War on Christmas: European edition

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CorvusCamenarum, Nov 13, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Live from Brussels:

Nice to know the majority of non-Muslim citizens of Brussels apparently don't get much of a say in the matter.

Rather effective to only have been on the job for a month.

2. macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Anyone, anywhere in the free world, vowing to convert a free and secular state into a religious state of any kind ought to be summarily thrown out of office, preferably right into a jail cell. Freedom to religion inherently necessitates freedom from religion.

3. Moderator emeritus

Hmm. Like Belgium, been there often, including the Grande Place. No danger of the Belgians becoming the second Mecca, no matter what Americans may think. Most of them don't even hold passports.

Anyway, when you go to non-partisan news sites to find out about this story, you find the following:

Who would have imagined?

Besides, if someone could take the time to point out the passages in the Bible that cover the topic of Xmas trees, I'd appreciate it.

*yawn*

4. Anuba, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012

macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah, thanks a lot for accelerating that process by x1000 by invading Iraq, which led to Europe being flooded with refugees. A few hanging chads in Florida and whammo, we got Bush instead of Gore, and blammo, invasion of Iraq based on vague info about WMDs. Now there's a town in Sweden that has more Iraqi refugees than the entire USA has accepted. And after them came the avalanche of Afghans. We'd gladly take Mexicans any day over Somalis, out of which 70% are illiterate and 75% are unemployed (or rather, unemployable).

5. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Er, source?

6. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I wonder if Jesus had a Christmas tree, if so were they just called trees?

7. macrumors 68040

Anuba

You want a source on the obviously hyperbolic "x1000", or you want a source on the number of Iraqi asylum seekers that flooded Europe in the years following the invasion in 2003?

http://www.thelocal.se/11040/20080411/
    "...Södertälje, a town of 80,000 residents, has taken in more Iraqi refugees than the United States and Canada combined..."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/1764776...refugees-europe-expected-double/#.UKLOx6XDO-I
    "...About 2 million Iraqis have fled the bloodshed in their country since 2003, mainly to Syria and Jordan. An additional 1.7 million are believed to have been displaced within Iraq. Within Europe, most Iraqis have headed for Sweden, followed by the Netherlands, Germany, Greece, Britain and Belgium..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_diaspora#Current_number_of_Iraqis_in_all_countries
    UK 250,000, Germany 150,000, Sweden 118,000, USA 37,700 etc etc.

The Swedish figure is old, it was 125,500 in 2011. Before the war it was 49,000 accumulated between the mid 1970's and 2002.

8. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Correction: Anyone, anywhere in the free world, vowing to convert a free and secular state into a religious state of any kind ought to be summarily voted out of office ... but only if that's what their constituents want.

9. macrumors G3

Huntn

Who voted for the 2 Muslims on the City Council? With that statement, I would think that might get them unelected next time around.

10. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Why would muslims be offended by celebrating the birth of one of their great and revered prophets?

11. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

They're not, and as Blue Velvet pointed out, the tree and nativity stuff is still there, they're just accentuating the pagan origins of Christmas.

12. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Usurped Pagan origins, I would remind you.

Christ was NOT born anywhere near December 25th.

13. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Oh I know, most biblical scholars, using text from their bible actually pin it closer to April (IIRC). It's just that the pagans had wonderful winter festivals, and how best to recruit, steal the locals' ideas.

14. macrumors G3

Renzatic

Back in Jesus' day, they were called חגיגת חג שיחים, which roughly translates into festive celebration shrubbery.

Also, if anyone here speaks Hebrew, and I somehow insulted a whole load of people with whatever I wrote above, don't be angry with me. I took what the online translator spit out.

15. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

I would dearly love to know, do you really believe this crap.
    Because if you do it would explain why a lot of Americans see any foreigner as an enemy.

16. macrumors Core

Dagless

I always thought I'd feel the effects of the "War on Christmas", given that my town *probably* has more practising muslims than christians. This should be the front line. But nope, we still have our christmas tree up, the christmas lights recently went on.

Not really seeing it to be honest.

17. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

The most annoying thing is usually they don't even ask Muslims if they'd find these things offensive, (which they normally don't). Some Politically Correct Weasel in a suit assumes that a Muslim finds these offensive and makes the decision on their behalf. Which in turn leads people to blame Muslims.

18. quasinormal, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Have you got a link other than the blog of 2 redneck right wingers from Staten Island?

You know, like an actual news source.

http://www.euronews.com/2012/11/12/many-are-not-fans-of-brussels-modern-art-christmas-tree/

It is deeply saddening to see people post divisive and erroneous BS like this.

19. macrumors 68040

Anuba

There isn't one, and that's because the story is BS. What's happened is that the museum of modern art in Brussels has commissioned a very modernistic tree. It's still in the rough shape of one but it's not an actual tree, it's made from glass and displays. Traditionalists who want a real tree have protested this, and tin foil hats have concocted a theory that it was done to avoid offending muslims, and it's their speculation that the right-wing bloggers have turned into a news story. Here's the real story.

http://www.euronews.com/2012/11/12/many-are-not-fans-of-brussels-modern-art-christmas-tree/

20. macrumors 68000

VulchR

I don't believe the cr*p posted by the OP, but I would like to ask you about the cr*p you posted. Do you have any evidence whatsoever that Americans are more xenophobic than, say, Europeans? Certainly the xenophobia I see in the UK is far worse than anything I've seen in the US and it's not as though there aren't right-wing idiots performing acts of violence against immigrants all over Europe.

21. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Same old, same old for him. All he seems to post is Netherlands great, US bad. :rolleyes:

22. Happybunny, Nov 14, 2012

macrumors 68000

Happybunny

I have never lived in the UK, so I would not know. The only thing I do associate with the UK is a deep distrust of Europe.
    I do know that in the Netherlands the people who have travelled for long periods outside the European zone, tend to be far less xenophobic.

Where do I state this, all I asked was if the poster really believed what he had written.

I do notice that both UK and US citizens are very touchy if any foreigner dares to question any aspect of the status quo in either country.

23. macrumors 68040

Anuba

I don't think that's what 'Happybunny' meant, I think he was talking about American attitudes towards foreign countries, not diversity.

The image that America projects in that regard is perhaps not the best. It's about this whole thing with "American exceptionalism" and that the rest of the world is just a backdrop, a mindset reminiscent of that of the people of planet Krikkit in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's about claiming the role of self-appointed world police. It's about American troops treating foreign people in places like Japan, Vietnam or Iraq like disposable animals that can be wiped out by the millions with a shrug, but if another nation attacks a military base on a tiny strip of land over 2000 miles off the US coast, it's an epic disaster that will "live in infamy" (after the earthquake in Japan, many Americans expressed great joy and satisfaction on facebook etc, along the lines of 'serves'em right for Pearl Harbor!' Yeah... because two atomic bombs that killed XXX.XXX civilians wasn't enough... they must die over and over again b/c of Pearl Harbor.)
    It's about the unbridled patriotism, the flag waving and the chanting, behavior that sends chills down European spines because the last time they saw people that fired up over their own flag, it had a swastika on it. It's about this notion of monopoly on "freedom" as if people in other first world countries are shackled slaves. It's about renaming french fries to 'freedom fries' because the country that donated the Statue of Liberty wouldn't go along with attacking Iraq based on a little more than a gut feeling about WMDs. It's the fact that someone will probably report me for "trolling" for simply conveying these observations.

THAT attitude towards anything foreign is unbecoming, and constantly forces pro-American people around the world to bite their tongues. But yeah, I do agree with you that Americans aren't very xenophobic inside its own borders.

24. macrumors 601

Tilpots

Already? Maybe the week of Thanksgiving, but it's just to early for decorations, IMO. But what do I know, I never put up Christmas lights. Do love to see a well decorated house, though!

25. Happybunny, Nov 14, 2012

macrumors 68000

Happybunny

Thank you I think.:D
    I did not get all the references to the 'Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy' having never read the book or seen the film.

But yes that is what I was trying to say.

I apologise if people take what I say as Anti American.
    But the fact remains no one country has every answer to every problem.

But it is that attitude to foreign countries which means that in the very recent pass the US has won the wars, but can't win the peace.