waranty if purchased from non-apple certified dealer?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by slipper, Sep 22, 2004.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    i was wondering, if i purchase an iPod from ebay brand new unsealed would the 1 year waranty still be effective and when would it have started? is it from the time the ebay sellign purchased it from apple? or from the time i register it?
  2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I'd imagine it would be from when the seller bought it. Will you be getting the receipt from seller (for his purchase from Apple, not a receipt for your transaction with him)? If you can get the serial number from the iPod you could call Apple Care and ask if it in their system yet, and if so, when does the warranty end.

If you should ever need Apple Care, the first thing they will want is the serial number for the iPod, if their computer says it is still under warranty, then you will have no problem. If they say it is out of warranty, but you have a receipt to prove otherwise, then you can still get free service. If you don't have the receipt, you are out of luck.

One question though, why did you decide to sell your new 4G iPod to only turn around and buy another one 3 days later? You should probably update your signature now too, since the iPod has been sold.
  3. iAppleFan macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2004
    Your warranty begins from the time the seller on eBay purchased it. My advice, buy brand new......Apple will never honor your request to start the warranty from the time you purchased off of eBay.
  4. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    The above are correct... though there are some loopholes.

If the iPod is unregistered you can call Apple and explain that you got it as a gift with no reciept and would like to buy AppleCare for it. They'll be flattered that you're both so well informed and that you took the time to call them. Register the AppleCare and the iPod at the same time. This should get you the full Warranty period from the point of your registration.

Apple can research the sale of a Mac or iPod only as far as the retailer that sold it without the Registration having been filed electronically. Often they can't even verify it's been sold unless the reseller is particularly vigilant about relaying it's serial #'s from sales records to Apple... very few are.

If, by some twist of fate you CAN'T get Apple to register your product with the full term on the Warranty or to sell you AppleCare (extremely unlikely) you can get ServiceNet through their (servicenet's) webstore. I have had mixed success with them but they'll Warranty nearly anything.