Warcraft 3

Discussion in 'Games' started by JzzTrump22, Jul 5, 2004.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Are the servers mac only or are they both mac and pc? I've been thinkin about buying the battle chest for a while and don't really know too much about it, other that the fact that everyone says it's an awsome game. Anyone care to enlighten me about both WC3 games? I founfd the battle chest on ebay for 33$ plus 5$ shipping, brand new. I'm sure most people would say thats a great deal. But anyone care to comment?

2. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

I'm afraid that I don't know about your multiplayer question, but I can tell you that the single player games have a fantastic story and some of the best level design that I have ever seen in an RTS....

The RPG elements to the game add rather than detract from solid RTS game... oh, and ORCS RULE! :D

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I play WCIII with my brother (he uses XP) all the time. You go to the same servers regardless of your OS. Note that there are a few Battle.net servers, and you can't see users logged in to the others when you're on one of them, so be sure any friends log onto the same one you do.

Also, I highly recommend Frozen Throne as an add-on. I think it's in the Battle Chest, right?

The game is very good, even if you play vs the computer. It's more fun when you're online. I suck at it terribly - terribly - and can't seem to get any better at it, but I still enjoy it. Great game!

4. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Yeah- I got the battlechest, and it has frozen throne, rein of chaos, and strategy guides for both. And yes, battlenet is for both mac and pc. I've played games online with mjy friends, who all have pc's. Also, it's fairly easy to set up your computer to host games; just look at the blizzard website, and it's not that hard to find, if you want to host.

5. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

The servers are mac + PC compatable, but we still have Mac only clans ;-)
    www.teamg5.com

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

One thing: if you have a router firewall (Linksys, etc.) and/or if you've got your Mac firewall on (which you should), you'll need to enable port 6112 (the default - you can change it within WCIII, but why?) in those places.

I think that's all you need to do in order to host.

7. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yes, snatch it!

I highly suggest purchasing WC3, the battlechest if possible. The gameplay is great, graphics are very acceptable, and the multiplayer is the best I've ever seen (though all of Blizzard's products have very good multiplater). As for the server issue, there're only two North America servers (very well maintained, with practically no lag), which both support Macs and PCs. I play on my iBook G4, over a 56k modem, and am wowed every time. The only lag you'll notice is in very large games (8+ people), and even then its very scarce. The game's worth every penny; buy and enjoy! :D

8. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well i just bought it at best buy for 35$ I can't wait to try it out later. I got the battle chest which includes Reign of Chaos, and Frozen Throne plus stradegy guides for both. If anyone feels like showing a newbie the ropes online some time post here or send me a private message. I would really appreciate the help. I can't wait to try it out.

9. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

if u ever want a rundown on how to play, or just feel like getting stomped on, let me know :D.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The single-player games are actually a pretty decent way to start learning the ropes without dying every 30 seconds. Play vs the computer is a good way to start figuring out a build order. Then, of course, going on-line makes you realize just how much you truly suck - but you get better a lot faster online than playing the computer.

11. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I know i'm going to suck for probably the first few weeks, especially online. When i go to make/pick a character what would be the best race to be? Anyone have any good pointers on setting up a character?