wap.macrumors.com?

Discussion in 'Community' started by idkew, Apr 29, 2003.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    what do you all think? would you (if possible) visit macrumors from your cell phone? i just got a SonyEricsson T68i phone and I do more surfing than i would have thought.

i think it would be nice for days like yesterday when there is important news going on and you can't be by a computer.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm certainly all for it...

there are certainly places where i can't get my fix of MR, it would be nice :) Just a few headlines, enough to tide us over until we can find a computer--

'course, it's more work for Arn and the gang, which is it's only downfall...

pnw

3. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

If there's a non-wap website I want to view on the go, I just plug my cell phone into my laptop and use the phone as a modem.

I would like a wap version of MacRumors, though. It would be great to get Mac news on my phone instead of having to be with a computer.

4. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

I personally think WAP is a waste of time and space. But that's just me. What I'd like is a text message (SMS) announcement service - that way the news comes to me as it happens...

Chris

5. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Go for it. I have the Palm T|C and would love to see a Mobile Macrumors site. Macnn.com has a mobile site.

6. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

why? i'm curiuos. while i would love http on a mabile device, that is obviously noe practical right now. at least wap is interactive, SMS is not really.

7. Glossybear macrumors member

i was really unimpressed with what wap content I've seen on my t68i, though i think it is mostly because the default cingulair gateway sux.

Any other good gateways?

How do you FIND wap sites??

8. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Well for me WAP is slightly costly thing (I live in the UK), despite the groundbreaking advances made in mobile communications over here, they just haven't gotten the pricing on anything mobile sorted out.

For example, my partner (who lives in the US) subscribes to SprintPCS. For about $60/month he gets;

• Free off peak calls to anywhere in the US,
    • Free calls to other SprintPCS cellphones,
    • 500 anytime minutes,
    • Free text messaging,
    • 1 year free WAP.

I've hunted around over here and am totally struggling to find anything remotely similar, that wouldn't cost almost double.

To some extent the mobile market in the US was way behind what we had, but in the last year, the bigger US cellular providers seem to have adopted the newer technologies as standards. Here we have a multitude of different techs all on the go at once that have to be supported because of the several million handsets already in use.

Anyway, that slightly detracts from the question... I actually prefer to have messages delivered to me, as it saves time in me heading off to look for things, especially when time is short. It's good to be informed, especially when you can let someone else take care of the informing! And here, texting is a popular not to mention cheap past time!

Chris

PS. I have an Ericsson T39m before any of you ask. And why this and not a T68i or the like? Well, I prefer flip phones and as yet Ericsson haven't done one with a colour screen.

9. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Try...

mobile.yourfavoritesite.com
    wap.yourfavoritesite.com

Usually doesn't work, but sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised...like with mobile.theonion.com

Taft

10. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

wap.esato.com

great site, especially for a sony ericsson user.

11. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

arn?

what are your thoughts on this?

my guess is more work than you want...

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

someone give me the specs to create a wap site...

I'll do it.

arn

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

you rule! :D

14. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

i have no idea how it works... i will look around though.

15. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Um, does this help?

16. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

getting to any website through WAP is so damn eay, the site doesn't even have to wap enabled.

You go to google.com on your phone and search for say Macrumors. then you go through and pick the one you want from the search results. then bam you have MR on your phone, its how I saw the info about the new ipod and itunes.

I'm on a t68i

17. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

while that sounds do-able, a real wml (wap) site would be nice. ...as long as it is not a ton of work.