Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
I did post in another thread that I was playing Warcraft Legion and having fun with it, this was until I realized/found out the once you reach level 110 and do/level up professions the game becomes dead to you, well it dies before that actually as a solo player. Yes I know it is an MMO but there are lots of solo players out there and I feel that if they are buying into your game you do not kill it for them.

OK so you reach level 110, it then turns over to honor points, this system only involves doing raids and running dungeons that need a party and PvP to gain those points, so from there on in for solo players the game is dead you cannot move forward. They have also added party raids/dungeons into quest lines, so again for the solo player you cannot complete questlines. Then the professions, to gain certain items for some or maybe all professions you have to run party dungeons to gain items to move your chosen profession forward, running into the dungeon avoiding eveything and grabbing the items does not count, you have to be in a party.

I know somebody who has played Warcraft for years and last night they were ready to walk away because of what they have done to professions and that the upgrade has killed off the old garrison that they sunk a lot of their in game gold into and speny many hours building up.

Solo players be aware Legion is not for you :(

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
TBH garrison was the worst idea for an MMO. Isolating players in a private instance from wherein you could go to instances, pvp, raids without even moving a bit from your isolated instance, and thus rendering the need to be in a city with other people obsolete proved to be totally wrong. WoD had the highest player quit rate. At least in Legion players are meeting each other again out in the world.

However, the game indeed pushes players to go to raids, mythics or the - so called - mythics+ that require dedicated party and certain amount of ilvl gear. It is a dead end for anyone who doesn't want to do that, but as far as I can remember WoW always has been like that.

Reactions: Nermal

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
"Looking for group" dungeon running is almost like playing with 4 NPCs. people rarely talk/type. If you get a back group, queue up again later on.

Oudinot

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Birmingham, AL USA
World quests will allow content for advancement of gear and other items. You are either ill informed or intentionally being obtuse. As a warrior I only had to make two dungeon runs to fulfill my class quest line. I have played entirely by myself and have too much to do and not enough time to get it done. I think you need to step back and learn about the game rather than spouting off obvious nonsense.

Now if you want to discuss fury, arms, and protection nurfs......that's another story!

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Yes I have hung around trying to find a group only to be ignored :(

Last edited:

Oudinot

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Birmingham, AL USA
Don't like FUD whatever it entails. Your statements were without merit because you did not take enough time to even play the game. There are plenty of things to complain about but your comments were inaccurate not an opinion. Leveling is the very first thing you do before getting into the game. It only comprises a few percentage points of the entire game and is completed in a few days. WoW is a MMORPG. If you want a near completely solo game try Diablo III.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
This is how WoW has always been. In fact, it was worse in Vanilla, there weren't even dailies and stuff like that until the end of The Burning Crusade. I heard there are world quests and there's Sarumar or whatever that 110 zone is where you can do quests for rep and buy items. There's plenty of solo stuff to do at 110, although I will admit that 110 is still geared towards raids/instances/pvp/grouping in general.

You'll never be as well geared as someone who raids as a solo player.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Eventually you are pushed to do mythic 5-mans. That is not necessarily a negative point, but going solo and doing world quests will not get you far enough until you hit the wall. Class hall (via missions) also steers players towards mythics and raids. Story lines for every map area will also ask you to complete mythic dungeons eventually (every time that you earn revered status with a faction, IIRC).

All in all, I wouldn't bet that WoW is an RPG anymore since it actually consists of pre-made characters/classes that go and advance on pinned-down rails, and player has only a minimum control to this. But it definitely remains a pure Massive Multiplayer game.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
I did post in another thread that I was playing Warcraft Legion and having fun with it, this was until I realized/found out the once you reach level 110 and do/level up professions the game becomes dead to you, well it dies before that actually as a solo player. Yes I know it is an MMO but there are lots of solo players out there and I feel that if they are buying into your game you do not kill it for them.

OK so you reach level 110, it then turns over to honor points, this system only involves doing raids and running dungeons that need a party and PvP to gain those points, so from there on in for solo players the game is dead you cannot move forward. They have also added party raids/dungeons into quest lines, so again for the solo player you cannot complete questlines. Then the professions, to gain certain items for some or maybe all professions you have to run party dungeons to gain items to move your chosen profession forward, running into the dungeon avoiding eveything and grabbing the items does not count, you have to be in a party.

I know somebody who has played Warcraft for years and last night they were ready to walk away because of what they have done to professions and that the upgrade has killed off the old garrison that they sunk a lot of their in game gold into and speny many hours building up.

Solo players be aware Legion is not for you :(

While I agree they bastardized Professions, the rest of what you claim are a tad short-sighted. You get to 110. You do dungeons and world quests, and if you have the time raid. In 12 years, this has never changed. You're also talking about two entirely aspects of the game that generally have nothing to do with the other in PVE vs. PvP. The exception is for the oblit forge, but that's not more than maybe 30 minutes to complete in the sewers. There's one quest line which Blizz pulled the rug out from under everybody just a few hours prior to the first section of LFR opening up, and that was for the Balance of Power quest. I'd wait to see what they do before throwing the arms up over it. They're getting lots of complaints about the decision.

Far as the other person who has played for years walking away over...garrisons? I 100% guarantee that's not it. I've never met a single person who enjoyed WoD or the mess of Garrisons. Also, they made up whatever they spent within the first months. Nothing lost, much gained. Was possibly one of the first and only expansion where everybody and their mothers could gold cap and become multi millionaires without even going into the world. Many hours building up? Sounds to me like they regret even playing a game altogether more than the 3 hours it took to level a building from 1-3. Sorry, but they're excuses and weak ones at best.

Now, if you were complaining about how unbalanced classes are at the moment and all that that's actually the issues with Legion, then it'd make more sense.

Reactions: Oudinot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.