Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
emptybox said:
Yes, when I ordered my PowerBook it came by FedEx. The iPods are shipped from China on a FedEx plane. I ordered accessories too so somewhere in this country my ordered was put together to be shipped to me by UPS. That's where I suspect the problem is. I don't know if Apple or UPS or FEdEx owns that facility but I think it's wrong to blame UPS just yet.
Wait, it shipped FedEx and arrived UPS? Something is terribly wrong.
Are you ordering through a third party? Are you sure you're at the right apple store? Perhaps a fraudulent one? http://store.apple.com

emptybox

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
TheDulcimer said:
Say, are the US ports safe? maybe it was involved with that.

Kingsly said:
Wait, it shipped FedEx and arrived UPS? Something is terribly wrong.
Are you ordering through a third party? Are you sure you're at the right apple store? Perhaps a fraudulent one? http://store.apple.com

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05226/553353.stm

all iPods come from China on flights by FedEx. Mine was delivered by UPS so somewhere in this country my order (with accessories) was put together for final shipment. This is where I suspect there is a problem.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Could you post your tracking # (or the detailed tracking info) from UPS? That might tell us a lot as to what could have happened.

It would look something like this example...

Service Type: GROUND
Weight: 12.00 Lbs

Package Progress:

Location Date Local Time Activity
DALLAS/FT. WORTH A/P, TX, US 02/17/2006 2:38 P.M. DELIVERY
02/17/2006 5:31 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
02/17/2006 2:52 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
MESQUITE, TX, US 02/17/2006 2:08 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
02/17/2006 12:06 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
EARTH CITY, MO, US 02/16/2006 1:21 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
02/16/2006 12:24 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
LEXINGTON, KY, US 02/16/2006 5:27 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
LEXINGTON, KY, US 02/15/2006 7:25 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 02/15/2006 6:45 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
emptybox said:
No, as described in this link:

all iPods come from China on flights by FedEx. Mine was delivered by UPS so somewhere in this country my order (with accessories) was put together for final shipment. This is where I suspect there is a problem.

ALL iPods come from China on flights by Fedex? Not only do I not believe this to be true (FedEx and UPS do not "trade" shipments, AFAIK) but this article does not support that claim. Only that one particular iPod that the writer ordered was shipped via FedEx.

emptybox

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Lancetx said:
Could you post your tracking # (or the detailed tracking info) from UPS? That might tell us a lot as to what could have happened.

Sure, here it is:

Package Progress:

Location Date Local Time
SAN MARCOS, CA, US 03/10/2006 11:12 A.M. DELIVERY

SAN MARCOS, CA, US 03/10/2006 6:20 A.M. OUT FOR DEL

ONTARIO, CA, US 03/10/2006 5:21 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

ONTARIO, CA, US 03/10/2006 3:39 A.M. DEP SCAN

ONTARIO, CA? US 03/09/2006 10:13 P.M ORIGIN SCAN

US 03/09/2006 6:09 A.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

* San Marcos is the local UPS hub.

This is where the culprits may be in my estimation:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 90

emptybox

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
dejo said:
ALL iPods come from China on flights by Fedex? Not only do I not believe this to be true (FedEx and UPS do not "trade" shipments, AFAIK) but this article does not support that claim. Only that one particular iPod that the writer ordered was shipped via FedEx.

Well, all iPods come from China and FedEx has something like 25 flights a day from China. The number of flights is regulated by our federal government. I don't know if UPS has flights from China or not, if not then the iPod is handed over at some collection/distribution point. Who owns that point I don't know but it may be Apple.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
UPS Employee here

I actually work for FedEx, my bro works for UPS and my parents adopted a kid from China who works for Apple over there.

Lemme tell yeah, your iPods are great! Thanks for ordering them, we are very happy with how they work.

Could you order just one more? We are still short, my bro and I have to share one.

emptybox

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
applemacdude said:
this thread makes my head hurt...
anyways apple will replace it and you will be happy...
then it all ends and this thread will die...

Well, somebody out there has my iPod. :mad:

I called the Apple Store near Ontario, CA and spoke to a manager there. He said that Apple has a depot in Ontario which his store gets deliveries from. He wouldn't give me a phone number or an address for the depot though.

I did a quick search on eBay and there are one or two sellers within 10 miles of Ontario (searched by zip code) who have auctions for brand new sealed iPods. One seller has at least four brand new iPods for sale including a White 30 Gig iPod - which is what I ordered...

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Uh...

If someone is selling SEALED iPods, they couldn't be yours, right? I mean...didn't you say you received an EMPTY BOX?

emptybox

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
appleretailguy said:
If someone is selling SEALED iPods, they couldn't be yours, right? I mean...didn't you say you received an EMPTY BOX?

