Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmartIndianKid

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
its a problem with warcraft 3 itself, i dont see how it isnt something blizzard shouldnt be responsible for.

Nobody's sure exactly what the problem is. If it's a problem solely caused by DotA, then it lies in the makers of DotA to fix. Luckily, DotA 6.52e is out. From the changelog:

6.52e Changelog:
=================
* Fixed some critical bugs introduced in the 1.22 patch

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
Nobody's sure exactly what the problem is. If it's a problem solely caused by DotA, then it lies in the makers of DotA to fix. Luckily, DotA 6.52e is out. From the changelog:

6.52e Changelog:
=================
* Fixed some critical bugs introduced in the 1.22 patch

the problem was not fixed by .52e, and was mainly about runes i believe (which are still screwy even in .52e). this is not a fatal error that happens when playing dota, this is not a freeze that happens while playing dota, this is a lock up that happens after the game has ended and can happen after i have exited battle.net. you are saying that it is IceFrogs responsibility to fix a lockup that happens on the wacraft 3 main menu?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
1.22 is for RoC as well.

I still wish they would add an option for letterboxing on widescreen monitors. I hate how the video is stretched. It slows down the cursor and distorts everything.

IanC

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2005
Essex
I still wish they would add an option for letterboxing on widescreen monitors. I hate how the video is stretched. It slows down the cursor and distorts everything.

Oh man, yes. That would be great.

Even setting it to the same res as my screen results in a stretched look, although not as blurry as a lower res obviously.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
on my pc i play on a 22" widescreen at 1680x1050. i force the game to that res in the registry and it actually looks pretty damn good and there are no performance problems. also in the nvidia control panel on my pc there is an option to add letterboxing, not sure if that exists on macs.

adamcz

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Well I can tell you that maphack is alive and well in 1.22b. I got rushed by teaming maphacking blademasters (in FFA) who both came directly to my start location, and killed all my buildings without attacking each other.

I guess I can't attach a wc3 replay file here to share with you all, but it was bizarre.

SmartIndianKid

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
the problem was not fixed by .52e, and was mainly about runes i believe (which are still screwy even in .52e). this is not a fatal error that happens when playing dota, this is not a freeze that happens while playing dota, this is a lock up that happens after the game has ended and can happen after i have exited battle.net. you are saying that it is IceFrogs responsibility to fix a lockup that happens on the wacraft 3 main menu?

I know what the problem is, it happens to me whenever I play DotA too. Which is part of the reason I stopped playing it.

Considering that not a single other map causes this problem, yes I would say it is his responsibility to fix a problem with his map.

FieryBalrog

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
still i expected more. :mad:

Don't be a baby. I'm immensely happy that a software company in this day and age is still patching a 5 year old game like TFT on a platform (Mac) that is largely ignored by gaming companies. And a Blizzard representative to give us feedback on a non-company forum to boot, that is above and beyond anything I expected.

And here you are complaining about a hangup after the game quits that appears to be caused by a particular popular custom map (DotA) as others have noted in the thread.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
the only reason i still play war3 is because of customs. i havent played ladder seriously in years. so when dota, pretty much the only reason i play the game, is causing lockups i consider it a big deal. most of the time i can play on my desktop and its fine, but when i visit home i have to use my mbp and its just plain annoying.

blizzard took the time to address the sound issues in dota so they obviously care about fixing it. they realize dota is one of the main reasons war3 is still around. i just thought they might fix this annoying issue since it seems pretty common and easy to reproduce.

Calipso

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2006
Are you blind? The problem is related to triggers in the DotA map. It has nothing to do with Blizzard.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
on my pc i play on a 22" widescreen at 1680x1050. i force the game to that res in the registry and it actually looks pretty damn good and there are no performance problems. also in the nvidia control panel on my pc there is an option to add letterboxing, not sure if that exists on macs.
yep I figured out how to do that with the BootCamp graphic drivers, so I moved the game to Windows from the Mac. Works great.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
well i dont know if this has been posted before but after playing a game of dota if you go back to the main menu and go into the "single player" menu and then the "campaign" menu and then quit the game will exit properly when you hit "quit".

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
well i dont know if this has been posted before but after playing a game of dota if you go back to the main menu and go into the "single player" menu and then the "campaign" menu and then quit the game will exit properly when you hit "quit".

seems like a lot more trouble than just force quitting...

nutscastastroph

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
after downloading the patch from battlenet, it asked me to restart warcraft3, but then when i click restart

it says

Warcraft III.app
A battle.net update program, BNUpdate, could not be launched automatically (-10810). Please launch it manually when the game quits.

i found BNUpdate in the application folder, but then when i clicked on it nothing happened..
help!

aund

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
my wc3 STARTED freezing up after this new patch ^^ Ofc I also experienced the quitting lockup but now I'm, complaining about a midgame lockup! It hasn't done that before. It happens every second game. No special commands issued. Freezes for 30 seconds and then tells me about a kernel panic. correpsonding thread number 2 (which is solely wc3, so no sounds, graphics whatsoever problem)

any1 also experienced that?

FieryBalrog

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
the only reason i still play war3 is because of customs. i havent played ladder seriously in years. so when dota, pretty much the only reason i play the game, is causing lockups i consider it a big deal. most of the time i can play on my desktop and its fine, but when i visit home i have to use my mbp and its just plain annoying.

I'd hate to see you play any other computer game, because every little hangup seems to really bother you. One custom map in a game 5 years old on an extremely niche platform, with some of the most stellar support the PC gaming industry has ever seen?

And honestly, why would any company even care that you continue to play their 5 year old game for some custom map? Ruinfx stopped playing, whats going to happen to our non-existent subscription income! You paid $50 5 years ago once and somehow expect every single problem with every single custom map to be fixed for the next however many years? I know its fashionable to bag on game companies but this level of expectation is simply unreal. Anything they fix at this point is far beyond the call of duty.

blizzard took the time to address the sound issues in dota so they obviously care about fixing it. they realize dota is one of the main reasons war3 is still around. i just thought they might fix this annoying issue since it seems pretty common and easy to reproduce.

I just played DotA yesterday- with no issues. At all. In fact, I've never had any.

allthatremains

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2009
Warcraft 3 Mac DotA™ Quit Problem

***** bonkers you all need to play more Defense of the Ancients. I dont know why my 2.4 GHz intel duo iwith 1 GB and 10.5.5 freeze while quiting a game. I am interested in the solution presented by this dude,
that might work but i cant try it right now or i will freeze and lose all this crap i typed. i blame aapl first! because they need to increase their appeal to games, and dota is basically a religion.

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
When Warcraft freezes fullscreen don't hold the power button on the Mac. Try this key combo:
Command+Option+Escape

It's Force-Quit and it works because OS X hasn't crashed (surprise surprise :)). You won't lose anything that you had open in the background and they will all still remain open after force-quitting Warcraft.

The freezing is a problem with Warcraft and not the map. The map works fine in Windows and Warcraft is cross-platform. The Mac version of Warcraft should behave the same as the Windows version - except it doesn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.