Warcraft III Performance

Discussion in 'Games' started by xgsrpg, Jul 22, 2004.

1. xgsrpg macrumors member

I have a new 15" PowerBook. I play Warcraft III on it, and while still fine, it does jump when I take 12 flyers and move them at once. However, my old Compaq plays it not perfectly but noticeably better than the PowerBook. Here are the stats:

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne v1.16, running at native resolution

PowerBook
    • 1.5 GHz PowerPC G4
    • 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
    • 512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    • Mac OS X v10.3.4 (all latest updates applied)

Compaq Presario
    • 700 MHz AMD Duron
    • 32MB ATI Radeon SDR (plain Radeon, no number)
    • 192MB SDRAM (non-DDR)
    • Windows ME (the crappiest OS on Earth; no updates)

So why exactly is the old Compaq with a quarter of VRAM, non-DDR memory, and less than half the clock speed performing better? Any tips for making it run better on the PB (besides dropping resolution, quality, effects etc.)? Thanks,

xgsrpg

2. applekid macrumors 68020

Is it really getting that choppy?

In MacOS X, there seems to be a problem with Warcraft 3 and its performance. In OS 9, it's supposed to run perfectly. But, in OS X, you do see some choppyness. The latest updates have done a good job at trying to fix it, but it definitely isn't completely fixed.

Guess I don't really have a tip for you. Sorry.

3. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

That's strange.

When I had a 17 inch 1.5GHz powerbook I ran War3 at 1440 by 990 with everything at max. I consistently had speeds of 40-50 FPS I'd say, except when there were cut scenes when it SOMETIMES dropped below 30. The only thing that is different is that I had 1gig of ram. Believe me, with 1 gig of ram my 17 inch powerbook PURRED...

Try upgrading to 1 gig of ram maybe? :confused:

4. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

So why exactly is the old Compaq with a quarter of VRAM, non-DDR memory, and less than half the clock speed performing better? Any tips for making it run better on the PB (besides dropping resolution, quality, effects etc.)? [/QUOTE]

I would make sure that when you run this game, that you turn NAP off. When NAP is on, Mac laptops work like a hungover lazy waitress.

So yeah, be sure your hardware is set to run at best performance. I had a Compaq just like yours only running a P3 @ 550mhz, and it ran wc3 way too slow.

Also, make sure your comparing the two running the exact same settings. You'll find that your powerbook will smoke it on similar settings. My 800mhz powerbook runs it smooth as glass with the settings tweeked.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just remember that these are two very different applications that happen to look the same. WCIII for the PC, and WCIII for OS X - they're different executables. True, they share a lot of code, but the nitty-gritty parts about how they actually display info are different, and people are more experienced at optimizing for Windows, so it's likely that the OS X port is simply inefficient.

6. xgsrpg thread starter macrumors member

Blizzard has been making Mac games for years, so I'm sure their team has good experience with the Mac (but maybe not OS X). Thanks for the suggestions; I plan on upgrading to 1 gig of RAM and hopefully it will work better.

7. vga4life macrumors 6502

For one thing, your compaq is probably running WC3 at a much lower resolution, and possibly at lower quality settings.

I second the recommendation for more RAM, though.

-vga4life

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think that might be it. Starcraft played about the same on Mac and PC, but WCIII is definitely slower on the Mac. My "inferior" PC laptop plays it better than my dual-2 G5. And, although I only have the 9600 video card, it's better than the laptop's.

9. benpatient macrumors 68000

his PC can't be running at THAT much lower of a resolution...the game won't go too much lower than the native res of the 15"...

10. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

I'm sorry to say but games just don't run all that great on Macs. Just like with you, my friends Athlon 800 w/ a Geforce1 runs war3 similarly or better than my 1.4ghz eMac with a Radeon 7500 (Geforce2 equivalent).

I have however noticed, that by running an unpatched version of War3 straight off the CD (version 1.00), the game ran at least 50% smoother than after using the latest patch. Not sure why, but its true. Try deleting the game, reinstalling it, and NOT patching it.

Adding more RAM won't help you though. 512mb is far more memory than an old game like War3 needs. Buying another 512 for the sole sake of improving War3 performance would be a waste of time and money.

11. vasaz macrumors member

Make sure that in your system preferences->energy saver, the processor is set to 'highest' performance. By default it is 'automatic', and this hits gaming performance quite a bit, at least in games such as ut2004.

edit: sorry converted2truth, missed your little mention of it..

12. xgsrpg thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll check my power settings.

My Compaq has a 17" CRT, and while I can't recall the exact resolution, it is either on par or above my PB's. Also, both computers had the latest update (1.16) and settings were maxed out. On a side note, is Civilization III for Mac smooth, or is it slow?