Warcraft 3 crisis for my son

Discussion in 'Games' started by brobson, Oct 5, 2004.

1. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

My son has lost his code for his game.
    We deleted it on our old computer (it hasn't been working for months) and were getting ready to install it on the new iMac G5 and he can't find it anywhere.
    He bought it the Apple store here in Dallas in February.

He is devistated. What can we do???

Brenda :confused:

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I would say look for a crack online. Or buy a code/new game from blizzard.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You don't have the CD case? Always keep the CD case for games that require CD keys (basically everything).

4. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

This is what Blizzard says on the subjuect:

Of course, if you don't have the case, this isn't much help. And, if you don't have the case you probably don't have the manual.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Presumably you don't have the receipt anymore either :(

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

if all else fails you'll just have to buy a new one......... sorry.... :(

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

The whole battle chest costs like 35 bucks at places like Wal-Mart. Instead of contact Blizzard and all that crap just shell over for a new copy, and you'll get Frozen Throne. If you just play single player just grab a serial online.

iJon

8. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I'm telling you man, look online for the serials, there all over the place. But if you don't want to do that, go to the store and buy the battle chest from bestbuy or walmart or some place like that. You'll get warcraft 3 reign of chos and frozen throne for like 30$.

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

you should always be carefull to keep CD keys with CDs. . . especially when you actually pay for everything in the first place! id reccomend getting a new one. you can get them pretty cheap these days (since its not *the* new game right now) you might try a used video game store (like gamestop, there are many here in dallas) they might have it pretty cheap. i get old PS2 games for like $10 or less! but i dont know how many computer games they have, give them a call.

10. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Dallas Gamestop

We go to the White Rock Marketplace Gamestop in Dallas. Which one do you visit?

THanks very much to the person who shared a code with us!
    It was very generous and I know time consuming. You have made a 13 year old obsessed warcraft fan very happy.
    Brenda

11. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Well, if you deleted it on the old computer, you can check the library for the preference files, which should hold the CD key.

I wouldn't recommend using a CD key given to you or off of the internet, since it won't work online (most likely banned).

12. applekid macrumors 68020

I don't recommend getting a crack or searching for a CD key. The ends do not justify the means. Besides, you can't play online with a used key.

I hope you still have the old CD jewel case around because it has the label with the CD key. It is possible to copy the Warcraft 3 preference files from the old iMac to the new and still play Warcraft 3, however, I remember the installer asks for the CD-key before you install the game.

If this becomes a useless argument for/against pirating, etc., mods, feel free to send this to the Wasteland.

EDIT:

Tsk, tsk. Buying a new copy is less hassle at the end. You left yourself open to the possibility of getting your CD-key banned. You can still save yourself, Brenda and whoever you got the CD-key from, by moving the preference files from your old iMac (that should still have the old CD-key) to the new iMac. That way, at least you by-passed the installer and still playing with a legal key.

A side note: Remarks from above only proves to me Macrumors is used as a Mac pirating front. And the moderators are so passive about it, it's pathetic.

I'm done with my comments.

13. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I bought DiabloII a few years ago.
    Then I borrowed the game away for over a year.
    The CD cover (with the SN#) was lost,
    the CD i had was a hybrid (both mac and pc)
    Two months ago i found Diablo II for about $10 on a clearance.
    (here in norway mac games costs about $60 and sometimes more...)
    The version was PC only, but i could use the SN# from that box to install and use battlenet.
    Don't know if it applies to WC3 too, but they are from the same company.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

15. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Kindness

For goodness sakes I am not pirating anything. If my computer was'nt down and my child wasn't ADHD we'd be fine.
    I am not seeking to gain anything but what I have already paid for.
    I think your comment was unusually harsh and not necessary in light of a kindness someone showed me.
    Brenda

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You aren't pirating, but you may be breaking copyright laws. When you purchase software, yeah you are paying for the disk and the pretty packaging, and to an extend for the work that programmers put into the creating of the software, but you are really buying a licence to use that software. That licence is represented by your cd key. Without that key, you really have to legal claim to the software.

17. applekid macrumors 68020

Certainly, it is not pirating. I'll take back my comment that it was pirating. However, you still are breaking copyright laws. What you paid for was a license of the game which comes from the CD-key. When you paid for the game, you specifically agreed to not share the CD-key and that also means no one else should share their CD-key with you. Read the EULA. It's there for a reason. You are also technically making a gain of another CD-key by what you did.

There are definitely repercussions from what you are doing. That is what you're ignoring and that is what I want you to understand. One of these days, both your son and whoever shared the CD-key will be unable to play Warcraft 3 online, and so you basically are in the same boat you were before (assuming he plays his game online often). Blizzard Entertainment bans any and all CD-keys that are being used under questionable circumstances (hacked, pirated, shared, etc.). They do thousands at a time and I for one am glad it's happening. That's why I suggested that you move your preference files from your old iMac so that Blizzard's main server will still see your original CD-key and not create any problems for either of you. I had enough sympathy to suggest that because I know you have to enter a CD-key for the installation process. But since you already do have a legal CD-key, I was suggesting why not move the preference file so that you basically keep your old CD-key.

(I mostly repeated what grapes911, so kudos to him)

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't see why you're all arguing, it seems simple to me. Brenda paid for the game and has a right to use it. A missing serial number doesn't change the fact that the game was paid for.

Personally, I downloaded Starcraft from BitTorrent, because my CD decided to go kaput. I doubt that anyone will care that I downloaded it - Blizzard still has my money, and downloading a copy of the CD didn't change that.

19. applekid macrumors 68020

Your case is completely different. You still have the CD-key which is the license you're paying for. Blizzard really doesn't care about the CD itself. Just the CD-key. That's what's important.

20. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Yes, totally different. Like I said before, you pay for a licence to use the product in the form of a cd key (or some other serial). The material (the program) is separate from the medium (the cd). There is a distinction between the two, even if it is a thin line.

You can actually buy licences without buying a cd in some cases (you can buy windows this way). It is your responsibility to get a cd. You can copy it or download it anyway you can.

21. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Well thanks for the education for a niave mother of a preteen gamer.
    I found the preferences and found his code.
    I wasn't actually arguing, I've just never been called a pirate.

'aye matey
    ;)
    Brenda

22. kilpajr macrumors regular

I don't like the message she is giving her son. If you lose your computer, you don't assume that it is OK to steal a computer from a store. Just because using someone else's license isn't costing Blizzard anything doesn't mean it's right. If you steal a piece of gum from WalMart, they aren't going to be hurt but you are still doing something wrong. Just go about this the proper way. Contact Blizzard and tell them what happened and I would be surprised if they won't do anything to help you.

23. kilpajr macrumors regular

brobson, I'm glad you found the key. I just think it's wrong to do something that isn't allowed just because of unfortunate circumstances.

24. applekid macrumors 68020

Sorry if I did sound a bit harsh, but just stating the facts and showing some dismay about the recommendations some users here posted. I'm glad you found the old code and that everything is well now. :)

25. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Sweet, one point for me. Everyone is forgetting the important point. While all of you are arguing, I solved the problem. :)