War on drugs.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Taft, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

2. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

My reaction.

The facts on this page really upset me in many ways. The page presents all of the real facts about drugs and the war on them and is really just a collection of quotes from various reports (many commissioned by the US, Canadian and Dutch governments). I was especially effected by the sections on prison overcrowding(Prison), racial disparities in the population of incarcerated drug offenders (Race and Prison), and manditory minimum sentencing (Manditory Minimum).

I think its time the American people see that the War on Drugs has been an utter failure. And other laws and policies that promote racial inequality, that remove the humanity from the judicial system, that strip the ability for judges and juries to fairly punish criminals, and that smash all hope of rehabilitation for our nation's criminals and drug addicts equally demand our nation's attention and outrage.

Its time people know the truth about the war on drugs and its costs, both monetary and human. Its supporters purport that the war is protecting our nations population and youths. The truth is that it is nothing but damaging to our society and nation as a whole. There are other ways to improve the drug situation in this country, but many people a blind to them and refuse to even consider their benefits; seeing only at the propaganda that is pushed their way.

I hope you find this page as eye opening as I did.

Taft

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Wow, Taft. I have a few things that caught me eye-opened that I would like to add.

First, how did you type 1398 characters in just a minute? :eek: :p

Second, I am surprised to see all of this CORRUPTION and BULLSH|T on the force. Are people really that greedy for money/drugs/whatever that they just join the force to get some?

I think people who join the army/**PD to obtain samples of cocaine or other **** have no ƒ'ing place in helping the country, since they are hurting it.

The statistics are scary. I only looked through a few and I REFUSE to read anymore.

This corruption needs to end. But as long as we have ashcoles ƒ'ing up the protection systems of the country it [the country] will not improve, even with all the security enhancements going around.

4. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

Heh. It was a single post. But then I decided that people would be more likely to read the link if they didn't see my huge rant attached to it. It doesn't look like its working. :(

Taft

5. Draft macrumors 6502

This is weak. I can't believe how much information the government suppresses, while they try to force propaganda down our throats. I hope someone can put a stop to all that they've done to corrupt the thought processes of every american.

Very good page, though. Filled with a wealth of information.

Draft

6. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I heard somewhere that sometimes, when the coast guard confiscates drugs, they just sell them in America... Drugs are a very big problem in the US. I live 8 miles from one of the largest "drug interstates" in the US. My dad has seen people with rafts and assault rifles crossing the Rio Grande. He got the hell out of there, but it's really scary...

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

The sad truth is, even with enforcement people will still do drugs for whatever petty reason they choose to do drugs. But if there ISN'T enforcement, as in making drugs legal, then we undermine public safety even further. It's the lesser of two evils, people, and I choose enforcement. The war isn't about wiping out drugs, because that ain't ever gonna happen. It's about preserving public and personal safety through law enforcement and education. And there's always going to be corruption, too. This is life, I'm afraid. People will be people, but that doesn't mean we have to give into it.

8. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

The fact is, this just isn't true. The point that this page makes (solely through quotes from studies) is that the current methods of enforcement are sorely misguided. And the current methods of education and rehabilitation are just as bad.

Do you think that I, or any of the other proponents of drug policy reform, want to relax laws so that we or our family members can be free to use cocaine or heroin?? That is the last thing I want. I would fight to the death against any policy that would cause more people--*especially* my family--to use drugs.

The point is that the current policies and laws do not prevent drug use, deaths from drugs, or any other effects drugs may have on society. In fact, they serve only to make the problem worse.

The research--*scientific* research--that these studies point to, say that the current policies are a failure and that reform is needed to correct the drug problem in this country. Carefully implemented reform could mean *less* people using drugs, *less* deaths from drugs and the war on drugs, *less* money spent each year on incarceration and court costs, and *less* societal problems caused by the whole situation we are in.

I highly encourage you to look at the facts presented in this site. The facts do not lie. I do not support this to further my own "druggie agendas." I support this because all the current research and facts out there signal that drug policy reform could dramatically improve the lives of many, many people in this country. It could make society better.

