Warcraft 3 and Mac Laptops.

Discussion in 'Games' started by invaLPsion, Apr 9, 2004.

1. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

How do you think Warcraft 3 would run on LAN multiplayer on a 14 inch 1GHz iBook? 1GHz 12in powerbook? 1GHz 15 in powerbook?

Would there be a significant increase in and wualityframe rates on the 15 inch because of the 9600 mobility?

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I don't have an iBook or Powerbook, but I do have a 1.4ghz eMac and just recently finished Warcraft 3. Performance with all options set to medium is very good and 100% playable. However, as soon as I patch the game to the latest version, performance drops by like 25-50%! I really don't understand whats going on, but I was forced to complete the game using version 1.00 or else it ran rather choppy. Has anyone else noticed this?

Performance on either the iBook or Powerbook should be fine, as long as you don't patch.

3. applekid macrumors 68020

Both machines are way above system requirements. I don't think any of them will have a problem.

I don't know about the patch problem. I know in the very early release and patches, there was a speed problem in OS X only. I think it was fixed a patch or two later.

4. haiggy macrumors 65816

The iBooks are perfect :) I play TFT and it runs perfectly. It can get slow during fight scenes, but that is expected. Not anything serious enough to affect your game play.

5. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

Dunno what's going wrong for you, but I'm running a 1Ghz TiBook with Radeon Mobility 9000/64MB and run with everything set on highest without issues.

I would imagine any recent PowerBook or iBook would run War3 great.

6. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

That's what I thought until I played tower defense on an 800MHz iBook. It was only fluent when the graphics were set to 640 by 480 with everything at medium.

I had little doubts that the 15 inch Albook would play everything well, but I wasn't so sure about the 12 inch powerbook or the 14 inch iBook...

7. Versello macrumors regular

Running on a 12" PowerBook with 768 megs of RAM, the game chugs if you scroll around.

8. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I've noticed that on Mac forums, most people have very varied views of a game running "great". For some people, a steady 10fps is excellent, and for others, nothing below 30fps will do. I'm in the 2nd group - I like my gameplay silky smooth before I start turning options up. But not everyone is like that. For example, there were people who said that Halo runs "excellent" on their 800mhz G3 iBook. However, even on my 1.4ghz processor, Halo runs like a dog, even with all options at low - its nearly unplayable. Were those people lying about performance? Maybe. Or perhaps they just felt that the 10fps they got was stellar performance.

What am I getting at here? I'm just trying to say that its difficult to ask people how well a game runs, since its such a subjective opinion. When I say that War3 ran well on my comp, i mean it ran silky smooth, at 1024x768 with all options set to medium. Will it run just as well on a 1GHz iBook? Probably, but you will most likely have to lower the settings a bit. Unless of course you don't mind lower framerates.

As for the patching issue, I really wish I knew what was wrong. I first tried the demo on this computer, and it ran very well. When I went and purchased the full game, I installed it and patched it, and performance was noticeably worse. I didn't know what was wrong, but I was very upset. So I decided to reinstall the game, however this time I didn't patch, and guess what? It ran as smooth as the demo did. So i've held off patching the game until I can find out whats wrong. If anyone else is feeling brave, you can try reinstalling the game and not patching it, and see if performance is better.

9. haiggy macrumors 65816

You are exactly right. It is hard because everyone has different opinions.

10. camobag macrumors regular

camobag

WC3

I have a 15 alu with 768 ram and 1.25 processor and it runs...hmmm...well...BEAUTIFULLY!

11. hob macrumors 68020

hob

the last patch is several months old - i'm not sure they're gonna be releasing v. 1.15... EVER!

I'm running a PB 12" 1GHz, with only 256MB RAM (i will upgrade soon, student budget=tight!!) and likewise, the demo ran fine - then i bought it and i thought it was a little choppier than the demo, but until I read this post it hadnt really occurred to me to be a major problem...

