Warcraft III: Frozen Throne

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mac'Mo, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

Can anyone tell me if Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (the expansion), runs well on a MacBook (not the pro). I will play on BNet. TIA

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Well, it worked great on my old 500 mhz G3 iBook. Did you bother checking out the requirements?

3. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

It runs just fine, or at least it did on the MacBook I played with. Keep in mind though that War3 isn't Universal so it will be emulated with Rosetta, this does slow it down a little, but you should still be okay.

Just don't expect it to run as well as it would with a dedicated video card and native binary. :)

4. Mac'Mo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

what's rosetta? some program that converts pc games to be playable on mac?

5. Wilden macrumors newbie

Wilden

No, it converts power pc apps to work on intel macs.

6. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Bear in mind that with an Intel Mac, if you're running WC in Mac OS, you have to archive and delete any custom video codecs you have installed, i.e. DivX.

Its a pain, as I'd like to run my mac in Mac OS all the time if I could, but I find Dual Booting into Windows very helpful.

7. Mac'Mo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

dual booting? does this mean you can run Ms XP and OSX and freely switch between them?

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Lol. Wow. Major noob! ;)

Yep. That what it means! :D

BTW if you're going to mention Micro$oft, but sure to replace the "S" with "$".

9. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

With new macs, running with Intel processors, you are able to download a program free from apple, that will let you install Windows on your machine also.

Very handy :)

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

No, please don't... that was cool about 10 years ago, but lets just try to grow up.

11. phuong macrumors 6502a

can you explain a little more?
    i just installed WC3-TFT on my MP and apparently it wont run.
    i have divx codec installed. do i have to remove it in order for TFT to run?

12. phuong macrumors 6502a

ok i figured something out. since WC3 will crash everytime it tries to play a movie (probably due to some kind of codec incompatibility). so, i delete the Movie folder.. voila, it works like a charm.

however, it freezes whenever i quit it. i have no idea why?

oh, by the way, if you dont want to shut down your computer just yet, press Command-M, you can switch out of it. it'll be a black screen though, and wont disappear untill you force quit or restart the computer.

13. Edot macrumors 6502

I have experienced a lot of freezes too when quitting from a PowerPC G5, but all you have to do is hit CMD-OPTION-ESC and it will force quit WC3.

14. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

My friend and I, both with PPC G5's, experience this all the time. CMD-OPT-ESC doesn't always work for me when I'm still in Warcraft full screen, but it will work once I'm in window mode (CMD-M).

Anymore I've just gotten myself in to the habit of going to window mode and quitting from there. I wonder what the issue is.

CJM, I've never heard of that before...crazy. Another buddy of mine has a MBP, but he has never had a problem before, and he has a bunch of codecs installed. Of course he usually boots in to Windows to play War3 so it's not running under Rosetta. It's amazing how much faster it is under Windows.

15. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

This happens to me constanly on my iMac G5. It is incredibly annoying. There is nothing I can do to get out of the program, however, I have to force shut-down my iMac by holding down the power button. Drives me nuts.

16. wisredz macrumors regular

cmd-opt-esc always works for me.

also i didn't delete anything from my computer when fixing the problem. and I have posted a solution for this problem in this forum. search for it...

17. phuong macrumors 6502a

this is really funny, and ive no idea why.

(this is on the MP)
    if i quit in fullscreen mode, it freezes. Cmd-Opt-Esc doesn't work so i have to force shutdown
    if i quit in window mode using Cmd-Q, it blacks out and freezes. then i have to Cmd-Opt-Esc to close it
    if i quit in window mode, using the game's Quit button, everything goes fine.

so i guess i'll have to train myself into this habit. it'll take sometime though because untill last week i still used Alt-F4 to quit WC3 on my Windows machine

18. Mac'Mo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

This free program from Apple? what is that? Bootcamp?

19. lewion macrumors regular

lewion

Uhm, is this the time when i just have to say DOH???
    Sure think so..
    This guy is a noob :)

Answer: Jep, jes, ja, oui, si

20. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well when I had a MacBook I tried Warcraft 3 on WindowsXP (I thought it would run too slow under Rosetta) and it run perfectly at 1280x800 with all graphical settings turned up so I think you are just fine, on OS X you might have to turn down some settings because of rosetta but otherwise you are golden.

21. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I have the exact same problem, except that the quit button won't work in windowed or fullscreen modes. It freezes no matter what I do, and I can't switch applications or force quit once it is frozen unless it is running in a window. I'm running it on the iBook in my sig (running OS 10.4.8), and Frozen Throne has always had this problem.

22. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

OMG! Micro$oft! So clever!

Seriously, its getting old. :rolleyes:

I use Windows XP every day, and I see nothing wrong with it, other than its slighty retarded at points.

Most of the problems with XP are due to badly coded drivers or apps.

23. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

the specs for W3 are so low, it will run fine of the macbook. read the specs next time.

24. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah indeed nothing wrong with WinXP, its just a matter of getting used to it and for some advanced users... they might find OSX a little too hmm "closed" I've always liked WinXP for its high level of customization and tweaking and I've always liked OSX for its ease of use, rock solid performance and stability and programs (things like iMovie or Keynote are really useful).

As far as crappy MS software goes... I would say Microsoft Word is pretty high up there, now thats a retarded piece of software...

25. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

And I've always thought word was always one of the best pieces.

WSUS? POS.