WARNING: New internet security theat......... ohh yeah its for windows

Discussion in 'Community' started by slipper, Feb 12, 2004.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

it was just on CNN, a new security threat allows for hackers to remotely access a windows PC allowing them to freely copy and delete files. hackers can also control specific functions of a company if its IT is based on windows. such as power plants, large corporations. etc. even the dept of homeland security is sending out warning emails. this is being typed on my apple:D

2. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Ya the patch for it came out yesterday.

Here is my minirant over at pocketpcthoughts.com

Now there is rumors that about 30% of Windows 2K source code may have been leaked on the net. MS is screaming that it isn't the case and its fake but if it is true. Oh my GOD!!! :eek: If something like that gets on the net companies are going to have to take entire networks off the net and lock down LANS/WAN to extremes that we have never witnessed before. Can you say virus activity of apocalyptic proportions.

3. zim macrumors 65816

zim

way to go comcast

My wife pointed out that there was an article on the comcast home page regarding the ms flaw... funny thing is, well not so funny, that in the pict they show a person using a powerbook...

Attached Files:

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i think you got it a bit wrong. for M$, i think it's monopoly first and monopoly second.

"features"?? what features? "security"??? what security? :confused: :rolleyes: :D

5. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Great. This is more serious than I thought. I guess I'm going to have to update the 100+ machines where I work. Anybody know how this affects peecee's behind a firewall??

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I'm eliminating the last 20 PC's in my district this spring, leaving, of course, the 700+ Macs. I'm a smart guy, eh?

7. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Les
    It sounds like you have a choice. Unfortunately, I don't. Therefore, I am stuck dealing with this issue. :rolleyes:

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Maybe the PowerBook in that picture shows what this new "patch" is. Perhaps it takes you to the Apple website where you are required to order a Macintosh so that you can finally become secure.

9. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I'm lucky enough to have the "power of god" in our tech plans. The final straw was our weather camera PC. Because of a hole in WIN 2000, simply running MS Internet Services opened a back door that someone took advantage of and placed the Blaster worm. (It came pre-configured from the company! I will trust no one again!) Fragged my network with 60 connections per second to the firewall, all but stopping services. Two days later, and 20 pounds lighter, I decided enough was enough. Now I'm on a jihad of my own... if a Mac even comes close to duplicating a vertical app, it goes in, and the PC's it replaces will be destroyed with sledgehammers. If one is not available, I look for a solution to accomplish the same thing. I'm too old to mess around with WIN issues, and I refuse to justify my position with the sub-title "You need me because of Windows flaws". We have work to do here. Screw Gates and his monoculture piece of crap OS.

10. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

OK. Offline file replication, active directory, fast bootup, hibernation (instead of sleep.), most commonly used apps in toolbar, cleartype OS wide, auto preview of files from the file browser, System Restore, built in theme engine, grouped programs on task bar, built in remote session using terminal server tech, encrypted file system (This is disk wide. Anything formatted with NTFS can have all folders encrypted), UPnP standard support, Device Driver Rollback, backward compatibility for legacy applications (DOS and Windows 9x.), software RAID support using dynamic disks, bandwidth sharing (e.g. Get to 56K modems. Dial out with those modems on the same computer and the OS can take advantage of both modems to increase your dialup speed. I used this in Windows 2000 while I was in a hotel in Chicago. The speed rocks.).....do you really want me to continue? Don't **** on Microsoft unless you know what you are talking about. The fact of the matter is that features sell. Security does not.

11. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

It's not as critical when a computer is behind a firewall but if your config is like most firewalls all the computers are behind that one firewall. When you are dealing with 100+ computers a single infection brought in from an outside source such as an e-mail can take down your entire system. The easiest method of dealing with this is to put an entry in your login script, assuming you are dealing with a DOMAIN authenticated network, to run the app with the following parameters (see attached image file.) What you can do is simply add and item to your login script that:

-Checks to see if a user is in a group, if not skips over that user and moves on to the rest of the scrip processing
    -If the user is in the group checks to see if a script generated file is in a predefined location. So lets say you make a file called MS04007.txt once the patch has applied successfully. IF that file exists the scrip stops running.
    -If the script doesn't find this file it creates a file in a location you determine called MS04007.txt then runs the patch with a patch such as:
    \\WINSERVER\vol1\patches\MS04007.exe /passive /forcerestart
    -Reboots the system. When the person then logs into the network the scrip looks for MS04007.txt. If it sees it, it skips the install circumventing the possibility of the patch being reinstalled.

Oh and for good measure before the scrip ends have it do this
    echo %username% >> \WINSERVER\vol1\verify\MS04007verify.txt
    This allows easy verification that the scrip ran on the user's system. In a perfect you would bundle the patch into a Windows SMS package that would do all this from a single executable but to do that an enterprising person might stumble across such software by PMing me a request. *looks at his shoes and whistles* ;) :)

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Comcast Picture is common. Comcast is a big Mac Advocate (Even though their Cable Internet setup software doesn't work with OS X). They use Macs and Mac OS in a lot of their commericals, and ads online. I've even seen that image before, it was on an online ad for their Cable Internet Access. Also, AT&T Broadband was even more Mac Centric, I think in their ads, I only saw one PC in 3 years.

TEG

13. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

SiliconAddict
    Thanks for the offer. Pardon my ignorance, though, as I'm not that knowledgable about networks, but what is a domain authenticated network? If it's any help all we run where I work is linux/unix for servers. No pc's.