The main thing to remember - laptops are rubbish for gaming...! (IMHO) Why? Because everything is smaller - the same spec desktop vs laptop is going to run very differently. E.g. - the eMacs they have at my college are the EXACT same spec - same graphics, ram etc. and they run much smoother than my pb does...

Hope that clears something up? :p

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

:confused:
    I have the same setup and it runs flawlessly unless it's a huge multiway battle (6+ players with large armies), and even then it just gets a bit choppy but is still very playable.

13. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Warcraft 3 will run better on a faster machine. The 15" AlBook will smoke the iBook or 12" Powerbook because it has 64MB of VRAM and the card is faster. IMO, the iBook would be the next fastest machine because the 9200M is a better card than the 5200 2 Go in the 12" Powerbook.

So in order of speed just for Warcraft 3: 15" Powerbook, iBook, 12" Powerbook.

14. Arkillion macrumors newbie

Heres how I would look at it since I bought my new computer mostly for this game and the future world of warcraft game. I used to play war3 on a dual 500mhz g4 with a radeon 8500, it was certainly playable and deffinitly fun. All the machines you have mentioned should do just as good and better. But if you want to get online and start playing with the big serious players you have to have mad control of whats going on in battles constantly. Micro-ing on my computer was impossible, I would really just watch the battle, I could use key commands to micro as best as I could but really nothing, being able to click on a unit, yeah right.... So I got my g5 and even still I have trouble microing like I mean it when the battles get big. So do you want to play for fun, or do you want to play to win?

15. Versello macrumors regular

Hmmmm, yes I guess you could say it's *playable* but not very enjoyable to have it jitter around. Even with low settings and screen res it's very smooth.

16. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

1.4ghz eMac? 3rd party processor upgrade?

17. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

What is up with you saying that on every single thing you post? :mad:

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

it's just not that bad! There's hardly any lag at all in big battles!

19. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Warcraft 3 works great on my 12" PowerBook G4 rev. A (867Mhz, 640MB RAM).

20. Anticipat3 macrumors regular

Here's a list of the machines I've played War3 on:

12" 867 Powerbook (geforce 4 go)
    12" 800 iBook (radeon 7500)
    15" 1Ghz iMac (15", Geforce4 MX)
    1.8 G5, Radeon 9600

And my PC, 3Ghz, Radeon 9800 Pro.

The G5 and the PC both play it at full eye-candy with zero slowdowns, period. The other Macs... are not so good. The 12" iBook was hardly tolerable at all except at the lowest detail settings and 640x480, the 12" Powerbook wasn't much better... It would chop on all but the low settings, and was unusable in battles, the iMac was a little better... it ran "OK" under medium settings at 800x600.

Hate to say it, but Mac Laptops are poor for playing games. Get used to it, get over it. Get a PC Brick if you want to play games on a laptop... or, the better option, get a Mac laptop for computing, and either get a cheap PC or an Xbox for gaming. A modded Xbox is quite a sweet machine, and nearly every good PC title has been coming to Xbox recently.

21. macboi1981 macrumors newbie

Harddrive speed

One thing to remember is that the powerbooks will have slower harddrives than other macs including emacs. The typical harddrive speed in a powerbook is 4200 rpm while the desktops have 7200.

22. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    slows down about 6 players for me my specs in my sig

but its not unbearable

23. benpatient macrumors 68000

yeah, what is up with the powerbook HD speeds?

PC laptops have offered 7200rpm drives for a good while now...on a 17" PB 5400 is the UPGRADE! what's up with that?

24. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

I don't know about 7200 being out "forever", but definitely large 7200's have not been out very long. The very first 60gig 7200 was only just released last month or so. Personally I went for the 4200rpm 80gig HD and that was 7 months ago...

And yeah, WC3 plays great on my system(see below) unless you get 8 players in it. And I have all details and textures maxed. Sometimes I get a bit of consistent lag, but logging out/in resets the ram and seems to fix that. I have a laptop so I never shut my baby down :D