WAP Openwave Microbrowser on T720

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by rainman::|:|, Mar 25, 2003.

1. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Hey all,

I recently got a Motorola T720 (yes, i know, but i happen to love it). It's on Freeup service, so Verizon doesn't provide WAP access (or doesn't seem to anyway, all I get is errors). I've loaded Yahoo's free WAP access into the phone and it works GREAT in that it doesn't use minutes or cost $$ to use. But I'm having a problem viewing pages. Menus will load perfectly fine, but when I try to load a page it gives me crap about TEXT/HTML source being wrong for the current media set... what gives? it's like this on any site I try (wap.nytimes.com for example)... Am I doing something wrong? Do I just not understand WAP (i'm new to it)? is Yahoo or Verizon disabling my ability to view pages correctly? I just can't believe that all of these sites are formatting their pages wrong... and Openwave seems to be a decently popular browser, so I would hope it's not unsupported...

Thanks for the help... I know it's not a Mac question but I know there are many knowledgable people around here in the area of cell phones.

Thanks!
    pnw

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

The WAP browser on my samsung s105 is working fine on that site, so it isn't the site causing you problems.

3. rainman::|:| thread starter macrumors 603

*bump* thanks tim...

anyone else have any ideas? i don't usually bump topics but i'm just stumped on this one-- and i can't find help anywhere. verizon says it's not their problem, yahoo barely exists anymore, openwave doesn't provide support, motorola doesn't seem to...

Thanks!
    pnw

4. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

When you say "doesn't use your minutes" are you sure about that? If I am assuming correctly you're going through Waptunnel and as far as I know that does use your minutes. I suggest to be careful and watch your Freeup usage (i.e. see if your balance goes down after using mobile web).

I use Waptunnel on my Audiovox CDM-9500 with Verizon service (monthly bills, not Freeup) and it works well, but I often get that message. It means that the particular site you're trying to view is not WAP compatibile, according to the phone. Try having Verizon do a software upgrade on your phone (free at the Verizon store) and see if that helps.

By the way, there are quite a few T720 forums around the web. I'm not sure of any names, since I don't have this phone, but they tell you how to do some really cool stuff like download ringtones and wallpapers without going through Get It Now.

Hope this helped you somewhat.

5. rainman::|:| thread starter macrumors 603

Hey,

The phone has two connection modes, phone and data, and since Verizon tried to make me use their non-functioning service and I went around that, it's somehow free. Surprised the hell out of me. I actually learned about this Yahoo trick through a T720 forum, as well as ways of putting pics/ringtones on the phone via USB cable (i do hate verizon for that)... i'm headed to get that cable in the next couple of days... $2/ringtone just isn't working for me.

Thanks for the tips, I'll stop by Verizon and see if they can do an update-- they seem to come out often. I might try a "Master Reset" tonight too, I'm just afraid of that one-- god knows what it'll erase...

Thx again!
    paul