Warcraft III on a 1GHz 12" PB (settings help)

Discussion in 'Games' started by JulesK, Feb 16, 2004.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

Hello - I have a stock 1GHz 12" PB and was wondering whether anyone has done enough fiddling to determine the best game Warcraft III settings for this machine. I'd like to preserve as much of the visual experience as possible, without compromising gameplay too much. (Yes, yes, I know that's what we all want to do.) I tried a search but didn't find anything immediately on point, but I apologize if this has been beaten to death somewhere else.

Thanks in advvance.

2. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

How much RAM do you have? I have noticed that after upgrading my G4 iBook from 256MB to 640MB that Warcraft 3 automatically configures the game to better settings. You may tweak it by turning off ambient sounds, or unit responses. I'd say that your computer would run most things at max... unfortunately there have been a number of issues with system pauses, even with high end machines. I would say that while I encountered a few (some of which I can attribute to a faulty logic board (that's right in a G4 ibook)) that they were hardly enough to ruin the game. Most issues were with lots of units fighting on the screen at once.

I've noticed that the Frozen Throne seems to have better graphics than the original Warcraft 3. Maybe it's just me, but spells seem much better, when casting.

Your user-guide for the game will offer some hints to tweak gameplay, as well. Check out http://www.blizzard.ciom for other ways to tweak the video. I know they have a new Mac patch available (.14?). That should help resolve some issues anyway.

3. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

PowerBook has 768MB Ram

Should have included this originally. Haven't gotten the stomach yet to shell out the big bucks for the 1GB stick.

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

hmm.. quite enough RAM, and a nice speedy processor. I think most of the settings will be on Max. Again, youwill probably experience some choppiness with lots of units, but this is normal on OS X. PC's run super-well, but the conversion just didn't quite make the leap from PC to OSX, which has been documented in other forums (try searching this site). Frozen Throne expansion set rocks, if you don't have it!

Probably just give it a whirl on different settings and see what works best! Try with all on max, and then reduce visual. Turn off things you know you don't care about. I personally find unit responses irritating so I turn them off (aka. shut them up!)

5. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Hi Jules,
    I have the same PB with the same RAM. I play with everything set to "high" and unit shadows and occlusion (what is that, anyway?) turned off. I'm sure you could turn them on if you want though.

Basically, it runs extremely well with everything set to highest. Well, if you play huge games like 4v4 and all the armies crash in to each other at once, spells flying and whatnot, you might see a little bit of slowdown. But basically, you have nothing to worry about.

7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

My advice even though you have a pretty well equipped machine don't run at the highest setting possible. If they make you lag during big battles that will be your death, Micro during big battles is vital to winning so compromising some graphics for better game-play is a worthwhile sacrifice. If you can snipe the heros during a big battle your chances of winning improve greatly, thats my advice.

8. Edot macrumors 6502

Quality?

Yeah graphics make the game infinitely better, but performance overrules graphics if you are serious about battle.net and your level. I play WCIII on a eMac 700 and set all of the settings to low obviously. But I can still play at about the same level as on a dual G5 with max settings. I guess it all depends on what the game does for you.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree in theory (that micro is the key), but I'm saying that he won't experience any lag. *Maybe* in truly huge battles like 4v4 or 3v3 with 70+ food each. But practically speaking, War3 runs extremely smoothly at max settings on the machine he has. Trust me, I've tested this one plenty of times. ;)

10. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I have a TiBook 667 MHz with 256 MB Ram...and then game can get pretty choppy at times. Would upgrading the ram help with this? or is it because of the graphics card (32 MB)...just curious if upgrading the ram would help in this games performance.

11. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Adding RAM would help. I have a 32MB video card as well, in my iBook (800MHZ, which is close to your speed). When I upgraded from 256MB to 640MB of RAM, I definitely saw improved gameplay.

For ~$100USD, lots of improvements (in other programs as well) will be seen.

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

upgrading the RAM will help. However, War 3 is most heavily dependent on neither RAM nor graphics card, but on processor speed. So yes, the game will run noticeably better, but there's only so much you can do.

13. rwclark macrumors newbie

I have a 1GHz Aluminum PowerBook G4 with the base 256MB RAM. I find at 1152x768 anything more than 2v2 can get kind of choppy on BNet (I have a broadband connection so that's not the problem). I'm thinking that upgrading the RAM to 768 might be the thing I need to get better performance. Any other suggestions? I've found that running at lower resolutions doesn't really change much.

14. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I have a 17' iMac G4 800Mhz, and i run WC3 at 1024 X 768, and i rarely see any lag. I only have 512M of memory. It's not a high end game, so I think at any setting, you will be fine.

15. Versello macrumors regular

Aughh how can you say this game runs decent on hardware less than my powerbook! I have a 12" w/ 768 megs of RAM, and this game chuuuugs.

Using 800x600, medium textures, shadows off, spell detail lowest, ambient sounds off, etc.

I also don't run any programs in the background.

Whenever I scroll around things get choppy :|

Pretty bad for online play.

16. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Log onto Battle.net to automatically update WCIII to the latest version (one of the updates brought PPC & Mac OS X specific optmisation)

Update your OS to the latest version (10.2.8/10.3.2), and when 10.3.3 is released, jump on it (improvements of 5-17% in games with the current builds)

Run it in a window (Command + W) rather than full-screen. For some reason OpenGL games run a lot better this way.

AppleMatt

17. GotherThanThou macrumors newbie

to run in a window, it's Command + M

18. 603 macrumors member

good luck.

> hmm... quite enough RAM, and a nice speedy processor. I think most of the settings will be on Max.

ha. ha. ha.

i'm with Versello (above). i have the same exact setup - the 1 GHz 12" and 768 MB of RAM. my PC desktop is 2-1/2 years old with minimal upgrades and it slays this brand new Powerbook at Warcraft III. it has a processor of the same speed as the Powerbook, 512 MB of RAM, and a lowly GeForce 2 MX with 32 MB of RAM. even with those relatively low-end specs, i don't even bother trying to play Warcraft on the 12" Powerbook. i was really surprised and disappointed, since the game is a few years old and the 12" Powerbook has a graphics chipset that is far more advanced than the GeForce 2.

> I'm saying that he won't experience any lag.
    > *Maybe* in truly huge battles like 4v4 or 3v3
    > with 70+ food each. But practically speaking,
    > War3 runs extremely smoothly at max settings on
    > the machine he has. Trust me, I've tested this
    > one plenty of times.

there can't be that much difference between your 12" 1 GHz Powerbook and mine... i've tried Warcraft under Jaguar and Panther, with the latest patch from Blizzard, and i can rarely scroll around the screen without lag... this is at the lowest resolution of 800x600, with most settings turned down or off, on a small map, and right at the beginning of the game before any units have been created. there's a noticeable delay between clicking on a unit and being able to control it. voices and sounds break up when anything is moving around. that's just not an acceptable level of performance. maybe you just haven't played the game on a PC, but most gamers wouldn't put up with this sort of glitchy gameplay. i want my 12" Powerbook to do it all, but it just can't keep up.

i'm not knocking Apple or Powerbooks in general. i can run plenty of heavy non-game apps at the same time with no problems on my 12" Powerbook... it is impressively fast as far as work and everyday usage goes. but Warcraft III is just not happening on the 12" Powerbook. i bet the 15" and 17" Powerbooks are excellent for games, with their Radeon chipsets, but that's not what i have.

as for any excuses that it runs poorly because it's a port from the Dark Side... it is probably part of the explanation, but Warcraft III on my roommate's 17" iMac looks great and performs with no glitches, and she only has 512 MB of RAM. so the problem is not necessarily the programming, but the fact that the 12" Powerbook just can't meet the minimum threshold required to get decent performance out of the game.

19. Versello macrumors regular

I just tried switching between fullscreen and windowed - nearly identical performance.

I agree with what 603 said - War3 ain't just happening on this little bugger (12" PB).

/me sighs and plays War3 on his Inspiron 8200

/me shudders

20. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm not a huge Warcraft fan, but my son plays it all the time on my Ti400 with 640 MB RAM. None of the problems described above. Something's fishy about that 12-incher. Are you running a lot of other programs at the same time? That could choke your memory.

21. GotherThanThou macrumors newbie

I agree, I have a TiBook 800 with 512RAM which used to use for W3 and it ran fine on the highest settings...Only reason I switched from that was the G5, and it's gloriously large (23") monitor...