Warhammer, macbook or macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Syn-, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Syn- macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm a uni student looking at my options for a laptop for the start of school. I have been looking at macs seriously because of the screen quality, the build and the ability to use both XP and OSX.

I'm not a big gamer, but there are some games I seriously would like my laptop to be able to play. One of these games is Warhammer Dawn of war, or Winter Assault or Mark of chaos (whichever expansion you prefer:) ) Now I really feel like the macbook pro is to big for me and i dont need the graph card. But I'm afraid that playing the game on a regular macbook, which fits my other needs perfectly, will not be enjoyable.

From checking intel's site,
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel945gm/sb/CS-021400.htm
    You can see that warhammer is said to be compatible with the intergrated graphic in the macbook, but I would rather have some details from people actually running it on a regular macbook. How well is the action, is there any lag in multiplayer, etc.

Any comments or feedback is appreciated.

2. Syn- thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in a real hurry to buy this mac, which must be at my home before next saturday. Could anyone be nice enough to test out this game on their regular macbook? It would be much appreciated.:cool:

3. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

If you want to play any of the games that you mentioned with decent graphics and speed your gonna have to get a Macbook Pro with the extra graphics capability. I'm on a MBP and it handles those games perfectly in Windows (via Bootcamp).

The integrated graphics chip in the intel Macbooks will just barely squeeze by but the games won't be as enjoyable.

4. Syn- thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, and no one has tried to play this on their regular macbook? What settings could they play at? Because obviously the easy answer is buy the macbook pro, it's clearly better for that. But I'm interested more in playing games like sim city 4, the original black and white, warhammer... etc. I was just wondering at what settings and resolution is this game playable on a regular macbook.

5. StartTday macrumors newbie

If you're worried about settings and resolution. You should just get the MBP.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You'd be playing this on XP, right? Currently (and maybe forever) SC4 is not a Universal Binary - however, the Windows version runs excellently (most options on mid-high, max resolution) under XP on my MacBook. The MBP will, of course, run it better, but I haven't tried WH40K because I have no interest in that game.

7. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

8. LastLine macrumors 65816

Send me a pm in a day or two and I'll try it for you :)

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I can tell you that DoW/WA works VERY well maxed out on a MBP with the 128MB X1600 video card.

10. Syn- thread starter macrumors newbie

I made an order for a regular macbook. I'll post my thoughts on warhammer playing on regular macbook when i install it. Thank you for all your thoughts, the final choice came to simply the regular macbook is perfect for my needs and that for the price difference in the MB and MBP could be invested in a Wii when it comes out:p . Hopefully warhammer will be play well, but worst case scenario, I have been meaning to play sim city 4 for long while. ;)

11. Syn- thread starter macrumors newbie

Got my macbook last week and installed all I needed to use windows xp. Dawn of war runs really nicely in my opinion, it is very playable at mid settings for everything. I wish I could say the same thing about SimCity 4 which clearly wasnt made to run on intergrated graphic cards. The other downside was mac, which froze up often, my friend tells me its because some software still need to be emulated on the intel and something rosetta. Anyway, right now I'm running under xp but i am hoping that i can get past the freezing of osx, because i like the bundled softwares a lot.

12. robegian macrumors member

robegian

I have a MacBook too, but mine never freezes. Perhaps you are using some pre-Intel software?

By the way, if you didn't do that already, give RAM to the MacBook - at least 1GB. Mine has 2GB and runs pretty smoothly :)

13. ebuc macrumors regular

Anyone else read this title as "Warhammer [action figures] or Macbook or MacBook Pro"?

14. Syn- thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, considering how much it would cost to get a whole army with mutltiple vehicles, then it would be around the same price. :p

Well, considering I'm broke to upgrade ram right now, it will have to wait. But macosX lost round one, my mac friends are going crazy about this though, lol. They might end up pooling together to get me some ram if thats the case.:rolleyes:

15. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Get a MBP better for gaming. I believe the MB has shared video cards?

16. Syn- thread starter macrumors newbie

Already bought it if you see from my previous post viccles, and i must say I'm impressed by it's gaming capabilities. This makes a great laptop for anyone who wants to know. It seems able to do everything pretty nicely. And there is a lot of touchs on the build of the system that i would suggest this to anyone looking for a laptop, be it a windows or mac.:cool:

17. shifeng macrumors newbie

shifeng

guildwars?

Hi guys. I think i'm gonna have the same problem as syn-. i wan a MB definitely but i dunno about playing guildwars on MB. Anyone has any experience on it? it doesn't really matter if it doesn't run tho. I'll just not game. haha

18. w3xft macrumors newbie

Guild wars factions runs real nicely, high settings, native resolutions.

matter of fact, i bought guild wars last week just because i realized that its one of the few games that may be fully playable on the macbook at good settings.

unfortunately, im now hooked on the game.

19. shifeng macrumors newbie

shifeng

that's really really wonderful news! what's your config on your MB? You're running it on bootcamp?

20. kaboutertje macrumors regular

kaboutertje

Well Guild wars is just written amazingly good, it looks wonderfull yet still runs great on a 4 year old system.
    One of the few games that's playable with everything on at 1920*1200

21. LastLine macrumors 65816

Just to give this a kick - any news on Warhammer on a Macbook before I try it tomorrow?

22. LastLine macrumors 65816

Right I've installed Dawn of War and Winter Assault - I can play with most settings on full (I haven't tried with all on high as I dislike things like shadows and so on anyway but I have no reason to assume these wouldn't work)

The only minor niggles for me are as follows

It only plays in 4:3
    And the minimap overlaps where it should be slightly - but again not disruptive

Graphics and game speed are fantastic on my Macbook (1.83, 1gb - Windows media Center)

Hope this helps