Warcraft 3 installation problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by bux, Nov 12, 2004.

1. bux macrumors regular

Hello,

I just got Warcraft Battle Chest (Warcraft 3 with the expansion and two small "strategy books").
    But I cannot install Warcraft 3 because the "PC side" of the disc gets mounted instead of the "Mac side".
    Frozen Throne mounts correctly though.

So, is there a way to force Mac OS X to mount the "Mac side" of the disc instead?
    Is it a OS bug, or a disc problem?

I'm running Mac OS 10.3.6.

2. bux thread starter macrumors regular

Update

I have now tested with another Warcraft 3 disc, it doesn't work either.

What can the problem be?
    Bug in OS 10.3.6?

Can anyone with OS 10.3.6 test a Warcraft 3 disc and see if it works?

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Works for me. Don't know why this could happen to you. I also tried to go to the install app via Terminal, but if the CD is mounted wrong, this won't work for you, I think. So I'm rather clueless.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Sounds like a weird problem. This is probably a stupid question, but you don't have VirtualPC running or something, do you?

5. bux thread starter macrumors regular

I have VirualPC installed, but not running.

UPDATE:
    It seams like I didn't get any hybrid discs.
    No OS problem then.

6. Danster macrumors newbie

I have just bought the warcraft battle chest and I also have the same problem i'm using OS X 10.3 warcraft 3 doesn't work but frozen throne does.
    i think your right in that blizzard have forgot to put mac version on it
    it's probely a manufactuing error i have email'd blizzard and i'm waiting for a relpy

:mad:

7. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

Don't think it could be the case. My g/f bought me the collectors edition when it came out and I still use that copy to play on my G5. But one never knows! Hope you can resolve that soon.

8. Danster macrumors newbie

I think that the collectors edition came out a while befor battle chest came out because i can watch a prveiw to WOW and i have a friend who has a old version of warcraft 3 which doesn't include a WOW trailer so i am assuming that the newly printed version of my warcraft 3 doesn't include a mac version by some error. Dam i took a day off to go out buy it then play it

Way to go blizzard by ruining my day off.
    :mad:

9. Danster macrumors newbie

i took my warcraft 3 into college today and tried it on a pc and hey-presto
    it came, up a big green goblins face saying install warcraft so its either that theres no mac version on it or that we need addition software to install it. but! the frozen throne came up on me mac hmm... anyone got any ideas?
    i rang the helpline up on back of book and some german guy started talking about half life 2 and was saying that i need to update my cd rom driver with firmware???? (germans eh) or i think he was sweedish im rubbish with accents

Imac G5 1.8 512 RAM

10. Danster macrumors newbie

hi all I phoned blizzard up they said that they made a mistake and that they printed a load of copies of w3 without the mac version on it and said to take the game back from where you bought it and get a refund or change it for anyother copie I said what if that doesn't have the mac version on it they then said they have got copies with mac versions on but you'll have to pick a lucky one with in on and try and look for an older version of the game??? what does a older version of the game look like? mybee has a lot of dust on it from the back off the shelf.
    hmm..

11. NervousFishdown macrumors newbie

i have this problem too ... but not on my my G4PB

OK - I have the same problem too. And it gets wierder - if I put the same disk into my G4 powerbook (which already has the game installed from an older version of the disk) then I can run the game. However, my new G5 iMac won't see the installer on this new disk (see, I lost my old disk).

I wonder if I could copy the install from my PB to my iMac via iPod. Has anybody tried anything like this? Before I waste my time trying it, any reason to suspect this is a bad idea?

Thanks all,

NiK

12. NervousFishdown macrumors newbie

i have this problem too ... but not on my G4PB

OK - I have the same problem too. And it gets wierder - if I put the same disk into my G4 powerbook (which already has the game installed from an older version of the disk) then I can run the game. However, my new G5 iMac won't see the installer on this new disk (see, I lost my old disk).

I wonder if I could copy the install from my PB to my iMac via iPod. Has anybody tried anything like this? Before I waste my time trying it, any reason to suspect this is a bad idea?

Thanks all,

NiK

13. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

If you copy over the entire Warcraft III folder to your iPod, then to your iMac, it *should* work. I would also check your /home/library folder for any WC3 related files and copy them just incase it doesn't create them for you on first run on the iMac.

14. applekid macrumors 68020

I think the CD-key is stored in a preference file.

Danster, please use punctuation. From my understanding of your last poste: An older version might be as in it isn't updated to the latest version, so you'll probably need to download the patch. No biggy.

15. McGuillicuddy macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem here. I've gone through 2 different copies of WC3 and both show only the PC files (Frozen Throne works just fine) when I insert the CD. I'm worried that all the copies that the store (GAME in the UK) has will be the same, which is particularly problematic since they won't give refunds on PC games (only exchanges). Anyone have any ideas?

16. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

The only thing I can say is keep trying. Shame on Blizzard for not checking that problem before they realesed those copies. That could of been prevented.

17. applekid macrumors 68020

Try to e-mail Blizzard, get some sort of message that allows you to obtain a Mac copy somehow, show it to the store owner, and try to negotiate. Or at least, that's what I'd try doing.

