Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
This is frustrating the hell out of me.

I bought the mini-dvi to vga adapter, finally, so I could hook up my CRT to my iMac, play WC3 on one screen and be able to do other things on the other one.

No dice.

Open WC3 (and I assume WoW?) and it makes the other screen go black.

Wtf is that?

Windowed mode is no good as you cant resize it to fill a screen.

anyone?

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
hmmm....I have dual-screen setup on windows and it lets me use the other screen...but it minimizes the game: so it might be like that everywhere.

mluby

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2007
I've had the same issue with fullscreen games. The best solution I've found is to run the game in window mode, then set your screen resolution so it's larger than the game window. From there you go into universal access and turn on zoom. You can get the one screen to almost look like fullscreen without sacrificing the second (or third) screen's functionality by zooming in. You're best off using the "only move screen when cursor reaches the edge of the screen" setting, otherwise it'll be a pain to use a mouse in-game.

Why, though, are you looking to do other things while playing Warcraft III? Most games (turn-based games excepted) are intended to occupy your full attention. Good luck anyway.

AzMacNoob

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2007
Phx, AZ
I used to try to get it working as well for quite awhile but I found that playing the game does indeed take up all your focus so why try to do other things at the same time? Perhaps running yahoo messenger or sending IM's on AIM at the same time or reading forums while waiting for things to build :D

I'm just glad that WoW works half decent with doing things at the same time while playing in fullscreen.

-Nick

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
Yep, its because your playing in fullscreen.

Your only option here is to play in windowed mode. With WoW this is easy enough, I'm not sure windowed mode is built into WC3 but I'm sure theres a third party app for it.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
the solution would be made by blizzard in a patch.....nothing we can really do

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
ya, its just not possible to have it run full screen on one monitor, and then have another monitor for use of other things.

Frustrates me, but whatever, no big deal. The only time i use AIM while playing WC3 is when im not in the middle of a game

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
You must be a true gosu if you can play an RTS and do other things at the same time O_O

xtbasic

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
It's not necessarily (for me) about doing other things. Say my girlfriend is over and watching tv shows or movies on my second monitor (which is a hdtv). If i get bored and want to play a game of wc3 the second monitor then goes blank and she gets upset, and then i get upset and it's a vicious circle.

IF anyone knows a way to get this to work, I would greatly appreciate it. If it takes bugging blizzard to get it to work, then I'm all for it, someone just point me in the right direction :)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Sometimes, some custom maps (DotA for instance) when you die there are periods of time when you cant do squat.

I wanted to be able to do other stuff without windowing.

Fishi

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
So, you guys use macosx? Because I made an app for this issue on windows (vista, havent tried on xp or anything else but should work, maybe with minor adjustments). You run the game windowed (with -window parameter) and then my app allows you to alt-enter in game to go from windowed to fake-fullscreen and back. Which means it removes the edges, puts it always on top and maximizes it. So now you can move the cursor to other screen but it looks just like fullscreen (but probably does not run as smooth as fullscreen, dunno don't really care because wc3 isn't very demanding). Of course it's impossible to play wc3 like this because you can't scroll right so the app allows you to lock/unlock the cursor inside the wc3 window with the Ctrl-L shortcut. It currently has one minor bug that I know of but it's quite delicate and would require a long post so I will just tell about it if anyone's interested.

So if you don't run windows this is worthless, but if anyone's interested you can e-mail me at rishie_88@hotmail.com or post here. ^.^

Fishi

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
KingYaba, I don't know. I put the app on free webpage you get from isp and wrote some instructions here http://hem.bredband.net/fishi. So do try it and tell me if it works. I mean I see no obvious reason why it should not.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
WTF does that have to do with this topic at all? Did you like troll for posts on here asking for multi monitor support?

If you read anything here youd know that WC3 blacks out all external monitors apparently...theres no fix for this unless you know something we dont.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.