photoshop 5.5 but I will have Office X and Photoshop 7 at my disposal. Should I delete the older programs before upgrading? After? Does it matter? I just don't want to be using up wasted space on my hard drive. I want to optimize performance and avoid as many hassles as I can.

I'm sorry for asking what must be simple and stupid questions... I'm a Mac user but by no means am I an expert. I just want to make sure that I don't regret upgrading, and I want to make sure my system doesn't start acting up. Thanks for any assistance!
  2. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    your machine is fast enough to handle jaguar fine. you can do the default installation -- the stuff about saving user accounts is for updating a previous version of osx (which it doesn't sound like you're using).

unless you need the HD space, there's really no reason to delete the os9-only versions of your apps -- you may need them for compatability some day (e.g. i can't get the epson osx print driver to work, so i use the os9 apps -- through classic -- to print. nutty, but it works).

i like osx way more than os9.
  3. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    Definately upgrade to OSX, your computer WILL increase in speed, usabilty, and stability. I'd also like to suggest that you cycle your ram through your system, it sounds like you have a RAM (Propabilly an ECC) problem. If you cycle the RAM and the computer fails to startup, what ever RAM chip is in slot "0" is bad, and should be replaced. OSX will like that. As for OSX slowing down your machine, if anything, it will make the G4 scream. I have a 500, and It still kicks some coleagues who have OS9 on some 800s and most of my friends' PCs. So upgrade, and "Join the Revolution."

4. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2002
    Apple really pulled it together with 10.2. You WILL NOT regret upgrading. The only hassle is Quark not being OS X native, but I prefer ID2 anyways
  5. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    I have an old Graphite 500 MHZ that thanked me for giving it Jag, and a friend who runs a Graphite 450 MHZ said he noticed improved performance. Dive in. Also, you said you have a spare OS 9 System Folder? Delete it and only keep the one that you have been using now.