Warner Music, Sony BMG and Universal going iTunes Plus very soon

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Doodledoo, Nov 21, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

For the latest information and update, please see my post on the next page.

OMG, I just opened up iTunes, casually clicked on iTunes Plus, and there I found new upgrade (DRM to DRM-free) songs for the first time in months; the two songs were Gnarls Barkley's Crazy and Neil Young's Hey Hey My My - both Warner Music songs. THIS IS NEW!

I live in Canada, and this means that Warner is going iTunes Plus, possibly a little early? Heh. To think we only heard about Sony!

EDIT: Pics - the upgrade screen itself and the album page for St. Elsewhere - it says right above that it's a Downtown Records (Warner subsidiary) album. Strangely, the page for Neil Young's album (where it comes right out and says Warner) shows no Plus logos but it's in my upgrade page, so whatever.

EDIT 2: Saturday; got another screen; this time for a Stevie Nicks song. The album page again shows no indication that it's iTunes Plus but it's in the upgrades! Modern Records - now Reprise, a Warner company. More proof! Will we see an announcement on Tuesday? Methinks YES!

EDIT 3: More proof: Crosby, Stills & Nash's Southern Cross shows up as iTunes Plus in the Genius Sidebar but not on its album page. Screen attached. I think it's basically official now... Same goes for much of the rest of their catalogue.

EDIT 4: MAJOR NEWS - I just saw an Edgar Winter song in the Genius Sidebar as iTunes Plus - he's with Epic, a subsidiary of Sony. Same thing with his album page not showing it. This means Sony is coming too. BIG NEWS. I guess the only thing left is Universal - TUESDAY WILL BE BIG!

Attached Files:

2. RTW
    macrumors newbie

Something definitely appears to be happening... I have about ten albums that suddenly appeared in my iTunes Plus, but they're almost all *Universal*. Not Sony, not Warners.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Whoa. This IS big. Any examples/proof?

I cannot WAIT for Tuesday!

4. RTW
    macrumors newbie

Sure. The Cure (Geffen). The Killers (Island). Nine Inch Nails (Interscope). Portishead (Go!-Universal Island). Simian Mobile Disco (Interscope). The Presets (Modular, dist. by Universal) etc.

Don't need a screenshot - you'll just have to take my word for it.:cool:

5. macrumors 6502a

MatLane

About time too

I hope it continues like this

I say

F*** DRM

6. macrumors regular

What do you mean "just appeared in my iTunes Plus"?

7. macrumors 6502a

MatLane

The update my library feature

Where iTunes alerts you when one or more of the tracks you have purchased become available in 'iTunes plus format'

8. thread starter macrumors regular

I believe you, lol.

Anybody else seeing any other examples? This is turning out to be one weird weekend.

9. macrumors 603

My 3 Doors Down iTunes Originals album has popped up on this list. Its copyright is from a Universal company.

10. macrumors 65816

MasterNile

11. RTW
    macrumors newbie

KMFDM is on Metropolis, an indie label, and has been available in iTunes Plus format for some time already. We're talking about the remaining majors (Warner, Sony, Universal).

12. macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

It shows my Universal music is upgradeable but it's not able to be purchased at this time. So looks like the announcement is pending.

13. macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Very nice surprise. Anxious to see what "New Tunes Tuesday" brings.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting, it's been purchaseable for me, but I haven't had any Universal music yet. Tomorrow cannot come fast enough!

15. macrumors 603

It's gonna be legen (wait for it) dary!!!!!!

16. macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

I would, but since the original iTunes Plus was introduced, I went and re-ripped all albums that I had originally ripped at 128kbps, and bought CDs to replace my drm'ed iTunes purchases; meaning that if I were to click on the buy button I'd be buying them for a third time... maybe it's my own fault, but I would like there to be an option to choose which albums you'd like to upgrade.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

PS 7digital lets you upgrade previously drm'ed music for FREE. So why not iTunes? Is that because iTunes is the 'leader' in this market?
    :)

17. thread starter macrumors regular

iTunes Plus has mysteriously disappeared from the iTunes navbar - it did the same thing a few weeks ago, but NOW it makes sense. It's still accessible - best way is to click on a genre in music and then the sidebar. (Link for the main page: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/iTunesPlusPage ) Wonder if there'll be a big announcement?

BTW, joelovesapple, you can pick individual songs to upgrade, just navigate through to the "songs to upgrade screen" and you get to pick and choose. Or you can just delete the files you replaced already from your library and they won't show up.

18. macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Where is that? I don't see it. It shows albums only. Will it show up if I click the buy button?:)

19. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I checked mine as well. I can upgrade U2 Live in Paris. It doesn't show up as iTunes + yet when you look at the album in the U2 section. U2 is universal.

20. thread starter macrumors regular

Oh... yeah, the pick-and-choose only works with individual songs you bought. Tough break, lol.

U2 - wow, things are getting bigger - big names. Eksellent.

21. macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Ah crap, it won't let me upgrade yet anyway. Says the file isn't there basically. So I could either wait til midnight UK time (my region), or tomorrow, after work. :(

22. thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean by "won't let me upgrade yet"? What is iTunes telling you?

23. macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

The item you tried to buy is no longer available.

24. thread starter macrumors regular

Heh. That's actually pretty funny. ...no longer available UNTIL TOMORROW! hehehe

25. macrumors 6502

Can't wait. About time we get rid of DRM on the rest of this stuff!