Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beleaver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
Hi , i do not own a mac , but my friend that recently purchased a macbook pro 2011 in june asked me to make garena + warcraft 3 tft work on mac without running any version of windows instead.

So after a lot of trouble i came out with a solution.
I will describe the problems i encounterred first ,if you are bored you can scroll down to the solution i came up ( i don't know if there is anything else i could do).

The problem was that he did not want to rune parallels' version with windows , cause of battery life ( and ram capacity) or whatever else , he just didn't.
I read somewhere that crossover could do the job.So i intalled crossover , used it to run garena and then linked to garena the executable path of Warcraft III(Windows version).
Then the other problem was the resolution.The macbook was 15,6'' set at 1440x878 , but when we chose this exact resolution at the warcraft 3 resolution list there was always a black bar underneath (i have to note that this was when we ran the war3.exe via the garena that was openned via crossover , when we ran the war3.exe via parallels this resolution worked just fine).

The bad thing was that my friend wanted to play through garena so , i came up with this that i did not read anywhere that's why i have to post it here , so others do not spend that ammount of time.

1.You will work with these : Garena , Warcraft III (Windows version) , Crossover and Parallels with any version of windows(used 7 x86).
2.We enter windows (using parallels) and install the original Cds of warcraft3.If for some reason you have lost the original cds you can copy the folder of warcraft 3 from your windows PC and use a program to fix the registry issues ( google registry fixer warcraft 3 something should come up).
3.Run regedit in windows (start, run , regedit) and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\Video.
At that point you should change the values resheight,reswidth to what you need.But you can read that at every single site telling you how to use a custom resolution.I tried it.It still used 800x600(when running it via garena executable path-settings).I noticed that there were also two other things in there with resolution numbers.So i also changed the values at cinematicheight,cinematicwidth (you can find them also at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\Video)

Eventually my numbers where like this reswidth=cinematicwidth=1440 resheight=cinematicheight=1024.

After these steps , i quited parallels, ran garena via crossover , openned The frozen throne.exe via garena , and my buddy was ready to play at full screen without having black bars , or losing some sight.

About using crossover or parallels , I'm sure you can find guides googling them.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
You do know those Warcraft 3 discs will work under OS X, right? Warcraft 3 is Mac compatible. Though I'm not sure if this is spam or not...

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
You do know those Warcraft 3 discs will work under OS X, right? Warcraft 3 is Mac compatible. Though I'm not sure if this is spam or not...

Warcraft 3 can't install under OS X Lion, not even from the most recent installer you get directly from the main Blizard site, and it doesn't function 100% properly under Lion even once copied over from a Snow Leopard install.

Anyway, this sounds like a lot of work... either this is spam or you don't know what bootcamp is.

beleaver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011

You can't link at Garena's Settings' Executable path something that is not .exe.
So linking the App from Mac Version won't work.

Warcraft 3 can't install under OS X Lion, not even from the most recent installer you get directly from the main Blizard site, and it doesn't function 100% properly under Lion even once copied over from a Snow Leopard install.

Anyway, this sounds like a lot of work... either this is spam or you don't know what bootcamp is.

This is what you have to do to play Warcraft via Garena without running any version of Windows.That is the goal , and that's why Bootcamp is out of the question

Just both admit that you 've never played via Garena , or if ,never tried to do it the smart way , and stop calling me a spammer , you criticize me though the first has never used Garena platform and the second just couldn't read that running any version of Windows was not an option.

Dont post something just to raise your posts, either you know what I'm talking about and value my algorithm , or you don't and you faulsly speculate something , which you criticize too.

Last edited:

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia

Reign of Chaos works perfectly for me under Lion, but The Frozen Throne doesn't. It's weird and sucks, but at least StarCraft 2 has replaced it.

And excuse my ignorance, but what benefits do you get from this "garena" thing?

beleaver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
Reign of Chaos works perfectly for me under Lion, but The Frozen Throne doesn't. It's weird and sucks, but at least StarCraft 2 has replaced it.

And excuse my ignorance, but what benefits do you get from this "garena" thing?

This is the solution of a specific problem .When you get to solve a problem there are things that you take for granted , such as garena usage and no windows usage while playing at this problem.

Whatever , Garena is a platform that has arround 10 Greece Dota rooms , and is used by 1500-2000 players per day , so it is the place that everyone is (friends of the person that asked me , and a lot more people etc.)

Last edited:

nicvfkh85

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
hi there.. i find this post useful.

i have installed garena via crossover. works ok.

i have copied standalone folder from my friends laptop (XP) and copy at my mac.

the only problem is when i have set the pathway... so when i click "start game" nothing happens.

another thing is.. the resolution.. cant seem to get it right on my mac screen.

Please kindly assist me. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.