Warning: New iPod nano will not charge with older docks and stereos

Discussion in 'iPod' started by neiltc13, Sep 10, 2008.

1. macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Here's a heads up for anyone thinking of buying the new iPod nano. Gizmodo has confirmed that Apple has dropped the firewire charging pin from the device.

They already did this to iPhone when they released the 3G version, meaning that when you connect it to a device like a speaker dock or a car stereo you won't be able to charge it. I've had this problem with my iPhone 3G and my car stereo and it is infuriating because I can't see any reason for them to remove the functionality other than to drive the manufacturing costs down by a few pennies.

2. macrumors 601

Schtumple

Every penny counts when your selling your hardware for free :p

3. macrumors 6502

It was a sad moment when I plugged my iPhone 3G into my Apple iPod Hi-Fi and it wouldn't charge :(

4. macrumors 6502

ScubaDuc

Apple is beginning to go overboard with the accessories stuff. Essentially this means I wont be buying any appliance with a buid in dock for they might change it it a "whim"....even if they call it "Universal" :mad:

My next iPod/phone is going to be a Nokia "touch" with build in FM streaming, TV out and VoiP.... Essentially it eliminates the need for more then 150 euros worth of Apple accessories...:(

5. macrumors 65816

iCantwait

well that sucks, that's two things that I have bought from apple in 60days that don't like FireWire charging, any news about the other iPods from the new lineup?

6. macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Seriously, why would they do such a thing? I'd rather pay an extra $5 or whatever to retain this. Glad I'm not in the market for a Nano.