War between China & Japan, US drawn into conflict: effect on Apple

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by katewes, Dec 27, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I came across a news article predicting war between Japan and China in 2013, with the U.S. being drawn in.

That could spell disaster for Apple, given its reliance on China manufacturing.

Even if these are just rumors, Apple might do well -- as it is doing -- to shift portions of its manufacturing to countries that are likely to be either neutral or on the side of the U.S. alliance, in case war does break out with China.

Each major product should have dual manufacturing sites, such that if war does break out with China, the manufacturing can shift entirely to the other country.

Then again, if war does break out - with so much of the U.S.'s technology being manufactured in China, and parts etc. the ramifications of war with China would see the end of the lifestyle as we know it.

Up till now, I was pretty blase about these rumors of war between China and Japan - but what caught my attention was an article written by a defense analyst whose name, over the years, I've noticed, has been highly respected in the news. Hence, because of his article, I did a Google search for ... War China Japan ... and was surprised by the amount of chatter in the news about such a possibility.

Now, in 2013, if things escalate towards a China/Japan/U.S war -- and then Iran stirs the pot by upping the pace of its nuclear program, such that Israel does a pre-emptive attack on Iran, followed by an explosion of war in the Middle East and Islamic countries, we could have a scenario of global warfare, such that the term "World War 3" could be an apt descriptor.

In such cases, it is likely that our supply of Apple toys could significantly dry up. (I'm being facetious, of course, since that would be the least of our problems).

2. macrumors 68000

thewitt

If China and Japan go to war, the last thing you will care about is your next Apple product...

3. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

If they do go to war it will be big and the US will be in!!! The Apple store will be down for some time.

4. macrumors 68000

This.

Apple drone too obsessed with his shiny gadgets to think beyond the closest iDevice screen.

5. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Looks like I was beaten to the punch here; who gives two ***** about Apple when it comes to them going to war? Seriously. Maybe they should be impacted so they'll bring even more jobs back to the US.

6. G51989, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

macrumors 68030

G51989

There will not be a war with Japan and China, when you have the US as a close ally of Japan, it would be a primary naval war, and no one can compete with the US Navy, its larger and more advanced than every other navy in the world put together. The Chinese military is no match for the US navy, they would be destroyed in very short order.

Assuming the war would not go Nuclear, China can't stand against the US navy, they'd be out numbered, out gunned, out trained, and be using inferior ships and submarines and aircraft, inferior officers and sailors. ( Training ), these are the people that can't get 1 carrier to work properly, are they supposed to be some kind of threat?

And even if it did happen, who cares about iDevices when theres a war on?

7. macrumors 603

quagmire

No crap that if Japan went to war with China, we would be drawn in. We are there primary defense force since the military limits from WWII are still in effect.....

8. macrumors regular

Tombs

Forget apple what about every other product that comes from China??!

9. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

wow I agree with thewitt on something.

Yes if china and japan go to war Apple poducts will the least of ours and the worlds problems. Remember a lot of stuff is made in china.

10. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Could you tell us the reason behind China & Japan going to war?

11. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You should hope they aren't.

Perhaps you should read up on your history.

----------

There's some trivial island they both claim. Frankly the entire matter is ridiculous - it makes the Falklands look like a reasonable conflict as at least some people actually live there.

12. macrumors G3

Huntn

This has been a rule forever, don't give up your manufacturing to foreign powers or you may become hamstrung... a rule now, long ignored. Maybe this is partially why Apple is considering bringing back manufacturing to the States. :)

13. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

Who are you to tell me to read history!!?? You should read the constitution!!!

14. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I have no idea what the Constitution has to do with this.

:D

15. macrumors 68030

G51989

freedom! Rawrz

But really, no war between the US and China, or Japan and china. The US would be drawn into it. Which is why it won't happen, China won't risk war with the US, its a war they could never hope to win.

16. macrumors 6502a

Thast your tae on such an issue. A global meltdown because of a war in the region that produces half the world production.

Companies wich loose billions as assets are suddenly gone.

And all you think about is apple with its igadgets? Somewhere an ancester of yours who fought in a war is turning in his grave.

17. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd be more worried about the more 'basic' things that are made in China... Like clothes.

18. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably true, but I don't think the US could win such a war either.

Either both sides will use Nukes, and then we all lose, or it will be a draw.

19. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

The U.S. has made a habit of fighting nations it knows it can easily defeat.

I don't think we want any part of China.

Or they want any part of us.

20. TSE
    macrumors 68030

TSE

Do you guys think there is any real chance of a war between Japan and China?

21. thread starter macrumors 6502

Search in Google News for:

"hugh white" china japan war

Hugh White is a well known defence analyst in the China-Asia area, and limit the search to the past week.

22. macrumors 68030

G51989

China would be after Japan and Taiwan, which means mostly Naval Warfare, that would be a quick, and easy win for the US Navy.

I couldn't see either side using Nukes.

23. macrumors 603

quagmire

China'a anti-carrier missile would be an issue.....

24. G51989, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

macrumors 68030

G51989

Yes it does, and in Island to Island warfare, which is what this war would be, the US would easily defeat china.

I think China wants Japan and Taiwan

----------

Yeah, which missile are we talking about? There are lots of anti ship missiles.

Are we talking about the DF21? Its nothing Aegis can't handle. ( mean good god, they can shoot down satellites with no problems)

Not to saber rattle for America, but I don't think people fully understand how far ahead the USN compared to any other navy in the world.

25. macrumors 68020

smithrh

Saber-rattling.

Of note, Hugh White has a book out on this very topic.

Jeez, what a coincidence. Wonder if the sales of the book were lagging.