Warcraft 3 cinematic problems

Discussion in 'Games' started by rareflares, Sep 8, 2004.

1. rareflares macrumors regular

I just got a new 15" Powerbook and tried running Warcraft 3 and the game works great except I'm a little disappointed with the quality of the cinematic scenes.

On my iMac 400 DV, the cinematics are crisp clear and look magnificent but every cinematic on this Powerbook looks like the videos from Starcraft (all grainy, washed out, blurry, etc.)

I've updated all software and even downloaded the divx player, windows media player, etc. but still nothing really changes. I'll try reinstalling it but if that doesn't work i dunno what else to do.

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

you're experiencing, i believe, one of the joys of LCD displays...non-native resolutions often look like crap.

some monitors handle lower resolutions well...others do not. The cinematics look blurry and washed out because the graphics driver is emulating pixels that aren't there, instead of changing the scan resolution (which CRTs can do and LCDs can't).

If you could open the videos in a separate viewer and watch them in a window in native resolution, you'd see them as they were meant to be seen, albiet smaller than full screen.

Try setting your display preferences in OS X to something other than the default resolution. If your entire screen takes on the characteristics you are talking about, blurriness, haziness and jagged edges, then you will be able to see what I mean...

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

or change the resolution of the game to match that of your display... if you're able.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Command-M should turn it into a window with the "correct" resolution. Another command-M should switch it back. This might display better for you. And it's a good shortcut to know if you need to use/see another app while playing and don't want to quit WCIII.

Edit: by "turn it into a window" I meant "make it display in a window, not full-screen"

5. rareflares thread starter macrumors regular

i tried command-M but it automatically switches to full-screen once the cinematic starts. And i can't change to windowed mode during the cinematic.

6. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Yeah Cmd+M doesn't let you window during cinematics... however I'm curious, do you mean INGAME cinematics or the actual videos? Those are two different things, and if you mean the actual videos, Bink video is actually not that great to begin with.

7. benpatient macrumors 68000

Bink video is actually quite amazing. I suppose you've never seen the full-res Half Life 2 Bink videos? clearly not. They are stunning. Nearly pixel-perfect at 1024x768.

I think he is talking about the cinematic movie cut scenes that happen every now and again during WC3, not the in-game 3d ones...in fact I'm confident that's what he is talking about...

8. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Maybe I've just seen low res Bink video then... cuz I wasn't that impressed.

9. rareflares thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i'm talking about the really awesome-looking cutscenes. will downloading the Bink player/codec/whatever help out the situation?

10. rareflares thread starter macrumors regular

well, then, will anything make the cinematic scenes look normal rather than stretched?

11. benpatient macrumors 68000

depends...probably not on an in-game basis...but if you have a video player that will run the actual movie files (not sure what format they have been put in), then you can probably play them outside the gaming experience just through the video program.

But I don't really know if that's even worth it. I'd suggest you play on a different machine, or get over it, honestly.