WAP: Linksys or D-Link?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by admiraldennis, Nov 11, 2003.

1. admiraldennis macrumors regular

2. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

I have the Linksys Wap-11. It works great with my iBook. The only problem I had was with WEP encryption. I had to change the authentication mode from "Shared Key" to "Both". When I did that, I could connect with WEP enabled, but I could not submit on forms in webpages. I then updated the firmware of the WAP-11 to the newest version and everything works wonderfully.

3. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

What ever is cheaper. they will both do the trick.

4. Santiago macrumors regular

I've had experience with both D-Link and Linksys, and can safely say that D-Link blows. I had to downgrade the firmware on my wireless router for over a year because it would drop connections to Lucent Orinoco cards (aka Apple AirPort cards). Even after they finally fixed that, the D-Link router periodically decides to broadcast DHCP over the WAN port, taking down the whole network. Additionally, features like closed network name don't work properly. Last year, I was using several D-Link access points with a bunch of laptops for students, and they had really flaky performance plus bad, Windows-only configuration software. Linksys costs more with good reason. I've never had any trouble from any of the Linksys products I've used.

5. admiraldennis thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm...

Which models were you using?

I would go get the Linksys, but I hear it has range issues. Range is extremely important to me. I have a router take care of DHCP...

Bah, it's so confusing on which to get.

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

My experience has been the opposite

I use a D-Link DI-614+ at home and haven't had problems with reliability at all, whereas we've had issues with the Linksys routers we use at work (they appear to turn themselves off, which requires power cycling to reset). I don't manage the Linksys routers at work, so it's always possible the administrator is doing something non-kosher.

I like the D-Link because I can limit by MAC address (meaning I can say "only these MAC addresses can get DHCP addresses from me"), whereas when I was doing purchase research this wasn't an option with Linksys - they did the opposite, and only supported banning by MAC address. It's possible this is no longer the case so it pays to carefully read the technical info on-line.

Whatever you buy, make sure it will do the newer WPA (as opposed to WEP) since it is more secure.

7. aldo macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat here. I have the choice of the 2 you have found (Linksys WAP11 and the D-Link 700P), plus the Netgear ME102. I want range - as long as I can get at least 60kbyte/sec (speed of my DSL connection), I'll be fine.

It seems that the netgear is the one to go with at the moment, but I'll wait a month to wait for the prices to drop.

8. admiraldennis thread starter macrumors regular

Upon research, the D-Link seems to have the best range, and the DWL-700AP is completely web-interfaced. I ordered one today.