WARNING Re: Pre-Installed iWork on New Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pimentoLoaf, Jun 27, 2005.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

If you buy a separate copy at time of purchase, it may not install, informing you during the process that "You cannot install iWork on this volume. A newer version of this software already exists on this volume."

Only that on my new iBook, I deleted the demo, assuming that like Microsoft Office 2004, you must do so before installing or else it won't.

Apple has changed the rules for this sort of thing and now I'm stuck with something I can't use -- though I haven't tried installing it on my 17" pb yet.

Bummer. :(

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Have you still got Pages/iWork/Keynote stuff in /Library/Receipts? That may be confusing the installer.

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

look to see if your iworks installation disk has an "uninstall" option.....i know MS Office has such a thing so maybe iWorks does too, a lot of software does......it should remove any trace of the demo version that came on your mac and then you should be able to install your purchase

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

iWork does not have an uninstaller.

5. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I never heard of a Receipts folder; when I looked in there and deleted the Pages & Keynote files, iWork installed without a hitch.

I searched my drive using Spotlight, but the receipts never showed.

Thanx for the tip, iMeowbot! :D :cool:

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yep that receipts folder is very very important.

i once accidently renamed that folder somehow, and i couldn't understand why i couldn't repair permissions, kept giving me an error.

then i realized what i had done :p