Warcraft3 + TFT on an ibook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by smurphur, Mar 10, 2005.

1. smurphur macrumors member

How is the ibook for warcraft3? Mainly on bnet, does it get low fps during big fights? I'm looking at just casually gaming, pretty much just war3 and older for games... but am not sure if I need a powerbook.

Thanks

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

War3 will run fine on an iBook, but better on a Powerbook. If you have a HUGE battle, you may see some slowdowns, but nothing too bad.

3. MeehMac macrumors newbie

I play Warcraft III : FT all the time on my 12" iBook. 1.2ghz/768mb RAM. Barely a hiccup! It'll also run on the standard 256MB RAM (but your HD will get pretty hot much faster).

4. link92 macrumors 6502

I played it on a 550Mhz Ti-PB for a while, ran fine, but now I've got a G5 :p

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

"Standard" WC3 and TFT ran fine on my sisters 933mhz G4 iBook. There was some slow down playing some of the custom maps like Three Corridors. All in all a good experience, though.

Rob

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

How do u guys manage to get smooth performance on you low-end Macs?
    I have eMac 700 with 640 MB RAM and W3 runs awfully on everything lowest 640x480...

7. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I run it on both of the machines (see sig)

Of course its not hard to guess which on does better :p

When big battles appear it does get a bit choppy, I guess the most annoying thing is having the fan screaming as well be I usually wear headphones or something

I found that performance was better in OS 9 when I owned an iBook but hopefully Blizzard is closing the gap on that

8. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Have you tried playing with the setting?

What I tend to do is put everything on high and work my way down, it might take a while since you have to start a new game to teset the setting but you never know, you might find better performance

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

WC3 is very sensitive to CPU speed and memory bus speed, I've noticed. Could just be that the eMac is just slow enough for that to show. Also, with just 32mb vram, you may be running out of room for textures at the higer settings. While the iBook I used was only a little faster (933mz) it has a faster FSB (I think), and also 2x the vram to go along with a more modern GPU (9200 vs GeForce2).

Maybe it's time to upgrade to a mini! ;-)

10. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Warcraft 3 runs no where near as good on OSX as it does on windows. I compared my 1.4ghz G4 to a 1.4ghz Athlon (running nearly identical video cards) and the PC was easily running twice as fast, and I never experienced any slowdown.

Thats not to say that its unplayable under the Mac. But should be performing better, considering its not all that high end of a game.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I used to play war3 on a 900 mhz G3 ibook, and my brother played on a 1Ghz emac. Both ran the game very well, if not quite perfectly. a new ibook will be more than fine.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

iBooks have 32 MB VRAM as well

I am planning to upgrade to iMac when Tiger comes out. I will want to try Motion :)