warchalking???

Discussion in 'Community' started by SoarEyes, Aug 26, 2002.

1. SoarEyes macrumors member

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

that's pretty cool - I'll have to look for the symbols now -

one good place is in front of the Apple Stores, you can usually get online within 50 feet of the store in Clarendon.

D

3. iGav macrumors G3

It's pretty easy in London.... there are atleast 2 Squares in London that I know of that in each corner of the Square, you can pick up different networks....... :eek:

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

But you'd never take advantage of that right ;) ;) :D

5. iGav macrumors G3

Never.... I'm a good boy........ ;) :) :D

Actually the only reason that I know they're there, is because one of my clients installed a full wireless network, and went to test how SECURE it was..... that's when they began picking up other peoples networks........

The scope though for wireless networks in cities is huge, the implications being that wireless internet connections could be offered in public places etc...... for someone like me, who spends a ton of time working in bars, parks, beaches etc..... it'd certainly make a difference to my work......

6. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

yeah.. ive heard of this before..

i think its pretty neat..

like others have said, the problem now with these 802-11b networks is how un-secure they are.. like i can pick up my neighbors network, and i dont have a base station... so i could do a lotta stufferz like hosting, downloading etc for free without effects on my network..

of course i dont do that ;)..

-f

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

ummm from my experience its generally called wardriving.

8. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

yes, but u can only do that if they haven't set up the security, I think it would be very hard to break 128-bit encryption, but I have never tried.

Ensign

9. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Yeah... wardriving is when you're driving] around looking for signals; warchalking involves... well... chalk .

Duh.

10. noht* macrumors member

no, it's not. Check this.
    you can use AirSnort and break into any 802.11 network that does only rely on WEP and its inherently insecure RC4 encryption algorithm.
    Solutions are to use a VPN via IPsec (or PPTP, which is IIRC not as secure as it's supposed to be) or to let users validate themselves with a private username and password, preferably via an encrypted protocol such as ssh, before they can do anything on that subnet.

just some thoughts

noht