Warranty expires in 5 days....AppleCare?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by daneoni, Oct 21, 2006.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

The warranty on my 5G iPod runs out in 5 days and im considering getting AppleCare for it since its only 30 quid but friends are saying its a poor investment and that iPods are meant to be replaced not repaired.lol

Anyhue i actually love this iPod, its been rock solid, i dont use a case with it (just martin shields overlay) and have dropped it several times but its still works like the day it was taken of its box. Also i've only had to reset it...maybe thrice since the past year. It also serves as a backup drive for me and battery life still commands 11+ hrs All in all very very impressive.

Part of me thinks of forgoing AppleCare and just having faith that it'll continue to work for at least another year But these products have a way of failing as soon as their warranty runs out. I would also prefer to skip the first revision of the true video iPods when they ship as i'd rather not be a beta tester, given Apples recent quality control.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

2. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I thought it was $60... and I planned on getting it, if its really $30 I know I'm going to.

Long story short, I would. (Coming from someone who has never bought an extended warranty on anything ever)

3. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

Get it! Since you do like it so much it would be a good investment.

4. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Sorry i should have written quid not bucks i.e its 30 pounds not dollars. I guess you're right, afterall it doesnt cost an arm & leg and the piece of mind is worth it.

5. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

GEET IT! you know it'll break 6 days from now, and how would you feel then??

even if it works fine, battery life is always diminishing and you'll want to replace it for sure in the next year.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It depends on how much you're affected by Sod's Law.

If you intend to keep it for another year, £30 sounds like peace of mind.

I think I'll also Applecare my iPod too. Like you, I'll probably wait for a 'video iPod' for quite a long while because first of all I'm not convinced I'll use video features (I never do on the 5G, I usually sit down to watch video podcasts on the Mac) and secondly I plan to get a Zune for the heck of it.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've had my 4g 40 GB iPod for nearly 2 years, or has it been longer? Except for playback issues, I've not had a problem. Perhaps, I'm just lucky.

Unless you've noticed some oddities in yours, I'd say not to do it, but for a full-sized iPod, it's not that much more money.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

my virgin ears!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    lol j/k

9. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Not sure how I missed the 30 QUID. Oh well, my mistake.

My 40GB 4th gen is only a little over a year old and it is acting really quirky and has almost no battery life remaining.

It has never been dropped and been in a Contour show case its whole life.

I just grabbed an 80GB to replace it, I will most likely get apple care for it almost a year from now.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You might try a replacement battery for the 40 GB: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/BIPOD1350MPH/

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have to say it would be stupid not to get it. My iPod worked perfectly until 2 weeks before the warrenty ran out. I bought apple care and the iPod has been replaced 4 times since. If I hadn't bought it I would be screwed right now. Just do it.

12. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I just saw this and feel the same way, i might also get a Zune. I'm just bored of the whole iPod thing. its like everywhere i go there are white headphones or immitations. Call me crazy but its time something else came along...i just hope its as easy to use.

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yeah, Without seeing it of course it's hard to tell, but if any company can come out with something that's at least a half-decent copy of stuff by Apple and add it's own more populist spin to it then it's M$. No other player I've used has been even 50% as usable as an iPod. Hopefully Zune edges above that.