Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Basically I need some advice on something.
I have an iPod touch 4gen thats warranty is about to end. Despite the fact that I have a really bad battery, touchy home button, and a fuzzy display they keep on saying it is within spec. I have two options that I currently have:
Option #1- Buy applecare for 70$ to extend the warranty for another year (although this seams to be a waste as they instant my unit is fine)
Option #2- Out of warranty replacement: This will cost 150$ (a little less) and I can do this for another 2 years I believe. I am leaning towards this because Even though it is more money I can just get a new unit without any of this "within spec" garbage.

Which would you do?
Thanks

GeniusJon

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Canada
Did you speak with an Genius at an Apple Store in person? Or did you send it in for repair?

If its the former, try another Apple Store. You might get a nice Genius that might pull some strings and replace it for you. I see you're from Toronto, try the Apple Store at Fairview, they have nicer people.

If all else fails, or you just want a brand new iPod, just go with option 2. You get a brand new iPod that way. :)

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Did you speak with an Genius at an Apple Store in person? Or did you send it in for repair?

If its the former, try another Apple Store. You might get a nice Genius that might pull some strings and replace it for you. I see you're from Toronto, try the Apple Store at Fairview, they have nicer people.

If all else fails, or you just want a brand new iPod, just go with option 2. You get a brand new iPod that way. :)

Yes, I went to a genuis. I went to the Sherway store which I hate! Thanks for the suggestion. I may go to square one also!
Thanks again.

Chi-mex

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
.....behind you
If you think that the unit is going to continue to become horrible, then go with option 1. Put up with it till it comes under the warranty specs and then send it in. You will save money, but have to put up with is longer
If you just can't stand it right now and think that it is going to slowly detiriorate over teh course longer than the AppleCare, then go with option 2 and just get a new one.

My advise, option 2, because if i know Apple products, they will become unusable very slowly, not all at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.