Warcraft III Questions?

Discussion in 'Games' started by gwuMACaddict, Jul 28, 2005.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    so... i started the "World of Warcraft Questions" thread and you were all incredibly helpful... i've decided to stick with Warcraft III though, i don't want to pay a monthly fee- yuck- and my friends and i have playing against each other...

here's my question...

how do you build things fast enough to keep up with the computer? seems like the computer is much faster than i am... are there certain buildings i should build first? better races than others? should i learn the keyboard shortcuts?

2. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2005
    I haven't played in a while, but I was ranked top 10 on US East for a while :).

Anyways, personally the computer builds are just perfect, they have no time delay like human users if they forget to build something. What I suggest is to find a race you can perfect 3 or 4 strategies with, I suggest Night Elf, and then go online and practice. Nothing is better than practicing against someone who is around your skill level and will make mistakes as well.
  3. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Dynamyk. What is your screen name? Were you top 10 in solo or RT?

Anyways back to your question,

The computer as mentioned has timing down and won't forget buildings. However, whenever they play they always do the same thing. Changes in build order can be a big difference, especially depending on what units you want to build. I can easily beat a computer on insane (they get twice as much gold as you do). It's all about making units right after another one finishes, or always spending your gold and never having more than 500 I'd say (unless you expand and get another gold mine). I suggest you watch replays, and maybe even audio commentaries if you want to get good. www.wcreplays.com has thousands of replays and some audio commentaries that should help you out. If you find that boring, just hop onto Battle.net and play against other people of your skill level. Until you know every unit in the game, it's counters, it's type of armour and damage, etc then you can't get very good. That all comes with playing a lot and checking out each unit. The game is way more complicated than beginning players think. The smallest things make a difference.

Games are not only based on what units you get but something also called micro and macro. Micro is how you control your units. Pulling weak ones back when they are dying, moving units out of the way of seige attacks so they are harder to miss, using spells, knowing when to get out of the fight, when you're losing, etc. Macro is how you control your base off screen (like building units while you're in a fight).

If you don't know this already, you can assign hotkey groups to your units. Select the ones you want in it and press CNTRL-1,2,3,4,5,... etc all the way up to 0. You can assign buildings too. That is how you build when you're not looking at the building.

I'm not sure if this answers your question but it does have some good tips if you want to get good. I'm only touching base on many of these things. It goes on and on. If you really want to get good then just play games, it's the only way to get better. If you just want to have fun against computers, then take what I said and use it, but don't practice it hardcore so you end up beating them every time.

Hopefully this helped, and I'd be willing to help you out on Battle.net if you need me to. Just PM me and I'll give you my account name or something.

Yes, I am addicted to this game. ;)

Edit: All of the races are basically all equal. If one was totally imbalanced everyone would play it to win. Blizzard keeps adding patches to keep the game fair. Also, what race do you want to play? And yes, you should definitely know all the shortcuts. It's okay to look once in a while that will just help you remember them. I'd say know all the ones for the race you want to play. They aren't very hard, basically always the starting letter of the building/unit/spell/etc. Hotkeys are good because you can use a spell and use your mouse to click a unit instead of using your mouse to do both. It's faster and that way you don't lose an easy kill or something.

Btw I play Undead (I'd say I could keep a 65% or 70% UD account) but can play most races better than average players. It's all the same once you know what units to get.

Oh, and I know what its like to feel as if the computer is building way too fast for me to keep up. I remember the first time I went on Battle.net a guy rushed me and I lost in like 5 minutes. I thought he hacked and ended up not playing on Battle.net after that for about 6 months because I figured it was a bunch of lame hackers. :rolleyes: