1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Warcraft III on TiPbook

Discussion in 'Games' started by gaomay, Jul 24, 2002.

1. macrumors regular

I'm about to get a new powerbook 667 and want to know if this will be powerful enough to run Warcraft III and have smooth, jerk-free gameplay. The PB will have the Radeon 7500 and 1Mb L3 cache.
    Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

nope

3. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

oh come on GrokGod, that is the worst one liner I have ever seen! ;)

I think the Powerbook 667, with 32mb of DDR-SDRam should be enough, considering the system reqs. are:

Minimum 400MHz G3; OS 9 or later, OS X 10.1 or later; 128MB RAM

I am not sure about it being choppy but I would have thought it will be ok.

Ensign

4. macrumors regular

WCIII

I think I'm gonna wait until Jagwire is pre-installed - hope will this help with the game? Is the Radeon 7500 able to cope with Quartz extreme?

5. macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: WCIII

AFAIK, QE will not help with the game. The underpinnings of X.2 will, though. The 7200 will take good advantage of QE. The reccomended requirement to get good use out of QE is 16+ meg VRAM.

6. macrumors 6502a

chibianh

i have a tibook 800 with 512mb ram and i have the "reduce processor performance" box checked in the energy system preference. So, basically, it's running at 667mhz. I play war3 all the time with most of the settings on high or medium. It runs just fine. Gets a little jerky, though, when there's a ton of units killing each other.

7. macrumors 68020

G4scott

I run warcraft 3 on my 600mhz iBook with 8mb VRAM in OS X. It's not as stunning or smooth as a dual 1ghz G4 with a 22" cinema display (They had one at CompUSA with WC3, it was sweet :D :cool: ), but it works fine for playing the game... Maybe you just have to turn down the video options... I think that a TiBook should be able to handle it easily...

8. macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Oh, the tibook handles it VERY nicely.. I had to turn down a couple of the settings because all but one was set on high (oops!). But now, I have some set at medium and some at high and still very nice... I love the wide aspect ratio of the tibook and the cinema displays, especially gaming.. warcraft III supports those resolutions but other games don't. I wish they all did, it'd be so cool...

9. macrumors regular

PB G4

Do the PB come with Appleworks or will I have to buy it separately?
    Thanks for all the info folks.

10. macrumors 6502a

chibianh

My powerbook did not come with appleworks, although I wish it had.. I don't think the professional line comes with appleworks.

11. macrumors regular

post count

why is my post count not going up?

12. macrumors member

I have the Quicksilver 800 mhz without the L3 cache. I have the Geforce 4MX and 1 gig of ram. I play with the video settings all on high.

As with everyone else, I only have problems when I have like 20 some units beating the shiznits out of each other.

13. macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Won't play smoothly

I have a 550 MHz TiBook with 512 MB of RAM and 16 MB of VRAM, and WarCraft III running with OS X has some serious lags. For the first levels with few combatants, the gameplay is OK. However, once you have an all-out melee, the game slows down dramatically. Trust me on this one: Nothing was more frustrating to see my horde of Undead slowly losing because the lag made giving instructions almost impossible.

I had to resort to playing WarCraft III on my cousin's one-year old Dell laptop, which ran the game flawlessly without any lags. The specs: 850 MHz P3 with 256 MB of RAM.

Of course, you could set the graphic settings lower, but if you are going to pay more than $2,500 for a fancy laptop, you should be able to handle a game like WarCraft III with no problems. I love my TiBook, but I'm just p*ssed that my fancy and expensive machine can't handle a game that a year-old Dell can. I hope that Jaguar can speed things up, but I seriously doubt it.

14. macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Are you serious!?!?!? Wow, I would have thought that a 800 MHz with a gig (!) of RAM would have been able to play WarCraft III decently. Even my cousin's Dell didn't have any serious lags.

15. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Re: Won't play smoothly

Remember the min. CPU requirement is 400Mhz. You've only got 150Mhz more to work with. Don't try and play it on all high settings.

16. macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

My experience is that I enjoy gaming more on a console or a pc than on a mac for 3d intensive games. I am not dissapointed in this. I realized when I bought a mac that there would be less games available. i have since come to realize that it is better to use my PIII 700 Mhz comp for gaming.

I am not sure I agree with the argument that if you buy a 2500 dollar computer that it should play a new video game. Rather, I think if you buy a 60 dollar game, it should play well (at all times) on a comp that meets the "Recommended Specs".

Having said that, WIII was three years in development, correct? If you want to play it bad enough, get a pc, or live with the lesser graphics. Better yet, go for a walk outside, I hear nature has some rad graphics.

17. macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Here are the recommended specs from Blizzard's website:

Macintosh® OS 9.0 or higher/ Mac OS X 10.1.3. or higher:

400 MHz G3 processor
    128 MB of RAM
    16 MB ATI Technologies or nVidia chipset 3D video card
    700 MB HD space
    4X CD-ROM drive

Well, when I read that "400 MHz G3", I'd thought that my 550 MHz G4 with 512 MB of RAM was safe (a sales rep at my local Apple store confirmed this).

