Warcraft 3, Airport, multiplayer problems =(

Discussion in 'Games' started by Plastic Avatar, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Plastic Avatar macrumors member

Note: I don't remember the specifics of the problems I had, but maybe someone has a clue as to the cause.

Last time I tried to get a multiplayer WC3 game up via wireless/Airport, I couldn't get it to work.... and by getting it to work I mean any game I made as a host wouldn't show up on the client machines.

When my new machine gets here Tuesday, I wanted to get a game going with some visiting family members :D We don't have a router/hub, so wireless is the only option for 3+ player action.

I don't know if it's not supported, or if there are certain steps I must take that I'm unaware of to get it to work.

The obvious faults (airport on, etc.) were checked.

I know, vague.... but I haven't touched the game in a year.

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

Do you mean inviting for arranged team games? Or hosting a regular game for people to come and observer/play? Both are linked with the same problem. Since you're using Airport you have to forward the port specific to Battle.net which is found under the Options menu. I believe it's like port 6112 or so. Just figure out how to forward ports for your router and make sure that one is entered. If all goes well you'll be able to do everything you want =D

Hope that helps, I'm not sure how to forward ports on an AirPort base station, maybe somebody else does. Try checking the preferences.

Btw, are you any good? Whisper me if you want, my name is CantREMEMBERakA

3. Plastic Avatar thread starter macrumors member

Ah, I see.

Hosting a game for people to join in on, locally. Just 3 machines in a house, all with wireless. We have a satellite internet connection, btw, so my online play abilities are for crap :(

So, you're saying, if I've got this right:

Usually you need to access Battle.net to play multiplayer, but if I forward the port I can trick the game in to playing on a local network without it?

Will do.

[smiles]

I used to be :D

I haven't tried WC3 via the satellite, so I don't know how bad the latency screws with play.... but it made games like Unreal Tournament un-win-able on my end :( Not that winning is everything, of course, but one tires of getting his a$$ handed to him due to technical reasons =|

I'll drop you a message once I check it out =)

4. haiggy macrumors 65816

Okay, sorry I didn't realize you were talking about LAN. =\ Uh... generally this works fine for me at home with my brother and friends. All you have to do is make sure you're on the same network and it should work. I'm not familiar with satellite internet so I dont' know how you connect to it... a satellite outside and to a cable in your house and then a wireless router? If yes, then all computers should be connected to the router with Airport and then it should definately work. If this is your set up already, then I'm not sure what to do. :confused: Sorry :(

5. lordmac macrumors regular

Hmm well the only thing i can think of is for warcraft you have make sure every computer you want to use is running the same version of Warcraft . Hope this helps :)

And just as general info as people you seem to be slightly confused about ur satellite connection. the way satellite connections work you get really fast download speeds because your getting to info beamed down to your a satellite and all but for uploading you have use a phone line. This all results in badness for online games. :eek: :)

6. Plastic Avatar thread starter macrumors member

[lol]

[laughs]

Sorry to confuse :D

You did hit on an important point- making sure we're all on the same network.

It is possible when we tried this before that the other 2 players were not logged in to the wireless network I created for us to game on.... I got so flustered we gave up and played Soul Calibur on ye' old Dreamcast.

When I everything set up on the new machine tomorrow, I'll give the wireless LAN WC3 a whirl between my iMac and the wife's PB.

I'll report back =)

7. Plastic Avatar thread starter macrumors member

Versions. Direcway warning.

I'll make sure all computers are running the same version. Good point =)

We've even got the newest modem that does satellite beaming up and down.... although up is only about twice as fast as dialup (on a really good day).

The worst thing is FAP (fair access policy). It's an outdated restriction thought up at least a decade ago that puts a limit of X many megabytes downloaded per hour. Exceed that, and you get no access for *12* hours.

I have to be careful about downloading computer updates, and streaming audio is a big no-no. No internet radio for me =(

If we weren't invested in the tech for another year, I'd go back to dialup.

Of course, all this FAP crap isn't in any of the info you get when you sign up. I had to search forums in hard-to-reach-places to get info from other people who got screwed by FAP.

And, at least with dialup I could play Starcraft and lower bandwidth RTS games. I figure the 1 to 5 second minimum latency I'm getting would really mess with my RTS gaming.... sometimes it takes 30 seconds for a web page to load (gmail for example).

And Direcway outsourced their help desk to India. I can't talk to a U.S. based person, and it's very frustrating- just because they're half the world away and I want someone local to fix my problem.

Sorry for the rant.

8. haiggy macrumors 65816

Okay let me know if everything is going good when the versions are the same (which should be 1.18 -- the latest as of now) and you're all on the same network. If all that is good, then there should be no problems.

I find it odd how you can't play online games with your set up. When I'm at my cottage I can play WarCraft online with a 28.8 Kbps modem and I lagged more at home on DSL. Is this just an exception? I know I should lag less on the DSL but dial-up can't be THAT bad for gaming can it?

9. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

If you're playing ONLY with people on the same local network, then you shouldn't need to setup port fowarding. However, if you're playing with people on Battle.net AND people in your LAN, you need to setup port fowarding.

Either way, each computer on your LAN should have a different assigned port. You can set this up in Warcraft. I think you it's under Gameplay or Options. Default is 6112, so just increment for each computer (6113, 61114, etc). Then in Airport settings, you should have 1 of these computers port setup for forwarding. This computer will be the one that can invite others on bnet. You can set it up for everyone on your LAN too.

Make sure you don't have any weird firewalls enabled either.

10. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Alright, not to hijack this thread, but I'm having a similar problem. I've got two imacs hooked up, one physically connected to the router, the other wireless. When one starts a lan game, the other can see it, but when going to join, it just dims the buttons, and nothing else happens. The computer hosting the game doesnt see the other computer trying to join, and just stays with the seat open. Any suggestions?

11. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

You still need to setup port forwarding for LAN games. Atleast Ive had to when I played stuff like Counterstrike and Halo.

Goes for all routers, non wireless included.

12. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

It may be off topic, but I've noticed if a wireless router is to physically close to a computer it can loose signal sometimes.

13. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

So i would have all calls for port 6112 (i believe) forwarded to the computer hosting the game? Thanks a million.

14. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Well, I tried what i said above, and still a no-go. I connected to battle.net on both computers and downloaded the updates. still nothing. both computers can see the games created by the other, but neither can join, after like a minute and a half of sitting with a dimmed screen, an error message comes up saying it couldn't connect. any ideas?

15. tek macrumors regular

Have you made sure both machines are on the same subnet? That's what's usually the issue.

16. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

yeah, they are.