Warcraft 3 disk copy

Discussion in 'Games' started by JzzTrump22, Jul 8, 2004.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Can someone please explain step by step how to run warcraft 3 without a cd. I read a post a while ago about it but it wasn't very clear on how to do it. I know you have to mount a copy of the cd on the desktop or something like that. I'm a bit confused. Help is greatly appreciated.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

(1) Install WCIII and WCIII Frozen Throne (or just WCIII if that's all you have)

(2) Open Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility.

(3) Insert your WCIII Frozen Throne CD (or just WCIII if that's all you have)

(4) Click (on the left hand side of Disk Utility's main window) "The Frozen Throne" image (below your DVD drive, below "Session 1").

(5) Select "New Image" from the toolbar

(6) Format as "DVD/CD Master", encryption "None", named "The Frozen Throne" somewhere you'd like to keep it.

(7) Click "Save"

(8) When done, double-click on the image to open it, and then you can play the game without the CD

Note: I'm off to see a movie. When I get back, I'll verify this. This is either correct or very close - maybe you select something higher up in step (4), or maybe a different format in step (6). But this is very close to what you need to do.

Edit: now I think you select "Session 1" and pick "read only" as the format. I'll verify after the movie.

3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

it doesn't work anymore. no matter what you do (other than revert to the original copy...i think 1.01 or whatever) the patches patched the ability to run without a cd...what a great fix.

what he told you to do is correct, it just no longer works.

4. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

No it works, it works perfectly on my PB. It's great. Now i save energy by not having a disk spinning. This is great. I have both gmaes but only have the first one on there. Thanks!

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, it works on mine, too (the edited version above). BrianKonarsMac, are you sure it doesn't work after installing WCIII and WCIII:FT, then following the steps above (selecting "Session 1" and "read only" and then creating "The Frozen Throne.dmg")?

For me, I open up the dmg file, then start WCIII:FT form where it was installed on my HD, and it works fine.

CivIII also works this way. Halo, however, AFAIK, doesn't.

6. johnkrz macrumors member

hey i have a patch for warcfaft 3. i legally bought it i jus don like the cd. its under 1mb hit me up on ichat and ill send u it.

7. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

Been running WC3:TFT on a disc image for the last year without a problem. What exactly has changed that makes this not possible?

8. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I'm still running WC3 just fine after the latest patch with a on about a 500k disk image. I own the game, I only play it on battle.net... so no harm in using a dummy CD to me.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, just wanted to be sure it's understood that I wasn't advocating stealing a copy, since, not only is it just wrong, but also because, even if you don't care about that, you can't play online at the same time as the person whose S/N you've taken.

Like others, I just hate having my CD slot taken up by the game if I don't need it to be....

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Excellent tip. That would be a 50 buck extra third-party program on the Windows platform to do that. It's nice that Mac OS X has all these fancy extras. I have some games that require the CD that I would like to try this on. Saves wear and tear on the drives and CDs.

11. WALoeIII macrumors newbie

Or Daemon Tools which is free?

12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I run TFT off a disk image it is really handy so I can keep my disk clean! Also on older computers it improves performance slightly because the CD drive is not used. Although I have had problems with BNet crashing on me, I better do a system check.

13. macs_suck macrumors newbie

Sorry newb, on macs as somebody said, a lot of games dont work using that image tool. On Windows, if you are willing to spend 1-2 minutes downloading some software, you can create images of games, dvd's, audio cd's, whatever you want. And it works on EVERYTHING. It inlcudes all of the protection features of current cd's/dvd's so all games/dvd's/cd's work.

And oh yea, $50? WTF? Windows has everything for free. I have never payed for a piece of software that i have needed because there is always another program that has the same features.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

And yet, you're drawn to a Mac forum.

Denial? I think so.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Thank goodness AdAware and SpyBot are free.. AdBots every 5 seconds are doo-doo.

Up, up and Kazaa!!

16. lordmac macrumors regular

what i do

Well I don't know if this really counts but you can just put the cd in and start up the game and then eject the cd without quiting wc3 and the game runs fine without it and never asks for it so u still need the cd but at least this will save battery and not do so much wear and tear to your optical drive. :)

17. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

sounds like someone wants to pirate and oh maybe send their warcraft 3 game over the internet...correct me if im wrong

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No, I think he genuinely wanted to be able to play the game without the CD in the drive. That's the reason I do it - WCIII, Starcraft, CivIII can all play without using up my optical drive and without making the dreaded spinning-disk noise.

19. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

with all my games i either make a disk image like this and for the ones that work with this other thing i run a patch program once the game is in then when its out and put the disk back in and it patches the files for me
    then stick all my games on a 250gb hd and keep the original cds in a cd folder so they dont get scratched

20. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I haven't tried the disk image, but I wanted all of you to know about the "I don't have the disk spinning while play" posts, Warcraft III does not use the disk to play the game, just to start it. How do I know? Do this: Start the game, and then eject the disk. You can play the game just fine. In fact, it really helps out at LAN parties because only one person needs to bring a disk.

P-Worm

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As far as the disk images are concerned - I just have all the games I tend to play (WCIII, Starcraft/BW, and CivIII) mount upon login. That way, they're always there when I have a minute to play. No CD's, no muss. Plus, if I have something in the optical, I don't have to take it out just to play for a few minutes.

22. Skettalee macrumors newbie

HELP!!

Ok I tried the disk utitlity program and used the CD/DVD Master option and it didn't want to work, now i read the post and it said read only. So i was like, damn. Cause now everytime I go back and try to do it again, it gives me the Invalid Arguments error right when it acts like its gonna start making them copy. Can anyone help? The main reason why I dont want the cd is so I can bring it to work and not have to switch cds while working on projects backed up to cd and sneak a game in here and there. SHHH dont tell the boss. I mean really, its the military, the boss is the one that suggested I would try to find out how to play without the cd.

Please help! Im in the military, trying to protect you guys, lol!

23. Skettalee macrumors newbie

Also I decided to do the Verify Disk and this is what came up :

I dont see whats wrong? I works when I play the game, its the REAL disk but for some reason after that first time making an image, it just wont do it in read only. Let me go back and try another method to see if its because its read only why im getting the error.

24. Skettalee macrumors newbie

Actually, sure is, thats the reason why it dont work. I tried the CD/DVD Master again and it started working.

Can anyone send me their working .dmg file ? Ill take 100 pictures of me next to the real CD. Im not trying to get it illegally or anything. I just want to play without taking up my CD drive. Or can anyone atleast help me out?

25. Skettalee macrumors newbie