Warcraft III still worth it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by bowens, Jul 11, 2006.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I have tried a demo of Warcraft III on my intel Mini and enjoy it a lot. I have played WC2 and Starcraft quite a bit. Do you think it is still worth the $40 for the battlechest? People who have played this game, is the game good enough for this price tag?

2. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i think so. i'm still playing and i've had it for like a year or something like that.

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Yes still worth it!
    Its still a very active community, and there are a lot of great custom maps on Bnet!

Get it, and play on Bnet, u won't regret it!

4. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I own both WC2 and WC3 battlechest (for PCs unfortunetly), and i liked WC2 better. I don't think it is worth $40, wait to see if the price goes down, or check on craigslist, or ebay.

5. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Well one of my friends says that he thinks he has a copy laying around so he's supposed to be looking for it for me. Hopefully he can find it and I'll get it for free.

One more question. Did all of the WC3 cds have an os x installer or did the older one's only have os 9? I just need to know whether there is an osx installer I need to download like I did for Starcraft.

6. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

Check with compusa, i've seen the battlechest for about 29.00. It's loads of fun.
    If you have windows loaded, give Warhammer 40K a try. It's very similar to WCII, and it's much more intense and fun. (IMO)

7. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

i still own and play WCIII as well as the TFT expansion. i bought it back in late '04 i think. I still like to play, as its fun to just wreak havoc on various maps and all that. i havent played online in forever. but its still fun.

hell i still even play Diablo II every now and then lol!

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I've been playing it for 3 years, and now it's the only game I play (no time for much gaming). IMO it's not as good as starcraft in terms of game play and strategy, but I can't go back to SC because the UI and graphics improvements in war3 are so dramatic that SC seems primitive by comparison. Regardless, it's an excellent game and one that you'll have a lot of fun with. I highly recommend it. :)

9. benyaimin macrumors member

just download it off bittorrent. no not really but yea its a fun game, i still play it sometimes.

10. ToastMaster macrumors regular

ToastMaster

11. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I still enjoy it, but I can't stand playing it on my MacBook.
    (too stretched.)

12. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

You cannot talk about illegally obtaining games on this forum.

Stop or risk being banned.

13. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

*punches*
    :mad:

14. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

sorry man. but thats a kick to the nuts for you.

15. goMac macrumors 603

You do know those Battlechests come with both the Mac and PC versions, right?

16. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

WC3 + Frozen Throne=worth it. The Defense of the Ancients custom map(www.getdota.com) is very good, and it is so popular that it gets its own tournaments separate from regular WC3.

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

WC3 has never been worth it IMO Never liked it. Starcraft beats it every gameplay aspect, even with 640x480 graphics. :)

18. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I hope you mean on skirmish? I tried it last month on single player and its so dated in terms of gameplay I uninstalled it after level 3. Graphics don't bother me much so I couldn't care less if it was 640 by 480 but having to build a new base every level got tiresome real fast.

At least with WC3 they tried to change things around a bit.

19. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Not true--Starcraft, like all the Warcrafts, has pretty much the exact same formula of base-building levels mixed in with some "strategic" levels where you start with a certain number of units and have to use them to accomplish the goal (often rescuing other units along the way). Personally, I never much cared for those levels...base-building is a lot more fun....

--Eric

20. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Single player sucks in both games, its multiplayer I'm talking about.

I dont like the fantasy style of WC and the "hero" concept in a RTS game is too much. SC is plain, straightforward, really well-balanced game that will be alive for years to come :)

21. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

I have seen quite a few maps around the internet. Are all of these maps for multiplayer or are there some extra single player campaign style maps? I found quite a few single player maps for Starcraft. I probably won't be playing any multiplayer since I'm stuck on dial-up at my house.

22. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

if you want a good source of maps and mods n such, check out this site -

http://warcraft3.filefront.com/

I just installed it on my powerbook ( i keep finding programs i need to install! haha, the joys of trading laptops ) and i wound up staying up until 1:30am last night playing.. lol

23. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

w00t Warcraft/Frozen throne rules!!! Yes Very very worth it. very active comunity, awesome custom games in there too. I only play custom now too many idiots ont he standard ones.

The cds are universial between osx/os9/xp/win2000 just plop it in and install.

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Message me, i'll play with u :) always fun to play frozen throne.

25. Miguey macrumors 6502