Warranty conundrum...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by crazytom, Sep 2, 2003.

1. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

OK. Here's the situation:

I purchased my Dual GHz MDD from the Apple Store on July 22, 2002 and received it some 5 days later. On June 28, 2003, my Combo drive fried. I haven't done anything with it since because my time has been limited. Here's the main question: will Apple still honor the warranty (because the defect came within the one year period) or will they blow me off because I waited too long to contact them?

I'm betting they'll blow me off.

Anyone care to take any bets? I'll be calling Apple tomorrow afternoon!

2. maraczc macrumors member

Sorry to say it but you're unlikely going to get it fixed for free. On the other hand how'd you live without a drive for over two months?

3. crazytom thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I have a Superdrive also. The Combo Drive was faster for ripping (and cheaper to replace if it broke).

What if I could prove that it died on a certain day? I have another post about the death of the drive as reference (at the time, I thought my warranty had expired---boy was I wrong :mad: )

4. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

If you had contacted them that day you might have been able to work something out, but you have no way of proving to them that this happened back then and not just a day or two ago, so I'd say it's very unlikely they'd honor it under warranty.

5. crazytom thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Yes, I'm an idiot for not remembering exactly when I got my machine---or if the warranty starts from purchase or receipt of the product...

Here's the 'proof' post.

It's timestamped...at least I don't think anyone can change that...:confused:

6. crazytom thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Well, all of you that bet that Apple would hose me win! The catch was that it wasn't documented (in their database) before the expiration of my warranty. Oh well, live and learn. I picked up another CD burner already for $16 that works just fine.

The CSR was nice, though, but I didn't say anything to make him angry. Sometimes being pleasant pays off, sometimes being a jerk pays off. I couldn't play the jerk card 'cause all I had in my hand was stupid! :D

7. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Yep. But to imply they're hosing you is BS. The only person who was doing any nosing was yourself--you hosed yourself. :)

Sorry to say...i would have called the day it happened. And when stuff has gone wrong I have.

If they did that for everything... christ. I can see it now:

"My G3 died in 1999.... but I forgot to call. Fix it under warranty, please?"

Sorry. But glad you found a solution

8. crazytom thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Yes, I agree that 'hosed' is an inappropriate term for this situation. I have others situations with Apple that it would apply to (for example, my Windtunnel that I'm listening to now-even with the 'replacement PS+fan'; + the fact that Core Audio has made my $1500 investment in audio cards nearly worthless).

I believe I also admitted that I screwed the pooch (thanks for being concordant with me).

I would have, too, but that day I left town for two weeks, only to get back to a stack of work to do with no time to crack open my machine and dink around. Plus, as I stated, I didn't exactly have my invoice taped to my monitor.

Easy there, Tiger. I'm almost insulted.
    I do have it documented in two places (forums), that have time/date stamps that it happened. I'm not the kind of person to make stuff up to get something for nothing. I thought that that, and maybe my purchasing two G4's, FCP, DVDSP, iLife, 30G iPod + $$$ in software upgrades (read: customer loyalty) ~might~ have some effect on something as piddly as a $60 replacement drive that was reported one week after the warranty expired.... This isn't to say that I'm right, it's only to say that it was worth a try.

Thank you. Hopefully others will learn from my lesson.