Contact Blizzard again, see what they want you to do even though you've gone through multiple copies of WC3 and still can't obtain a Mac copy.

18. McGuillicuddy macrumors newbie

I actually returned for a refund this morning with no problem. They also took back Frozen Throne (even though it worked fine) since it's no good without WC3. Now I don't know what to do...I don't want to keep going back and forth getting defective copies, and I don't want to order online since it would be an even bigger pain in the backside to return defective copies through the post.

Very annoying.

19. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, if you have a Mac using friend who already has a WC3 disc that is known to work, you could install from his disc, but use a serial number from a potentially defective/PC only copy. Another poster said that once installed the game would recognize his PC only disc as valid and play, so you would be able to use it at least. I would then pester Blizzard continuously to send you a Mac compatible CD w/o a new serial number to replace your PC only copy.

Just my thoguht.

Rob

20. bux thread starter macrumors regular

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem.

I have contacted blizzard and they seams to be aware of this problem, but still they haven't sent me another copy of the game.

But as the previous post said, you can borrow a disc from a friend that has a working disc and install it from that disc and then you can use the defect PC only disc to play the game.

But we should continue to bug blizzard for this problem because it really is a annoying problem.

21. ShiningBlue macrumors newbie

I'm having exactly the same problem - I'm on my second disc from GAME in the UK and still no installer. I may take my iBook into the shop with me and go through their stock looking for a good one.

I contacted Blizzard support by email and they didn't seem to understand the problem simply went on about requesting hybrid disc - but being in the UK I contacted vivendi the distributor here and they replied saying I could send in the disc and get a replacement from them (easier than UPS or Fedex to California). But they Blizzard are not offering any technical workaround to this so it is a case of back to shop or post off.

Alternatively is it just the installer that missing? If we have already got the files on the cds we have bought would Blizzard object to someone posting the Mac OS X native installer on the net? Or maybe the demo could be downlooaded and the run with the CD to unlock the whole game? any ideas?

But this is very annoying since my whole reason for liking Blizzard was dual development Mac / PC and we're back to being second class citizens again.

Otherwise I may just go for my money back - for those of us in the UK the shop must give you a refund because this item is not fit for its purpose (which is to install on macs as well as pc).

Is this game going to be worth it?

22. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Yes WC3 will be worth the hassle. It's single player campaign is ages long, so it will entertain you for a long time... but the rea gold is in the multiplayer. The abundance of community created maps is astounding. Many of them are better than the official stuff by leaps and bounds. The often make it a whole new game, as the editor allows you to change so much stuff and the scripting language in the game is pretty robust.

My personal favorite 'map/mod' is The Three Corridors... it isn't really an RTS gameply, but more of a multiplayer seige warfare type game. Loads of fun with 10 or whatever the max players is. Anyways, imo, WC3 is worth all the hassle.

Also, does anyone know if there is a Mac version of the editor for WC3? I was working on a map about a year or so ago, and stopped when I switched to Linux... I'd like to pick it up again when I get a Mac next month.

Rob

23. EchoGear macrumors newbie

Hi there, I too had the same experience...
    I contacted their distributing office, Vivendi Universal Interactive Publishing UK Limited.. I was told to mail it over to their office in Reading,UK.. at my expense. :mad:

They told me that they are aware of the problem and makes me wonder why they are not recalling back those faulty disc. And posed them a question that if I send it over via mail.. What if it was stolen on the way or did not arrive at the location.. Wouldn't it mean that I have wasted my money?? And the fact that it was not the consumer fault of the defect disc.

Then the guy gave me a bogus sales number to call and enquire :eek: :mad:

I would try to get a refund tomorrow if it's possible.. wonder if the Virgin Store which I bought from could give me like 2 single disc of Wc3 roc and Wc3 FT in exchange of a battlechest set.. :(

Never would have thought that Blizzard such a big company would do something like that.. Just shows how much they think of the mac society..

24. phypb macrumors newbie

Its worse than it looks

I'm now living in Berlin, and bought the German version of WC3 with frozen throne for a laugh, as it was very cheap. I don't know if this is significant, but the packaging has the "Bestseller series" gold trim on the WC3 CD. Perhaps it is this new version that is causing the trouble. I have done a thorough examination of the partitions on both disks, and can confirm that there is indeed only one partition on the WC3 disk formatted in iso9660, whereas the frozen throne disk has two partitions: including the all-important mac partition formatted in hfs. It would appear that Blizzard have published dodgy disks worldwide, and so far I have had no reply from their tech support.

Regarding your particular problem of obtaining a refund, the british trade descriptions act states that if the product does not do what it says on the tin, you are entitled to a refund (even if that is not store policy). They may not like the law, but the law is the law! If you don't argue the toss with them, they keep your money and you get a game you didn't really want. They then get a replacement disk from the manufacturer, and go home smiling. If you take a refund then they lose your money, so they try not to do this. Go back to Game and vent your wrath upon them.

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

argh ... now _that's_ bad news for me i read the article and thought "i hope this is a uK only problem" untill i reached your post, i was hoping to buy it here once i get my mac...

just saw the game in the store today was it including frozen thorne ? or a seperate package..i think i saw both...