I received an empty shipping box (brown box).

DAAANGIT

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
emptybox said:
I did a quick search on eBay and there are one or two sellers within 10 miles of Ontario (searched by zip code) who have auctions for brand new sealed iPods. One seller has at least four brand new iPods for sale including a White 30 Gig iPod - which is what I ordered...

When did they get listed?

emptybox

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
DAAANGIT said:
When did they get listed?

eBay has changed the listing format so I don't see the start dates. I checked again and the White 30 G is listed as new but no box.

Another seller is selling two 30 G iPod Videos, one 4 G nano in black and one 4 G nano in white. One of the auctions ends in just over an hour and is at $222.50 for a 30 G iPod video. How can these be legit? Who could make money off iPod except Apple?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The two warehouses I've been in that shipped electronics to folks would not let their employees bring bags/etc onto the shop floor, and monitored them when they left the floor so that they could not possibly "smuggle" any product out. I find it hard to believe that Apple wouldn't have a similar policy to prevent employee shrink.

I, for one, will continue to happily order stuff from the Apple Store online. :)

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Ringo said:
"Apple Computer International" anyone?
Aha!....duh!!

Ta for that! :rolleyes:

emptybox. I hope you get your iPod soon with no more complications.

Maybe Apple could make it your while and throw in some tubes or socks?! As a sorry? (I know it may not be directly their fault, but as we have discussed, its at least a slight possibility. It would just help bring them back in your favour perhaps?!) I'd always look for some sort of "sorry" gesture and reimbursement from at least one of the parties involved.

ke2000

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
big hell country
aristobrat said:
The two warehouses I've been in that shipped electronics to folks would not let their employees bring bags/etc onto the shop floor, and monitored them when they left the floor so that they could not possibly "smuggle" any product out. I find it hard to believe that Apple wouldn't have a similar policy to prevent employee shrink.

I, for one, will continue to happily order stuff from the Apple Store online. :)
stealing sucks.

UKLawTalkingGuy

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2006
London
Now I'm annoyed!

I opened this thread and when I looked inside it was empty.

I'm fashioning a Steve Jobs voodoo doll out of my old Tucano second skin as I type......

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
To prevent multiple posts, let me make one big one.

Flowbee said:
Dude, you were right... I think I found a picture of the guy who stole your nano. He just seems to be flaunting it. And notice... he doesn't have the box.

Best.Reply.Ever.

emptybox said:
instead of buying an iPod from Apple's online store they might decide to go buy one locally just to be safe.

Don't you love it when you answer your own questions. I ordered one from the online store just to prove to you that they come IN THE BOX.

emptybox said:
DO NOT ORDER AN IPOD FROM THE APPLE STORE ONLINE!

I did.

emptybox said:
Well, the point is that UPS sounded concerned (and they should be) and Apple seemed to just shrug it off as just another iPod theft. :rolleyes:

*sigh* You know why UPS is so concerned? Because there's a 99.9% chance that your iPod was lost/stolen under THIER care, not Apple.

emptybox said:

I could be wrong, but don't most Apple online store orders ship via FedEx or DHL, because my Nano that I ordered from the online store is shipping via FedEx, so did my iBook and my iMac G5, never heard of an Apple Store shipment via UPS...

UKLawTalkingGuy said:
I opened this thread and when I looked inside it was empty.

LOL!

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Uhm. Can we try to get somewhat back on topic, people?

I don't even know what your situation is anymore.... :rolleyes:

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
lilstewart92 said:
Uhm. Can we try to get somewhat back on topic, people?

I don't even know what your situation is anymore.... :rolleyes:

Simply:

He ordered a 30gb White Video iPod from Apple, it was shipping from China via FedEx - and somehow it suddenly became UPS' package, and when UPS delivered it, the iPod was gone, and the box had looked as if it was tampered with. Although as a few people in this thread have pointed out, myself included - Apple NEVER uses UPS to ship ANYTHING, it's either FedEx or DHL, so there's a big problem with his story, which is making us think less of him (at least I do).

Get it now Matt? ;)

raster

macrumors regular
May 15, 2005
West
How is it, that EMPTYBOX man joined yesterday and is a macrumors regular, and I joined last year sometime and is still a Newbie???

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
emptybox said:

There is no way in Hizzell that an ipod leaving China via FedX will be delivered to you through the hands of a UPS guy...

These are 2 companies in direct competition with each other... Hmmm we (FedX) can get it from china to Alaska... then we will give it to ups to deliver and split the profits with them... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.