warcraft junkie going through withdrawl - HELP!

Discussion in 'Games' started by drew_ibook_g4, Jun 23, 2005.

1. drew_ibook_g4 macrumors newbie

Okay, my combo drive crapped out on me, I ship my iBook out on monday for repair, leaving me with no War3! :[ I have warcraft installed but with my combo drive being a poophead I can't get it to read my war3 disc, is there anything I can do to play in the meantime? I thought about a no-cd crack but I couldn't find any, since I have warcraft installed is there another way to play without using my disc?

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

you can make a disc image and run the game off that, but you'd need the cd to do it in the first place... so that's no help. :( Good idea for when you get the CD drive working again to ensure that this never happens again though. :)

3. drew_ibook_g4 thread starter macrumors newbie

argg :[

I would kill to play some DoTA, lol

why isn't there a friggin no-cd crack for mac ? :/

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think I have a no-cd crack (edit: rather a small disk-image), that I can email to you when I'm home (in about 8 hours). Just PM me if you're interested.

5. drew_ibook_g4 thread starter macrumors newbie

that sounds perfect, is there anywere I could just download it right now?

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Don't know. IIRC, I downloaded it via bittorrent. I found the link on a site, but can't remember which it was, sorry.

7. haiggy macrumors 65816

Pfffft, who cares about Dota? You gotta play the real game man :p

8. efoto macrumors 68030

Agreed. It seems to me that all the people who think they are good have mastered dota....easy to master the only map you play :p
    It is a lot more fun to play online or even in a lan with random maps and random locations, normal resources etc.

9. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I paly warcraft 3 occasionaly and yet I have no idea what dota is. Anyone care to elaborate?

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

same! :confused: I used to play more than occasionally, too, and I had no idea then either...

11. efoto macrumors 68030

Do a GIS (Google Image Search, not to insult but I'm leaving) for "Defense of the Ancients WC3" and the two image that pop up are overviews of the DotA map.

It is basically a high vs. low rush to the center for all the cool stuff, then just a mass of leveling your hero until you can rush the other team. I watched a roommate play this same map over and over and over and over and over.....needless to say it got boring. For some reason, many die-hard WC3 players find this to be the best....not sure why :confused:

Haha, better yet, got to Wikipedia and search for "DotA", they actually have the map along with gameplay instructions and strategies :p :D LMFAO!

12. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Tree Tag the Invasion.

Now that is good map. Specially if you play a balanced version.

13. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Be happy its not wow if I was away from that for a week :eek:

14. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

DotA is for Warcraft III noobs who can't micro more then 1 hero/unit at a time. Warcraft III takes an exceptional amount of skill to be good. You really have to play it soo much to get good, unlike many other RTS's or FPS's where its common to only have 1 unit (or 1 group of units) to control. That's what I love about Warcraft, so much skill involved, and so much fun! But also extremely addicting... I've switched my addiction over to CS:S :) (btw my friend and I were once ranked 17th on the East in 2v2 AT - we played 2v2's allll the time).

Anyways, if you have another computer with FireWire, you can boot your iBook into FireWire Target Disk mode and then use the CD-ROM on the other computer to create a disk image (dmg) of the Warcraft III cd, and then pass the dmg over to the iBook via FireWire.. but it seems that the last patch (1.17?) disabled this... or maybe my computer was just having problems loading Warcraft off the disk image, who knows.

My 2¢ ;)