I guess I should say that I was disappointed that my top-of-the-line TiBook couldn't handle something that a year-old Dell could. I can completely buy the arguement that one should leave gaming to consoles or PCs, but my question is (and I think it's not an unreasonable one to ask) this: if I am going to shell out $1,000 or so for a PC gaming system, why not shell out another $500 to $1,000 for a top-of-the-line PC rather than shelling out another $2,000 to $3,000 for another Mac? That is, why not consolidate my computing options into one?

I'm not trying to start a flame war: I'm happy with my TiBook, but I can understand those with limited monetary resources might look elsewhere for their computing needs. I know that stability and good hardware and software integration are the Mac's key draws, but I am beginning to wonder if we Mac users are paying too much of a price for stability.

Just my thoughts. Again, no flaming or ill-will intended. :D

18. job
    macrumors 68040

job

No problem mate. I'm running WC3 on my iMac DV+ at 800*600 with 32 bit color with very little slowdowns. Of course every detail option level is turned down to low....:rolleyes: :D

19. macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Macktheknife, why would your comments start a flame war? If a pc is a better option for you given your specific needs, why should I care? not to sound rude, but it doesn't affect me.

If playing the latest games is this important to you, and you can't afford two comps, maybe a tibook is not the computer for you. This is so obvious. Why are you sounding so confused over this?

20. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Whats wrong with you people!

I have a G4 500MHz with a ATI Radeon 8500, and I set the settings on HIGH at 1024x768 and I get NO jerkyness whatsoever.

On my G4 400MHz Sawtooth with Radeon 128Pro, I turn the details on medium, and some on high, and get no jerkyness.

So YES that powerbook will run WC3 perfectly on high!

21. macrumors newbie

Tibook Works Great

I have a 550 mhz tibook with the mobility radeon (16 mb ddr ram). I run Warcraft 3 at a lower resolution with settings around medium or high. There are many things you can do to make this game run smoothly. Simply don't run the game at full screen resolution and turn down the settings. If you look a Blizzard's requirements they recommend a 32 mb graphics card. The Mobility Radeon 7500 is a powerful card. The new Tibooks should run the game at optimum performance. You may need to turn down a few settings such as light (that really slows down performance) but Warcraft 3 still looks awesome however you run it.

22. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Re: Tibook Works Great

Turn off unit shadows. Come on, who really needs unit shadows in a melee? :rolleyes:

23. macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

The reason why I'm so careful with my comments is that I find Mac users to be a very sensitive bunch. Scan through any of the postings with someone mildly critical of any facet of the Mac and you'll have people flaming one another. So I wanted to qualify my statements to ensure that we don't start an ugly and useless arguement.

Also, the reason why I might sound "confused" is that playing the latest games isn't the only thing that I'm looking for. I also play music, surf the internet, and do spreadsheets. When I bought my TiBook and dumped my Dell Inspiron a few months ago, I was looking for an all-round portable computer with stability, performance, and value. Yes, I know laptops aren't meant to play games, but my old Dell laptop (also with 850 MHz P3 with 256 MB of RAM) would have been able to handle WarCraft III in addition to doing most of what I want. And if I am not alone in this regard, people and recent switchers with less patience might take the next logical step and go back to a PC.

Anyhow, I'm just going to say 1) that WarCraft III lags on my TiBook with only OS X running (I can see it with my own eyes) and 2) that I am disappointed that my TiBook couldn't run the game as smoothly as my cousin's Dell laptop despite the latter being a year-old with less RAM.

I think that's a reasonable gripe. :)

24. macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

face the reality.

WC3 play on a Ti 800, badly!

i will play ok until the fighting starts, sorry to tell you all this, but the fighting is still part of the game. So it is not running the game properly, period.

My Ti cost $4000 dollars with all the trimmings and if it cant play a fuhreaking game at that price then there is something very very wrong with either the fact that I bought it or the fact that Apple says its a supercomputer.

A dell is Not a supercomputer but it can play this game properly.

At the cost of this computer I want all the options ON!

Only a MACzealot would say that
    "oh its ok, it will run if you turn everything off,"

If I have to turn everythign off why buy the game, why buy the computer, why is Apple telling us its the best in the world?

Why are MAc zealots turning away from the obvious truth.
    Its this turning a blind eye to reality that allows Apple to continue to sell us antique hardware at HUGE prices and claims.

Specifications MacIntosh 128K
    CPU: MC68000
    CPU speed: 8 Mhz
    FPU: None
    RAM: 128k Dram not expandable
    ROM: 64k
    Serial Ports: 2
    Floppy: 1Ê 3.5" 400k
    Monitor: 9" 512x384 square pixels built-in B/WÊ
    Power: 60 Watts
    Weight:Ê 16.5 lbs.
    Dimensions:Ê 13.6" H x 9.6" W x 10.9" D
    System Software: Mac OS 1.0
    Production: January 1984 to October 1985
    Cost: $2,495

If you paid this amount of money for a new computer would you expect it to run WC3 if Apple said it could?

25. macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Exactly. If we're paying so much money for a top-of-the-line computer, we should expect it to run programs flawlessly. If laptops in general can't handle WarCraft III, then the TiBook's inability to run the game smoothly would be less of an issue. However, the fact that a year-old Dell laptop can run the game without the slightest hitch makes me shake my head in disappointment at Apple's claims.