warcraft 3 and my ibook

Discussion in 'Games' started by passthejonch, Sep 12, 2003.

1. passthejonch macrumors member

Jul 23, 2003
    im thinking of purchasing wc3 for my ibook
    900 mhz
    640 mb ram

now my 4 year old p3 750 mhz, 128 mb ram, geforce 1, desktop computer runs this game like crap... but still very playable

anyways does anyone play wc3 with the ibook? does it run well?

and also do they have a no cd patch for the mac?

oh yea and if anyone could tell me some good games that would run well on my ibook that would be awesome
  2. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

Oct 3, 2002
    Golden, CO
    i think u can create a cd image from the real cd... try roxio toast or w/e its called.. but if u do make a cd image it should work
  3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Actually you just drop the CD on Disk Copy. It will make a mountable image. Then you can just double click it. This is what I do.

I bet warcraft will play fine on your iBook. But no guarantees. (By the way, all WCIII Cd's are Mac and PC. If you son has it, just borrow the CD and try it on your iBook.)
  4. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2003
    Huntington Beach, CA, USA
    I play WC3 on my iBook, which has about the same specs as yours, and it plays very well, even with lots of effects turned on. Your iBook's maxed-out 640MB memory and the 32MB VRAM help a lot. I imagine it will be a lot better than on your old P3.
  5. passthejonch thread starter macrumors member

Jul 23, 2003
    i tried and it didnt work........
  6. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

Mar 17, 2003
    The original Unreal Tournament will run very, very well. Oldie but a goldie. Same with Alien vs Predator, Elite Force, Quake III etc.

Ghost Recon would run pretty well. Also Rainbow Six I'd guess.

Just run them in OS 9 and update them all to the latest versions.

Try again with the WCIII CD, it's definitely dual format.

7. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Is it a purchased copy, i.e. not burned?

All retail copies of WC3 are dual format.
  8. passthejonch thread starter macrumors member

Jul 23, 2003
    oh ok that was it :eek:

anyways i bought a legit copy of wc3 today and its installing as i type this
  9. passthejonch thread starter macrumors member

Jul 23, 2003
    what is disk copy and where can i find it?
  10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    Disk copy is found under Applications in the Utilities folder. It is a low-powered cd and disk image creation program standard on all new macs.

here is what you do:

-Insert War3 CD
    -Launch Disk Copy
    -In the file menu, choose "New" then "Image from Device"
    -Select the War3 CD and Click "Image"
    -You MUST select "read/only" as the image format and "none" as the encryption for this to work.
    -Disk Copy will create your new image. It may take a few minutes.
    -Eject the CD
    -Mount image (by double-clicking it) when want to play

I run War3 on a 900 mhz ibook with 640 RAM and it runs well. In very big battles things do slow down, but that's with the resolution at max. Overall performance is more than acceptable.
  11. cmaracz88 macrumors member

Sep 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON
    Your computer will run it fine. Mine runs it quite well except in large battles. As for the comparision question, your iBook will definitely be a lot faster than your old computer. I've played Warcraft III on a Pentium 4 1.4 GHZ 128/256MB Ram 16 MB Graphics card and it ran like crap, a lot worse than my ibook.
  12. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    I have an iBook 800 combo and i thought the performance was crap to be honest. I've stopped playing it until my new powerbook comes.
  13. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003
    The reason is two-fold, the 16mb Graphics card (is it a Geforce or ATi?) isn't even DDR memory.

2nd, the p4 1.4ghz is a wiliamette--what gave the p4 a bad image until the northwood. The p4 1.4ghz is probably equal to maybe a 1ghz Thunderbird in performance. Even the old p3 tulatins beat it clock for clock (1ghz or 1.2's).
  14. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2003
    Really?? WC3 played like crap on your ibook Cracked?? I've got the same specs for my book, and it ran pretty decent. In fact I use my ibook to play RTCW and WC3 when I'm on the road (obviously not the highest specs of course....600x400, blah, blah, blah). But it was smooth, and honestly the graphics hit didn't really bother me. Just as long as I get to play it anywhere I guess.
  15. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    It bothered me that much, that i started to play it on my gf's AMD 2400XP then i didn't bother, now i wait for my PB.