That is why I support this.

Taft

9. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Welcome to Hell T.

I'll give you some warning about known Snipers and such but you gotta watch yourself out here on the Front lines.

I've known this for YEARS. I don't join many discussions about it because it's too big to expect real change in policy and because I'm a casual Cannabis smoker so it's unlikely I'd be taken seriously. Thank you for bringing some traceable and logical material to a subject otherwise dominated by Dead-heads.

The War On Drugs is more about supply and demand than it is about anything else. As long as Vice laws exist Vice crimes are proffitable. It's like Diamonds... If De Beers (sp?) didn't restrict the supply so drastically Diamonds'd be dirt cheap. Whether or not this happens via corruption is not for me to say, it's just a logical consiquence.

Don't get me wrong here..... I'm not advocating commercialized, brand name drugs and hookers but I feel that legal, well-regulated substances are far more healthy for a populus than a Stigma-rich brew of high priced goods of dubious quality and purity. I figure if someone wants to be a junkie, they'll find a way. Making it illegal just makes it more likely they'll never get help.

I'm glad to see the Gateway myth being shot down too. I know plenty of Pot-Heads that have been smoking on and off for DECADES without ever using or wanting to use anything more dangerous.

I actually firmly believe that illegallity increases demand from a public that wants to have some "taboos" to break. Many of the folks that the WOD advocates point to have chronic self-image problems coupled with addictive or compulsive personality disorders and chemical imballances.... they do Heroine and such to try to distroy themselves or quell the voices in their heads. These are the people most in need of help and, under the current system they are LEAST likely to get it.

This is your brain......

This is your Brain on Propoganda.....(sizzle)

Any Questions?

10. Draft macrumors 6502

11. SoarEyes macrumors member

DUDE.. all this talk about drugs gives my the munchies.

and who is this War? and why hasn’t he been brought to the stand?

12. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Soldier do you know what the word "Frag" means?

*WHAP*SMACK*WHAP*SMACK*WHAP*SMACK*WHAP*SMACK*WHAP*SMACK*WHAP*SMACK*WHAP*SMACK*WHAP*SMACK*WHAP*SMACK*WHAP*SMACK*WHAP*SMACK*WHAP*SMACK*WHAP*SMACK*WHAP*SMACK*

Don't EVER do that boy. It's like mooning a machinegun nest.:rolleyes:

13. SoarEyes macrumors member

Okay but seriously, I understand why you would think that way. BUT.!..... hehe

I think legalizing drugs would, in the end, if it happened on a global scale, be way more beneficial to both dopehead and society. Why? well... I think the only thing a heroin or crack addict thinks about is, where the next fix is gonna come from. So... he/she, (yes yes always politicaly correct) needs steal, scam pimp and beg to maintain the habit, which doesn’t leave alot of time to reflect on life and maybe reach some sort of
    equilibrium.
    So on the other hand, If one were to legalize and dare I say perscribe, those drugs at least it would relief those people of having resort to crime, and also might give them some time to reflect on what their doin.
    which is not to say that all dopeheads will go cold turkey because of it but it would sure as hell eradicate all dope dealers, prostitution, not even mentioning health issues.

:cool:

14. SoarEyes macrumors member

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Frag : (Verb/Adverb) Slang.

Orig: From the word " Fragment" or "Fragmentation". To be killed by bomb or grenade fragments.

Modern (contextual) : To be killed by "Friendly" personnel because you are seen as a liability to the survival of your Platoon. To be "Unofficially Retired" from Active Combat status." Killed by friendly fire under questionable circumstances."

16. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

As a foreing person, let me tell you that I live beside Colombia and I have never seen such ammount of drugs in so little time as I did in the US.

This saturday I was in a rave party (see my post at Mac VJ set up) and every body was suprice I did consum anything (not even cigarretes) and they saw the best VJ performance in their live. I'm I'm going to create something I can smoke some pot ( repeat, I do not smoke any way), but to be my best I have to be 100% with myself, and that is even easyer when every body oround you is hi.