Warcraft III ROC patching problems

Discussion in 'Games' started by Wadget, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Wadget macrumors member

Okay, well,

Ages ago i purchased Warcraft III, and just recently i thought i'd reinstall it, so i did that and it worked fine. I tried connecting to Battle.net and because it was unpatched Battle.net automatically started downloading the latest patch. It did that fine and everything was succesful.

Now i have version 1.20.4 and it just crashes on startup. Everytime. I've reinstalled then repatched and exactly the same thing happens. Has updating caused anyone else's version to crash? Any idea why it might be crashing?

Also, i tried playing the unpatched version, and i mean NO patches, and it crashes whenever I try to begin a campaign.

Anybody know whats going on?

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Reign of Chaos works fine for me – TFT is problematic when attempting to start the Night Elf campaign, however. I'll see what else I can find.

3. Wadget thread starter macrumors member

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Alright, I've installed another copy, and compared it to the updated version: it gives me the same behavior – however, this only happened after I put 10.4.7 on here. There aren't any other differences compared to what I was originally running it on – just 10.4.6 with the same hardware. It's probably something related to the update.

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I had the exact same problem with startup crashes having patched it at a LAN party last weekend, which was before 10.4.7, so who knows what causes it

6. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I had no problems with ROC, but every time I quit Frozen Throne, it freezes. And I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME. I have to switch to windowed mode and force quit just to get out of the game, because no keyboard shortcuts work once the game freezes. Blizzard games haven't been quite so good with OS X, in my opinion....

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Hmm. Perhaps we should contact Rob Barris – he's posted here before and is a Blizzard employee who works on the Mac side of things. I'll see if I can get ahold of him.

8. Wadget thread starter macrumors member

9. Wadget thread starter macrumors member

So does anyone have any headway on what exactly to do? Maybe a later version which doesn't crash?

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The problem is that you have to install that patch before you can install any others (changes to the patching engine or summat)

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

same here, no problem with RoC though.

just got used to it.

12. Wadget thread starter macrumors member

What if i installed the latest patch (which crashes) then afterwards installed a different patch, or would i have to have opened the game or something like that before installing another patch?

13. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I don't think you can do that…

You can download Blizzard's older patches, but to get to a particular version you have to update in order from your version.

14. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I installed RoC last night and patched it (via the Battle.net updater) with no problems.

15. Wadget thread starter macrumors member

Perhpas the problem is because i went from unpatched to latest patch in one jump?

16. rbarris macrumors 6502

Do you have the standalone DivX player installed? The latest version has an unhealthy interaction with War3. However, DivX quickly diagnosed the roblem and they have a fix for us, contact macsupport@blizzard.com and ask for JustinKK.

If you want to mail in some crash logs for me to look at, please do so to rbarris "at" blizzard.com and I can see if its' that same problem or something new and unique.

17. Wadget thread starter macrumors member

I believe i just recently installed DivX, but no longer need it.

Deleting should take care of that problem then?

18. Wadget thread starter macrumors member

Amazing!

Got rid of DivX and now it works perfectly fine.

Thankyou everybody, and especially rbarris, for all the help.