"War President"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Awimoway, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Small
    Medium
    Large

The impact is far greater if you click on the large version. I recommend it if your bandwidth can support it.

2. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

now that should be a campaign poster

I wonder how many people would understand that it is anti-war

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

For which side?

4. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

against Bush

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

6. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

I decided not to post the link about where it came from because I was interested to see whether it would be taken as a pro or anti-Bush poster. I mean, he is proud of the fact that he is a war president. Some war supporters might think it's very moving. It's a work of art, in my opinion, and you can take it to mean whatever you want.

But when I stare into the eyes of those fallen people (these are all war dead, if you didn't realize), it doesn't make me proud of that ******* in the White House.

7. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

I whole heartedly agree especially when they appear to have died for a war built upon a crust of lies for nothing more than a decade old vendetta and a political shell game
    how many more young men and women will have to die to reassure bush's re-election
    how many more will have to die before the american people start to see the deadly farce we have been lead into

8. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Now the question is...

Did all the families of these brave soldiers give permission to have the likeness of their fallen family members to be used to compose the final image?

I think, maybe not.

9. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

what bearing does that have on the discussion at hand

10. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

They don't have to. As part of the Military they are public property.

11. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

The practice of slavery ended back in the late 1800s. Last I remember, a Republican president was C.i.C. during that time.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

and gw has made that perfectly clear to everyone in the military. Duty in IRaq extended how many times? No talking to the press unless they have been approved and vetted to be little more than a gw supporter. Need I go further? gw has no respect for any of those who have served.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Military service is voluntary. A volunteer is not a slave.

Smug, ain't ya?

14. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

as I remember he was president of a separate nation (given that the south had succeeded) at the time he eradicated slavery in the South through the Emancipation Proclamation. Thus he proclaimed freedom for those whom he had no command over. This would be like Bush proclaiming Iraqi freedom from saddam and then forcibly removing him from power and subjugating the people. Oh, wait. Frohikey I guess you did have a good point.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Military photos are not copyrighted. In addition, the pictures are arranged in such a way that they've become more an art piece.

You couldn't sue Andy Warhol because he didn't take the picture of Marilyn Monroe that he derived his famous art from.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

fair use is still in play. though disney and others are working hard at undermining such a monstrous concept.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

None. It was designed to distract from the discussion some wanted to have about the American service men and women killed in Iraq. See how well it worked?

Incidentally, the NewsHour on PBS has been running these photos for over a year now. They call it the "honor roll." These people have served honorably. It's their bosses in the White House who have not.

18. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

What was said is:
    Slaves are the only things that are human and also property. Agreed, military service is voluntary, and a volunteer is not a slave, so a volunteer is not property either.

Smug... just reminding you of past history.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Way past. The GOP ain't as grand as she was back then.

And soldiers being regarded as public property is much different than the private property that slavery represented.

20. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

The point was that the families of these fallen soldiers have every right to determine when their likenesses are to be used. Were they consulted in use to create a mosaic of these fallen soldier's commander-in-chief? Especially for politicial purposes?

Its one thing to use the images to honor them. Its another to use the images to politicize an issue and put forth a particular viewpoint, especially if that viewpoint is not something they might have shared in life.

I guess IJReilly would support the use of pictures of the 3000 WTC dead to create a mosaic of Osama. Shouldn't the families of the deceased be the final arbiter of the use of the images?

21. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I guess we'll know come November 2004.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No, they don't. I've explained above.

So if the Bush administration "honored" the fallen in a touching montage at their convention, it'd be okay? **** that. It's art, and the artist very likely thought his work WAS honoring the troops.

You're shooting blanks here.

Nice. You sound like sanfelipe.

No, for the reasons I posted above that you've ignored.

23. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

Frohickey's just using the only rhetorical device he can think of to discredit the picture. A sentimental yet wrongheaded argument that only the family should control how the casualties' pictures should be used. Poisoning the well. It's a distraction technique.

But regardless of whether it was appropriate to use the images or not, the fact still stands that Bush has these peoples' blood on his hands. He plunged the country into an illegitimate war, and he is responsible for their untimely deaths.

That's what really matters here. The facts of the picture, not its origins.

24. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Distraction technique? Hmm... didn't know that I had that in me. If I had a family member that died in some action, I sure would expect that the use of their likeness is in sync with their sentiments when they were alive. If I was an artist, I would respect that desire, and get prior approval to use the likenesses in such a fashion.

Sounds like in your denouncement of my questioning of the appropriateness of the picture, that is the distraction. Trying to discount my argument that the picture is not appropriate but putting up a token opposition to it, and also heaping a dose of "its a distracting tactic".

Every President is responsible for the troops under their command. That's what being Commander-In-Chief is all about. Yes, there have been upwards of 500 dead/lost in combat with the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Hate to burst your bubble, but it is a dangerous world out there. We are lucky, very lucky indeed, to have courageous men and women willing to fight for us far from home, away from their loved ones.

I think that its better to be fighting on someone else's backyard instead of our own. Sure, we will end up paying for the damage we cause, we always do, but at least our non-combatants are not dying, or its minimized when the fight is not in our backyard.

I consider these brave people my peers. I, too, have volunteered, when I was younger, to be put in harms way, but I was lucky that I was not needed. Would I, when I was younger, have liked to be in their shoes now, if it would have spared them their fate today? I dunno, I would like to say if the question were posed to me, that I can honestly say "Yes, I would gladly trade places with them."

What would you say? Be honest.

25. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

Appeal to Emotion

red herring

appeal to emotion, appeal to common practice, appeal to tradition, red herring

red herring and an appeal to emotion

appeal to emotion, red herring,

throw in some straw men and a little more poisoning the well and I'm right behind you