Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
lol, PC USERS HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT VIRUSES!

I am please to say I can't remember if I have ever had a virus, at work we have over 30 WinTel boxes and I can say that atleast 1 goes down per week because of a virus (we have a central NAV server)

Ensign

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
ha my school got hitt with a virus
don't know what one but it's funny...stupid gateways

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
I might be mistaken, but the way I see it - Windows itself is a virus. So talking about having any kind of virus on Windows is just redundant. ;)

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Oh, I love my Mac too, and I always have to snicker a little when another Klez variant pops up in my Entourage inbox, but before we get too smug, it's worth noting that there's more or less the same potential for viruses and other destructive code on OS X. We're enjoying the benefit of running a mostly brand-new OS that's running on less than 5% of all computers. If Apple had a bigger market share, more virus and trojan writers would be attracted to the platform, and it would be just as easy to, say, attach a compiled AppleScript to a message and somehow trick the recipient into opening it.

And it's not like the Mac has been a stronghold of virus protection in the past. God knows when I worked at the campus library in college we were always having to scour viruses from the floppies used to boot the SE/30s we had available to patrons.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
What a movie... LOL (And in my world, that means Lots Of Luck!)

Back in my elementary, when Windoze 95 was popular, the whole computer system got a virus and ran throughout our programs.

However, Macs are NOT completely virus secure. My dad owns a store in New York and he uses an iMac 500. One day my dad tried to boot up and he got an error, saying that the Hard Drive could not be found, or some **** like that. My dad tried to boot from the CD, and he got the same error. It took a phone call to the company he got his iMac shipped from (not directly from Apple) and he worked it out on the phone.

So just in case you guys happen to start downloading documents or opening attachments on a Code Red alert, similar to that of two years ago, there is no guarentee that just because you have a Mac you will be protected. But, I agree, PCs are virus prone.

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
Most "viruses" are lame. how many of you have ever gotten an email with the title "new game for you" or "re:look inside" and inside there is an attached/linked .exe file? I have a mac.com account and these things show up there. Now why would any spamer with half a brain try to send a pc tojan to a mac.com email address? Its even better when they try to spoof their email off of some email server only to find out that it wasn't anonymous, so right in the headers of the email is their actual email address. I know it sounds too stupid to be true but its happened. Some guy even made one that would contact his email account when the machine was infected along with that machine's current ip address. What the poor moron didn't think about was that since his email is in there any person with at least a little knowledge can get it. Ah it gets better and better.

But back to the topic, if a pc user thinks that their new teenie boping britney album can be compressed into a 15 kb file and they download it, they deserve to be infected. common sense, one of mankind's greatest deficiencies.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
the only reason why there are never viruses affecting us is becuase we have less than 5% of all the computers. What is the point of making a virus for a Mac, when you could make one that affects a whole lot more Windows machines?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by me hate windows
the only reason why there are never viruses affecting us is becuase we have less than 5% of all the computers. What is the point of making a virus for a Mac, when you could make one that affects a whole lot more Windows machines?
Agreed! I don't think Mac's are any less vulnerable to viruses than PC's, it's just the fact that know one bothers to write viruses for macs.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
I once wrote a Mac virus. It doesn't work anymore because it was written for OS 9. It was, as virii go, relatively harmless, but boy was it annoying. It involved an AppleScript or two, ResEdit, and the StartUp Items folder. The consequences: As soon as the machine boots up, it shuts down, and it also disabled the shift key.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
why did you do it for
but if there were no viruses norton would be out of buisness
I reckon norton make viruses and they send em out and then you go and buy norton.....its just to get more sales

Ludicrosity

macrumors member
May 8, 2002
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
lol, PC USERS HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT VIRUSES!

Bah, WINDOWS users have to worry about viruses. There's alot of us Linux users out there you know :p

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
I once wrote a Mac virus. It doesn't work anymore because it was written for OS 9. It was, as virii go, relatively harmless, but boy was it annoying. It involved an AppleScript or two, ResEdit, and the StartUp Items folder. The consequences: As soon as the machine boots up, it shuts down, and it also disabled the shift key.

and you did this because???????

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Originally posted by GeeYouEye

I hate to start a flame war, but really -- wtf is wrong with you??

gerror

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2001
Netherlands
My old school uses macs from the beginning and de systemguy told me he didn't had a virus ever. The only virus he got was when using virtual pc ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.